SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Actually I should rephrase the last post. Ness wasn't even a real loss because his old man was never going to let him play here anyway. His dad has hard feelings towards the program because they took his scholarship away after he was injured.

If that is true it is very sad that he would hold a grudge for 25+ years. The coaches, administrators, etc have all changed since he went to UND. I would hope he would allow his son to pick whatever school he felt was the best fit for him. After all, we are talking about what is best for his son's future not trying to "get back" at UND. If his son decided that MN was the best fit then good for him. If he was leaning to UND and his dad got involved only because of his problems 25 years ago then that is a shame for the kid.

If that is true it is very sad that he would hold a grudge for 25+ years. The coaches, administrators, etc have all changed since he went to UND. I would hope he would allow his son to pick whatever school he felt was the best fit for him. After all, we are talking about what is best for his son's future not trying to "get back" at UND. If his son decided that MN was the best fit then good for him. If he was leaning to UND and his dad got involved only because of his problems 25 years ago then that is a shame for the kid.

I've heard it from more than one person out of that dinky town of Roseau. He probably really liked what the Gophers had to offer when he committed (especially playing style), but there is no doubt that his old man didn't want him going here. It is sad that he would hold a 25+ year grudge for all the reasons you mentioned. I've also heard that Jay pushed Aaron very hard when he was a kid, more than what you would see from father to son. I think dad is trying to re-live his playing days a little bit.

I thought Ness was UM's best D. last weekend, which isn't saying much because as a group that were awful.

he logged big time icetime on friday and wasa awful in that first period. 2 misplays at the blueline and just a deer in the headlights. he is a very good player but its also taking him a little lonmger to adjust with his lack of size. the kid will be damn good and looked better and better after that first period friday but hell, the whole gopher team was bad off the start except kangas

Earlier, I stated he was UM's best but didn't mean to infer that he was mistake free. :)

oh i know :lol: i just watched him tons early friday being my seats were in the gopher defensive zone at the blueline and we were down there 90% of the time that period :D

agree 100% with that statement bolded and when there are any the sioux will be on them right away like they have been in the past.

besides ness dont recall any other elite northerners they plucked as we all know lee isnt a gopher recruit as stated

probably wouldn't call them elite, but drew fischer is from int. falls and pat white is from grand rapids, both "northerners".

agree 100% with that statement bolded and when there are any the sioux will be on them right away like they have been in the past.

besides ness dont recall any other elite northerners they plucked as we all know lee isnt a gopher recruit as stated

Is it possible that Jackson was actually meaning Saint Cloud as opposed to UM since Lee was mentioned? Other than Ness, Minnesota doesn't really have any players from the Section 8 region. But St. Cloud has landed some kids from NW MN in recent years. Like Marvin, Christian, Lee, and Oliver. A few of those players were discussed as possibilities to play at UND in the past. I would bet he meant St. Cloud when he made his statement.

Is it possible that Jackson was actually meaning Saint Cloud as opposed to UM since Lee was mentioned? Other than Ness, Minnesota doesn't really have any players from the Section 8 region. But St. Cloud has landed some kids from NW MN in recent years. Like Marvin, Christian, Lee, and Oliver. A few of those players were discussed as possibilities to play at UND in the past. I would bet he meant St. Cloud when he made his statement.

I was at the Sioux boosters when this came up and Dane was referring to St. Cloud. Someone asked him if St. Clopud was out recruiting us in Section 8 and he said "yeah, maybe a little", but UND isn't going to offer a 16 year old too often and especially not a 16 year old goalie. I have heard that all things equal Lee would have rather went to UND, but took the offer from St. Cloud because they offered probably 2 years before UND would have(and certainly no guarantee)

i wouldnt even call it stealing anymore really. its not the old days or recent old days where a kid is born and will go to that local school no matter what. kids will go where they can play right away first off and then also if they are good enough where they can develop or think they can develop the best for the next level in the pros. if that means going somewhere else than where expected then so be it. they have to look out for themselves first and their future. the sioux have really expanded where they are recruiting from if you look at hometowns and states but hockey has grown so much the last 10 years out west and south that kids are developing all over. now most all end up in the ushl of course and get noticed that way but many cali and az and other non-hockey states kids are becoming noticed big time.

im sure there are but not sure who. they will need to add one as we all know. whoever it is it will be a guy who knows his role and have the ability to push BE to his full potential day in and day out.

Will they offer a full scholarship to someone that they think can fulfill that role?

That's a tough find - looking for a player to be very good (to push BE and be a reliable back-up) but also be willing to wait for playing time.

Will they offer a full scholarship to someone that they think can fulfill that role?

That's a tough find - looking for a player to be very good (to push BE and be a reliable back-up) but also be willing to wait for playing time.

there are many players and good goalies that would come to UND and push for a job. that wont be a problem. UND doesnt give FULL scholarships as no team really does 100% but i get your drift. if harrington is considered a 3rd then yes they will bring in a back up and a solid one at that but if harrington is considered a guy to be a 2nd stringer than you go get a walk on type. i have no clue on harrington because they realistically have two 3rd stringers/back ups on the team right now behind BE

I'd say the most recent example is Karl Goehring. He was brought in after Schweitzer's freshman season ('97 championship), and ultimately ended up with the starting job 1/3 of the way into the following season. Schweitzer was "the man" after his freshman season, but it just goes to show you can never be certain.

Didn't know if this article was posted yet or not but I know a lot of people (myself included) have been hoping for Jeremy Morin. It seems he is down to one college or the OHL. His teammate on the US squad didn't help since he ditched his college scholorship and signed with the very team that own's Morin's rights. It seems the dream is coming to an end. Read for yourself here:

http://news.therecord.com/Sports/article/468501

(Again, I apologize if this has already been posted)

Didn't know if this article was posted yet or not but I know a lot of people (myself included) have been hoping for Jeremy Morin. It seems he is down to one college or the OHL. His teammate on the US squad didn't help since he ditched his college scholorship and signed with the very team that own's Morin's rights. It seems the dream is coming to an end. Read for yourself here:

i had heard he wouldnt be coming to UND, oh well. olsen may be a far shot as well but lets keep slim hope for him to come to UND and i do think its slim hope

i had heard he wouldnt be coming to UND, oh well. olsen may be a far shot as well but lets keep slim hope for him to come to UND and i do think its slim hope

The Grand ForksHerald article said a "trio of recruits" I am missing the third one. I was hoping it may be Morin but looks like that is not the case...so is it true they need to rephrase their article to a "duo" of recruits?

Wasn't Maxwell a goalie on the US WJC team? He sure didnt look that great there....

The Grand ForksHerald article said a "trio of recruits" I am missing the third one. I was hoping it may be Morin but looks like that is not the case...so is it true they need to rephrase their article to a "duo" of recruits?

morin wont be it. i believe it is a trio but lets be patient. word cant come out depending on the player or source. patience :huh: