SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I'm not putting down our current players or recruits, just wishing we would another Oshie or Toews soon. We need this type of talent.

We already have another Toews. :)

Players like Oshie, Parise, Toews, etc don't come around all that often. And often times, when they do, they opt for MJ instead of collegiate. How many current NCAA players would fall under the "uber-elite" recruit status? Maybe JVR, Wilson, Schroeder, etc? Not many. And chances are that all three will be playing AHL/NHL next season. I would love to see the Sioux land another Parise, but I also am excited to see what the current crop of recruits can do, because there are some high quality players in that bunch.

You just listed 5 elites that we have had since the New Ralph opened. I don't see anyone at that level for the past 2-3 years (longer if you include the classes that have not come in yet). I'm not saying we don't have some great players, but I feel we need some top end (first rounders) in the mix. UND used to be a prefered school to top end talent because they felt they would develop most quickly under Blais (think Parise). I hate to see us get away from landing the blue chippers. Our past 4 years in the frozen 4 have been largely as a result of their contributions (Toews, Oshie). Think where we would have been without them. Again - I'm not putting down our current players or recruits, just wishing we would another Oshie or Toews soon. We need this type of talent. Tell me with a straight face that we would have had a couple of 4 year players instead of Oshie and Toews.

everyone knows that its great to have toews and oshies and parises and its great they came to und. they havent had that level of a player since that class of 12 players. right now forbort and nick mattson are very highly ranked for 2010. the frozen 4 runs were amazing and fun and with no banner as well. that has nothing to do with talent as it was there so maybe this year they can shock many and get there again. you are right, the top tier top 25 draft pick players havent landed at und this last 3 years. im sure that wont last long though. just may be a spell right now but they still have played some slid hockey losing many of those top players. go sioux this weekend!!

you are right, the top tier top 25 draft pick players havent landed at und this last 3 years. im sure that wont last long though. just may be a spell right now but they still have played some solid hockey losing many of those top players. go sioux this weekend!!

Well said and I thought/think that this years squad is as ballanced as any I have seen, we have four lines contributing, sure we don't have AS much high talent but I think Frattin, Trupp, Gregoire, Dunc, VV, Toews and Hextall are pretty darn talented. (I am sure I missed someone)

You just listed 5 elites that we have had since the New Ralph opened. I don't see anyone at that level for the past 2-3 years (longer if you include the classes that have not come in yet). I'm not saying we don't have some great players, but I feel we need some top end (first rounders) in the mix. UND used to be a prefered school to top end talent because they felt they would develop most quickly under Blais (think Parise). I hate to see us get away from landing the blue chippers. Our past 4 years in the frozen 4 have been largely as a result of their contributions (Toews, Oshie). Think where we would have been without them. Again - I'm not putting down our current players or recruits, just wishing we would another Oshie or Toews soon. We need this type of talent. Tell me with a straight face that we would have had a couple of 4 year players instead of Oshie and Toews.

I agree, we do need to have some blue chip players, and as I listed we have had some in the past. The point of my post was that UND never has been like Michigan and in the sense that their whole team is full of blue chip players. I would not want to see the coaches soley recruiting the best 14-15 year old Hockeybaked AAA players they can get every year. I like the idea of having balance on our team.

I think we have as much talent on this team as we have had on any team since the new rink--it's just spread more evenly up and down the lines. A lot of people will say that's crazy, and with the record so far, maybe they're right. We do miss that player who can destabilize the other team's defense every time he's on the ice. Vanek, Heatley, Parise, Toews, Gerbe all did that.

Still, I really like this team. If they can get stellar performances from BE and sweep this weekend, look out.

I think we have as much talent on this team as we have had on any team since the new rink--it's just spread more evenly up and down the lines. A lot of people will say that's crazy, and with the record so far, maybe they're right. We do miss that player who can destabilize the other team's defense every time he's on the ice. Vanek, Heatley, Parise, Toews, Gerbe all did that.

Still, I really like this team. If they can get stellar performances from BE and sweep this weekend, look out.

I agree that this may be the most talented team - top to bottom - in awhile.

I love watching the top end guys play for the Sioux as much as the next guy. How fast can you name the last first round pick prior to Parise? I had trouble with it because prior to Parise I think there were only 6 first rounders that played for the Sioux. If you look at those Parise and after, the Sioux were fortuate to have geography on their side (Oshie - who I believe was a surprise, Lee - Moorhead, Zajac - Winnipeg) and some luck (I have to believe that Toews playing with Chorney was a major reason he came here, wasn't he the #1 pick in the WHL draft.). Parise was probably the biggest actually recruiting "win". It just isn't realistic to expect first round picks every year or even every few years. 1. Fighting Sioux or not we are in North Dakota. 2. A large recruiting area for us is Canada where a lot of the top end picks go the MJ route. 3. I would bet that most of high end players that go to college either are on the USNDT or are from the MLPS metro area. Michigan and the east get the USNDT and UMTC (it pains me to admit) most times can have their pick of players from that area. But the coaching staff has still assembled strong talent the last couple of years, just look at the number of draft picks. Most or tied for most (I think) the last couple of years.

And the last first round pick was David Hale. I'm embarassed to admit I had to look it up.

I agree, we do need to have some blue chip players, and as I listed we have had some in the past. The point of my post was that UND never has been like Michigan and in the sense that their whole team is full of blue chip players. I would not want to see the coaches soley recruiting the best 14-15 year old Hockeybaked AAA players they can get every year. I like the idea of having balance on our team.

Michigan can keep their team full of blue chippers...the Sioux have owned them the past few years...I'm sure that just frosts Red Berensen's ass...

I think there is one thing that everyone here can agree on, there is no correct mix of recruits that is guaranteed to win a championship. In fact, recruiting is only about 1/4th of the equation. Player development, coaching, and chemistry all have the same level of importance, in some cases, like player development, it's more important.

Do you need to have a strong base of recruits to win? That's an obvious yes. But it's definitely only one piece of the puzzle.

Some people argue that argue that you don't have enough blue chippers, some argue that you should be more balanced, and the fact is, no one really knows the true balance if what you need. You just have to trust that the coaching staff is doing the absolute best it can do to win a championship.

And you know what, complaining because you have been to the last 4 frozen 4's and haven't won one is a cop out. Consistently finishing in the top 4 in the nation is something to be proud of, even if you don't get a banner for it. And you know what, a break or 2 here or there, and one of those could have been a banner. That's all hockey is, a game of breaks. When Wisconsin won in 2006, they were a crossbar away in the Cornell game from not even making the frozen 4 that season.

I applaud the effort that your coaching staff and players have put in. Getting where you have the past 4 seasons is something to be proud of. I have no doubts that the Sioux will be a threat again this season.

With the midget tourney in town this weekend, does anybody know of anybody the coaching staff will be interested in? Or if there are any real standouts that will be playing this weekend with UND being a possible college destination? I know this tourney has been good for recruiting recently and am just wondering if anyone has any insight.

With the midget tourney in town this weekend, does anybody know of anybody the coaching staff will be interested in? Or if there are any real standouts that will be playing this weekend with UND being a possible college destination? I know this tourney has been good for recruiting recently and am just wondering if anyone has any insight.

not sure on specific players but maybe nolan zajac? the only d man of the zajacs

from brad

Tom Miller did a preview on the midget tournament that's coming to town. You'll see some familiar names: Dixon Ward, Craig Ludwig and Doug Smail. All three of those former Sioux greats are coaches of midget teams in town. If you want a schedule of the games, check it out here.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/?id=102960

I think there is one thing that everyone here can agree on, there is no correct mix of recruits that is guaranteed to win a championship. In fact, recruiting is only about 1/4th of the equation. Player development, coaching, and chemistry all have the same level of importance, in some cases, like player development, it's more important.

Do you need to have a strong base of recruits to win? That's an obvious yes. But it's definitely only one piece of the puzzle.

Some people argue that argue that you don't have enough blue chippers, some argue that you should be more balanced, and the fact is, no one really knows the true balance if what you need. You just have to trust that the coaching staff is doing the absolute best it can do to win a championship.

