SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Anyone heard anything else about where Nolan Zajac is going to school? I don't really wanna go back through the whole thread.

I believe that he is still in high school and is headed to the USHL. Let me check.

Edit: Brad posted on May 13th on his blog that Nolan was taken by Cedar Rapids in the first round of the USHL Entry Draft.

Anyone heard anything else about where Nolan Zajac is going to school? I don't really wanna go back through the whole thread.

Pretty sure he wants to go to college (month old article): http://sports.iowa.com/2009/05/constructin...y-teampart-two/

Hockey Canada scouting report (couple months old. He's reviewed at the bottom of page): http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php/ci_id/61292/la_id/1.htm

And you can watch a video highlight and interview with him from Winnepeg's CTV here (he's about nine spots down from the media player, just click on his name) : http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews...ub=WinnipegHome

Two local players were retained by their USHL teams Alex Simonson graduated in 2008 from Red River and Danny Wurden who is from Grand Forks but a 2007 graduate of Fargo South. I don't know the future of these two players just thought i'd put it up here.

I have seen Wurden play in the USHL several times, while he doesn't have that star quality, I liken him to a Marto with a little less speed and offensive up side. I am kinda surprised that he hasn't been offered a scholarship by someone yet. He is solid defensively and could be a pretty good middle D man for some team out there.

I have seen Wurden play in the USHL several times, while he doesn't have that star quality, I liken him to a Marto with a little less speed and offensive up side. I am kinda surprised that he hasn't been offered a scholarship by someone yet. He is solid defensively and could be a pretty good middle D man for some team out there.

Last year at about this time he had been talked to by CC and a team from out east, I think he might've been waitin for UND to talk to him though. Also grades might be an issue.

Do we need another one of those types? I don't think so personally.

Do we need another one of those types? I don't think so personally.

I wasn't suggesting that UND pick him up, just that he would make a good addition to almost any team (maybe outside of the top WCHA teams) and it would be nice to see a local kid make good. Don't assume all praise = UND material.

No you're right who would want another Marto :glare:

We need to shore up the defensive side of our defensemen before going after more offensive defensemen. This year we already have Genoway, Marto, Gleason, and LaPoint (to an extent). Next year we'll have all of them besides Genoway.

I'd love to have a defensive tandem or two that are pure shut-down defensive pairs that are out there to stop the top opposing line(s). When you have these defensemen that essentially play as forwards you are losing that defensive edge which is the main reason they are out there.

And what has Marto done that makes him so special?

Marto's developed into a nice player. He is incredibly fast and a skilled skater in all regards. He started to jump into the play offensively some last year and scored some nice goals on the rush. I also rarely noticed him jump up at the wrong time. This tells me he is a very smart player too. Opportuisitic, smart, and great feet. He's not Paul Coffee or even Travis Roche, but he aint bad. He can skate on my team as a 3rd or 4th dman anytime.

Marto's developed into a nice player. He is incredibly fast and a skilled skater in all regards. He started to jump into the play offensively some last year and scored some nice goals on the rush. I also rarely noticed him jump up at the wrong time. This tells me he is a very smart player too. Opportuisitic, smart, and great feet. He's not Paul Coffee or even Travis Roche, but he aint bad. He can skate on my team as a 3rd or 4th dman anytime.

Personally I think Marto is a nice player and I am happy he is at UND.

I don't disagree about Marto and what he brings. I just don't think adding more "Marto's" makes your team that much better. Jake was not a defensive liability last year, nor an offensive powerhouse. He did his job for the most part and made a few good plays. I'd like to see more big guys that shut down offenses instead of so many small defensemen that are used for offense more than defense.

I'd like to see more big guys that shut down offenses instead of so many small defensemen that are used for offense more than defense.

I would have to say that I would like to see more defenseman like that as well. Teams like Boston College always seem to have a few like that as well.

I don't disagree about Marto and what he brings. I just don't think adding more "Marto's" makes your team that much better. Jake was not a defensive liability last year, nor an offensive powerhouse. He did his job for the most part and made a few good plays. I'd like to see more big guys that shut down offenses instead of so many small defensemen that are used for offense more than defense.

Hill is 6'3" and 197 pounds. He's a little on the light side at that height, but he's not a small defenseman.

Question is, can he skate? I'd really like him to gain some weight. Maybe come in at 205-220 range.

Hill is 6'3" and 197 pounds. He's a little on the light side at that height, but he's not a small defenseman.

Question is, can he skate? I'd really like him to gain some weight. Maybe come in at 205-220 range.

Holy cow he is going to have to get on the Tyler Arnason Diet of Big Macs and Double Quarter Pounders with cheese. :glare: