SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

The Gophers had a press releases today about the signing of six recruits, no surprises, guys that have already gave verbal commitments. I would imagine we will see a similar press release by UND soon since it is the early signing period.

Anyone know if there are going to be any surprises?

We seem a little deep at defense, I wonder if we are expecting to lose a d-man or two this season.

From the Star-Tribune;

I think we'll see a lot of this type of courting of high school sophomore and junior forwards, because it's that group that UND will need to tap for the 2009 class. If you look ahead, the Sioux are close to full for 2007, and they don't look to need a big class for 2008, with Cichy already commited and legacies like Toews and Cam Lamoureaux (sp) still out there. However, UND's big group of sophomores will graduate in the Spring of 2009, and will need to be replaced by a big class that Fall. It would fit that this year's high school juniors would arrive in 2009 after a year of junior hockey. So we'll see.

Shattuck has updated their stats. The team is led in scoring by 5 junior forwards, all of whom have played 21 games:

19-11-30 Brock Montpetit (WI recruit)

13-16-29 Derek Stepan (Hastings, MN)

10-19-29 Jordan Murray (Brady's brother)

9-13-22 David Toews (Jon's brother)

8-14-22 Eli Zuck (Anchorage, AK)

Shattuck has updated their stats. The team is led in scoring by 5 junior forwards, all of whom have played 21 games:

19-11-30 Brock Montpetit (WI recruit)

13-16-29 Derek Stepan (Hastings, MN)

10-19-29 Jordan Murray (Brady's brother)

9-13-22 David Toews (Jon's brother)

8-14-22 Eli Zuck (Anchorage, AK)

whats with murray not getting any love in the recruiting game? hes obviously doing well at ssm. the only things im thinking are that people are skeptical of him making the next step or that he may be small(i havent seen him in action though...just possibilities). i would like to see murray here.

I would like to see the Sioux look at Stepan Novotny, as he was the player I was most impressed with at the Elite games in Grand Forks. I'm sure they are taking a look, but there are only so many scholarships and with Toews and Nash out there, who knows.

I got the opportunity to go to the Tri-City Storm vs Omaha Lancers game in the USHL tonight. Saw both Jake Marto and Mario Lamoreaux play. My impression is that I cannot see Marto playing defense in the WCHA. He just does not have the muscle to do it. He definitely tried, but just wasn't strong enough to move people. I also noticed that he didn't go into the corners. Most of the time he stayed just outside the scrum for the puck, rather than fighting for it. He is a smooth skater and his passing was fine. Maybe he could play as a forward, but I think he would be a liability at defense. He played with the second PP unit and also on the PK. Did not look strong on the PK.

Lamoreaux didn't do anything special in the game, but he may develop into a WCHA forward at some point. He seemed to go down very easily during faceoffs, and didn't win very many. He just didn't seem to have leverage on his skates. Several times he seemed to be just skating around in the center of the ice and not doing much. Played on the second PP unit and some PK.

Overall, I wasn't impressed with either player in this game and I can't think of anyone on the Sioux that I would trade for either one. Maybe they both had off games.

Two players did stand out. One is Calle Ridderwall, a forward from Sweden playing for Tri-City. He looks to have a lot of potential, and had a couple of assists. This is his second year in the US and first in the USHL. He is 5-11 and 170 lbs. Looked to be a good skater, with some speed. Played for Chicago Chill last year with 43-75-118 in 76 games. The other standout was a 6-3, 210 lb. defenseman for Omaha, Nick Petrecki. Very physical, hits hard and takes people off the puck without being real mean about it. A much better defenseman than Marto, but not the offensive potential.

Not really well played hockey in the game. A lot of elbows, with none being called. Several checking from behind situations, and only one called for a 2 minute minor. There also was a lot of interference, checking away from the puck, that went uncalled. A far cry from WCHA hockey.

By the way, this post is by Siouxman visiting daughter Keikla in Kearney, with editing privileges by Keikla and Mrs. Siouxman.

I got the opportunity to go to the Tri-City Storm vs Omaha Lancers game in the USHL tonight. Saw both Jake Marto and Mario Lamoreaux play. My impression is that I cannot see Marto playing defense in the WCHA. He just does not have the muscle to do it. He definitely tried, but just wasn't strong enough to move people. I also noticed that he didn't go into the corners. Most of the time he stayed just outside the scrum for the puck, rather than fighting for it. He is a smooth skater and his passing was fine. Maybe he could play as a forward, but I think he would be a liability at defense. He played with the second PP unit and also on the PK. Did not look strong on the PK.

Lamoreaux didn't do anything special in the game, but he may develop into a WCHA forward at some point. He seemed to go down very easily during faceoffs, and didn't win very many. He just didn't seem to have leverage on his skates. Several times he seemed to be just skating around in the center of the ice and not doing much. Played on the second PP unit and some PK.

Overall, I wasn't impressed with either player in this game and I can't think of anyone on the Sioux that I would trade for either one. Maybe they both had off games.

Two players did stand out. One is Calle Ridderwall, a forward from Sweden playing for Tri-City. He looks to have a lot of potential, and had a couple of assists. This is his second year in the US and first in the USHL. He is 5-11 and 170 lbs. Looked to be a good skater, with some speed. Played for Chicago Chill last year with 43-75-118 in 76 games. The other standout was a 6-3, 210 lb. defenseman for Omaha, Nick Petrecki. Very physical, hits hard and takes people off the puck without being real mean about it. A much better defenseman than Marto, but not the offensive potential.

Not really well played hockey in the game. A lot of elbows, with none being called. Several checking from behind situations, and only one called for a 2 minute minor. There also was a lot of interference, checking away from the puck, that went uncalled. A far cry from WCHA hockey.

By the way, this post is by Siouxman visiting daughter Keikla in Kearney, with editing privileges by Keikla and Mrs. Siouxman.

the bold WCHA could be a typo, but mario is going to n. michigan...of the ccha. anyway, marto has been thought of as what you said for the most part...im guessing that he will be a 7th dman for a year or two...just a guess though. nick petrecki is supposed to be really good, as you said...he could possibly go in the top 5 of the NHL draft next year, and he is also committed to boston college. you may have known all this, but i thought id type it anyway...im bored.

the bold WCHA could be a typo, but mario is going to n. michigan...of the ccha. anyway, marto has been thought of as what you said for the most part...im guessing that he will be a 7th dman for a year or two...just a guess though. nick petrecki is supposed to be really good, as you said...he could possibly go in the top 5 of the NHL draft next year, and he is also committed to boston college. you may have known all this, but i thought id type it anyway...im bored.

Did not know that Petrecki was committed to BC. I thought it was a different Lamoureux (Jacques?) going to N. Michigan. The program generally listed Tri-City players committed to colleges, and did not show anything for Mario.

Did not know that Petrecki was committed to BC. I thought it was a different Lamoureux (Jacques?) going to N. Michigan. The program generally listed Tri-City players committed to colleges, and did not show anything for Mario.

they are both going to no mich

Another note is that Ridderwall is a Notre Dame recruit.

EDIT:

Apparently Notre Dame is to Swedish Players (they now have two recruits from Sweden) as UNO is to Finnish players.

This is worse than X-Mas as a little tyke ;) Patience isn't my strong suit. AZ Sioux I'am enjoying the fantasy league by the way :D

:D cool, glad you are. its a lot of fun running it as well.

the sioux are putting together a nice couple of recruiting classes so far

This is worse than X-Mas as a little tyke ;) Patience isn't my strong suit. AZ Sioux I'am enjoying the fantasy league by the way :D

The present is under the tree. You can guess what it is, in a day or two you will know and you will be happy. just like when you got your first bike, you will be surprised and excited.