And you know what, complaining because you have been to the last 4 frozen 4's and haven't won one is a cop out. Consistently finishing in the top 4 in the nation is something to be proud of, even if you don't get a banner for it. And you know what, a break or 2 here or there, and one of those could have been a banner. That's all hockey is, a game of breaks. When Wisconsin won in 2006, they were a crossbar away in the Cornell game from not even making the frozen 4 that season.

I applaud the effort that your coaching staff and players have put in. Getting where you have the past 4 seasons is something to be proud of. I have no doubts that the Sioux will be a threat again this season.

When you said that recruiting was about 1/4 the equation, I was going to say that it was actually about 1/5th, but then as I read down further in your post I saw the other 5th of which you spoke--luck. You can do all the right things, but you need a little luck.

There are not to many players that I'm to familar with this year. If you're interested in watching Shattuck, Eric Haula is supposed to be a good player. I will be in attendance this afternoon and tommorow afternoon so I might post about some of the players I like.

Pretty good, Chuck, but you totally overlooked the quality of cheerleaders. Your credibility took a little hit here, I'm afraid.

I just got home from watching the morning games at the midget tourney. I left after the 2nd period of the Shattuck slaughter. I thought that Erik Haula was one of the best players on the ice. Looks really strong on his skates, good size, nice skills. Fallstrom was also impressive. Iwouldn't mind having either of those guys at UND in the next couple years. Nolan Zajac is much improved this year over last. Still seems a little raw and not too physical but pretty good with the puck and also skating. I was hoping that Rocco Grimaldi was going to play for Little Caesars but he didn't (is he injured)? That was my opinion on how the players looked. Take it with a grain of salt though as I am far from an expert. USA, were you there this morning? If so what did you think of these players?

I just got home from watching the morning games at the midget tourney. I left after the 2nd period of the Shattuck slaughter. I thought that Erik Haula was one of the best players on the ice. Looks really strong on his skates, good size, nice skills. Fallstrom was also impressive. Iwouldn't mind having either of those guys at UND in the next couple years. Nolan Zajac is much improved this year over last. Still seems a little raw and not too physical but pretty good with the puck and also skating. I was hoping that Rocco Grimaldi was going to play for Little Caesars but he didn't (is he injured)? That was my opinion on how the players looked. Take it with a grain of salt though as I am far from an expert. USA, were you there this morning? If so what did you think of these players?

I hate to repeat myself many times over, but was Shattuck's goaltender tested?

I'd love to know more about Farrell.

Farrell doesn't play for the prep team as far as I could tell. The shots after two periods were 38-4 in facor of Shattuck. The score was 10-0. So, in short, that would be a no to the goalie getting tested. I would say two or three of the shots were point shots without screens that went into the S on his jersey. I just looked through all of the Shattuck rosters and didn't see Farrell on any of them. Does anyone know what team he plays for? I figured that it was the U16 team but that isn't the case as far as the roster says.

Yes I was there this morning as well, I also saw Shattuck play yesterday. Haula is a very impressive player, has all the qualities that you mentioned. Fallstrom was impressive, but I also liked the line of LaFontaine, Clark, and Basaraba (who is a Duluth recruit). I watched Nolan Zajac play Shattuck yesterday. He's improved a little from last year but I think he is still a long shot from UND potential. Shattuck, Dallas, and Little Caesars have impressive teams, but other than them I don't think the rest of teams in the tournament are to good.

Fallstrom is committed to Harvard.: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pq-...RsjRw&gid=1

Haula's still available and ranked 55 on the recent CSB rankings: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=9273

He is from Finland however: http://www.s-sm.org/ftpimages/131/download...82_id366443.xls

I think foreign guys like him lean toward the CHL, but then again I am just guessing. Maybe someone else knows for sure if he is looking at the NCAA.

Fallstrom is committed to Harvard.: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pq-...RsjRw&gid=1

Haula's still available and ranked 55 on the recent CSB rankings: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=9273

He is from Finland however: http://www.s-sm.org/ftpimages/131/download...82_id366443.xls

I think foreign guys like him lean toward the CHL, but then again I am just guessing. Maybe someone else knows for sure if he is looking at the NCAA.

They also lean towards UNO.

I think they have Cziszar or something like that. He committed to UNO when he was 5...or just a few years older than that. ???