SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Let's see.

- Playing for the former UND coach (I'm sure that UND hockey stories were never told at the rink).

- Playing 75 miles from the University of North Dakota in front of a lot of hockey fans that also support UND.

- Dealing with media that also cover UND hockey.

- Watching UND hockey highlights on TV all year and/or reading the newspaper stories about UND hockey all year.

- Possibly attending a game or more at the Ralph (along with 11,000+ fans) since it is only 75 miles away.

Nope, I can't figure out why a player might think about what it would be like to play for UND without being recruited. :angry:;)

Yeah I am sure he got to see UND a lot and and read about them all the time in the Fargo paper. Maybe he saw what is going on at C.C. said ah I think I might want to be a fighting Sioux. St Clair has also been at the Ralph and seen the facilities skated on the ice and probably thought about it and changed his mind. UND is also a good way to get to the NHL if you want to play in the big time. UND is highly regarded by the NHL coaches.

Let's see.

- Playing for the former UND coach (I'm sure that UND hockey stories were never told at the rink).

- Playing 75 miles from the University of North Dakota in front of a lot of hockey fans that also support UND.

- Watching UND hockey highlights on TV all year and/or reading the newspaper stories about UND hockey all year.

- Possibly attending a game or more at the Ralph (along with 11,000+ fans) since it is only 75 miles away.

Nope, I can't figure out why a player might think about what it would be like to play for UND without being recruited. :angry:;)

Exactly, I'm sure none of that hurt our cause. ;)

Let's see.

That sums it up pretty well I would imagine. It works for me though. Too bad it's double-bad that Blais is coaching at UNO now (1. Not as much recruiting help down in Fargo, 2. he'll be coaching in our conference next year and recruiting some of the same players).

Not as much recruiting help down in Fargo ...

:angry:

Fargo's new coach is Steve Johnson. I think he has some sort of tie to UND ...

As a player, Johnson enjoyed a stellar collegiate career at the University of North Dakota. He recorded 191 points (70g, 121a) over 153 games during his four seasons and was a part of the team that won the 1987 NCAA Championship under then head coach Gino Gasparini. Johnson was a Hobey Baker Finalist in his senior season (1987-88) after scoring 85 points (34g, 51a) in 42 games.

I think the assistants may have heard of UND also given they both wore Sioux jerseys.

I think the assistants may have heard of UND also given they both wore Sioux jerseys.

and under blais we had no current recruits and now 2 under johnson but that was a timing thing as well with it being fargos 1st season. either way would have been great for the sioux.

I understand that, but Blais has that x-factor. A smooth talking, "kick you in the ass and get going" type guy. I don't know Steve & Co.'s coaching/recruiting history as well as I do Blais. That's the reason for the comment. I'm not saying Steve can't do it, but Blais has a history of bringing in big time players and knows how to push a kids buttons.

I understand that, but Blais has that x-factor. A smooth talking, "kick you in the ass and get going" type guy. I don't know Steve & Co.'s coaching/recruiting history as well as I do Blais. That's the reason for the comment. I'm not saying Steve can't do it, but Blais has a history of bringing in big time players and knows how to push a kids buttons.

Steve Johnson's coaching record. Other than 2003-2004 it looks pretty good. He might know what he's doing as far as handling players.

Season Team Lge Type GP W L T OTL Pct Result

1995-96 Fargo-Moorhead Bears USHL Head 46 27 17 1 1 0.609

1996-97 Lincoln Stars USHL Head 54 40 13 0 1 0.750

1997-98 Lincoln Stars USHL Head 56 38 17 0 1 0.688

1998-99 Lincoln Stars USHL Head 56 29 20 0 7 0.580

1999-00 Lincoln Stars USHL Head 58 41 16 0 1 0.716

2000-01 Lincoln Stars USHL Head 56 43 7 0 6 0.821

2001-02 Lincoln Stars USHL Head 61 43 15 0 3 0.730

2002-03 Lincoln Stars USHL Head 60 37 14 0 9 0.692

2003-04 Lincoln Stars USHL Head 60 27 29 0 4 0.483

2004-05 Lincoln Stars USHL Head 60 37 17 0 6 0.667

2005-06 Lincoln Stars USHL Head 60 34 20 0 6 0.617

I'm sure Hakstol did a wonderful job recruiting him during that five minute period between breaking it off with CC and committing to UND.

Just for clarification; So are we putting you in the same category of the GPL truthers that think it's Hak's fault that St. Clair decommitted from C.C. and chose UND?

Just for clarification; So are we putting you in the same category of the GPL truthers that think it's Hak's fault that St. Clair decommitted from C.C. and chose UND?

This should be a non-issue, after reading Brad's Blog today. St. Clair clearly says that he made the decision on his own, and that he jumped the gun on committing to CC in the first place.

This should be a non-issue, after reading Brad's Blog today. St. Clair clearly says that he made the decision on his own, and that he jumped the gun on committing to CC in the first place.

I would be that there are still people that would still think Hak recruited him and got him to change his verbal.

It's funny that Chris Dilks is a UND hating jackass of a troll when on his blog he's a Minnesota hating jackass of a troll.

So what Chris doesn't like UND? Who cares?

Why would I waste time branding Chris into such a corner as the one we put happy and his crew?

Right now there are a LOT of fishy recruiting things going on in the NCAA. Admittedly, most of them don't involve UND (most of them involve UW).

But UND is a team that many love to hate. Why else would we bear the brunt of having an evil nickname while the Seminoles get off scott free? Why are there certain times when JimDahl must restrict signing onto this message board?

Why must Brad Schlossman moderate his blog and even then is forced (through the first amendment and intellectual freedom) to still allow some really bad posts?

Minnesota fans claim that they are the most hated NCAA school in sports and I can't argue with them. They have more DI sports than UND and they are a bigger program overall than UND. However, in the arena of hockey, if Minnesota is #1, surely UND is #2.

That's ok. I'm actually ok with Chris disliking the Sioux. I am ok with Gopher fans voicing their displeasure with all things Sioux.

I just can't abide by UND fans acting like idiots towards other fanbases and, even worse, towards their own fanbase and team.

Minnesota fans claim that they are the most hated NCAA school in sports and I can't argue with them.

I would agree solely in hockey, but in all combined sports (like it seems you are suggesting), I doubt it. No one outside of the upper midwest gives a hoot about Minnesota in anything other than hockey. Not sure who that designation would go to for sure, but it doesn't really matter either.

It's funny that Chris Dilks is a UND hating jackass of a troll when on his blog he's a Minnesota hating jackass of a troll.

So what Chris doesn't like UND? Who cares?

Why would I waste time branding Chris into such a corner as the one we put happy and his crew?

Right now there are a LOT of fishy recruiting things going on in the NCAA. Admittedly, most of them don't involve UND (most of them involve UW).

But UND is a team that many love to hate. Why else would we bear the brunt of having an evil nickname while the Seminoles get off scott free? Why are there certain times when JimDahl must restrict signing onto this message board?

Why must Brad Schlossman moderate his blog and even then is forced (through the first amendment and intellectual freedom) to still allow some really bad posts?

Minnesota fans claim that they are the most hated NCAA school in sports and I can't argue with them. They have more DI sports than UND and they are a bigger program overall than UND. However, in the arena of hockey, if Minnesota is #1, surely UND is #2.

That's ok. I'm actually ok with Chris disliking the Sioux. I am ok with Gopher fans voicing their displeasure with all things Sioux.

I just can't abide by UND fans acting like idiots towards other fanbases and, even worse, towards their own fanbase and team.

Holy Cow! I think the fact remains that all fan bases have jack asses. A lot of people hate UND because our team has done so well if we were a door mat team like UAA where no ones watches us no one would care. I think a lot of it is jealousy. The internet allows some to say things they wouldn't say in public for fear they would get creamed. I doubt people would call Joe Finley a hack to his face. They might once.

Holy Cow! I think the fact remains that all fan bases have jack asses. A lot of people hate UND because our team has done so well if we were a door mat team like UAA where no ones watches us no one would care. I think a lot of it is jealousy. The internet allows some to say things they wouldn't say in public for fear they would get creamed. I doubt people would call Joe Finley a hack to his face. They might once.
I stand by my comment - for what it's worth, I'd have absolutely no problem saying the same thing to him in person. I doubt the troll could say the same (i.e. making his comments in person to Hak) - one of those icy glares from Hak would turn him into a human popsicle more completely than the most advanced cryogenics lab.

I stand by my comment - for what it's worth, I'd have absolutely no problem saying the same thing to him in person. I doubt the troll could say the same (i.e. making his comments in person to Hak) - one of those icy glares from Hak would turn him into a human popsicle more completely than the most advanced cryogenics lab.

Just for the record I dont' think your a troll, I am talking about the anon skippies that spew stuff on the internet under anon names or monikers that would never say this stuff to these people they attack if they were standing face to face, frankly because they know they might have to pay the pipper. Like I said before I would love these clowns to say these hateful things to finley et al and or others. I should have been more clear. I said you comment might have been a little harsh thyat's all but I was impressed with the Smarminess comment: per free dictionary; Hypocritically, complacently, or effusively earnest; unctuous

That bein said while some fans might not like the Sioux or their players or their coach at least our team is making the playoffs and winning.

Go ahead hater hate us.

You have read his blog, haven't you?

Yes, I've read his blog.

I enjoy it when he gets the MJ lovers' knickers in a twist by even suggesting that the MJ is a sham in even the most remotest of regards. I am aware that he is, somehow, both a fan of MSUM and of Michigan hockey.

So he spins things a little bit "off." So what?

It's easier to read when you know he isn't a Sioux fan. Then you can see the positives even when he hides them. Case in point: the Frattin fiasco. Normally, he'd be all over that and flaming away. When Frattin was dismissed from the team, he merely stated the facts and moved on. That, despite what you may want to believe, is positive UND press. Sure, if this happened in Mankato and Jutting did the same thing, he'd be crowing and calling MSUM the finest of upstanding disciplinary hockey programs, but nevertheless...

Hey, it's not like we've been all that cordial to Mavs and their fans on this board either.

Big A - I admit I was a bit too over the top in that comparison. Perhaps at one time all things Minnesota was hated, but over time and during certain coaches' tenures, different UMN programs went down the toilet (I'd like to see a Minny fan defend Glen Mason or whoever the idiot/idiots were that preceded Tubby Smith) and they became laughing stocks (especially basketball).

I guess each sport has its own microcasm. I dislike nearly every team ESPN promotes... like Duke/UNC in basketball, USC, OU, UT, Miami, FSU in football, Red Sox, Yankees, Phillies (to an extent) in baseball, LA, Boston, San Antonio, and Dallas in NBA... and so on. I've even taking a disliking to PLAYERS ESPN adores like the almost daily fellating of Albert Pujols. So.. yeah.

That and I'm extremely frustrated and jaded by the Chicago Cubs.