SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Local notebook: Kangas mulls Division I hockey offers

Sat, Mar 4, 2006

Prior to playing in last year's Class AA boys state hockey tournament, Alex Kangas was barely a blip on the recruiting screen for most top-flight college hockey programs. Now he is almost a cinch to land a Division I scholarship.

The Rochester Century grad had a standout state tournament in goal in 2005. Now, after a stellar season with Sioux Falls (S.D.) of the United States Hockey League (a junior amateur league), Kangas is being sought by some of the elite hockey programs in the nation.

This weekend he is visiting Minnesota. He has already had a recruiting stop at North Dakota. He has also had talks with St. Cloud State, Michigan State and Boston College.

"My top two choices are North Dakota and Minnesota," Kangas said. "Growing up in Minnesota, you always want to be a Gopher. But I'm weighing my options; I have a lot to think about."

Both Minnesota and North Dakota currently are playing junior goalies. So Kangas might play one more year of junior hockey. Or, his decision could be altered if one of the colleges loses a goalie to the pro ranks.

"It's probably two years from now," he said of college. "But if one signs and goes pro, it would be next year."

Kangas is 18-6-1 in goal this season with Sioux Falls. He has a 2.02 goals-against average and an outstanding .930 save percentage. He was a league all-star and at the midway point of the season was rated as the 13th best North American goalie by NHL Scouting Services.

"It's kind of new," Kangas said of all the attention he's been getting. "It's a dream come true. Hopefully, it gets me to the highest level possible, hopefully the NHL."

Local notebook: Kangas mulls Division I hockey offers

Sat, Mar 4, 2006

Prior to playing in last year's Class AA boys state hockey tournament, Alex Kangas was barely a blip on the recruiting screen for most top-flight college hockey programs. Now he is almost a cinch to land a Division I scholarship.

The Rochester Century grad had a standout state tournament in goal in 2005. Now, after a stellar season with Sioux Falls (S.D.) of the United States Hockey League (a junior amateur league), Kangas is being sought by some of the elite hockey programs in the nation.

This weekend he is visiting Minnesota. He has already had a recruiting stop at North Dakota. He has also had talks with St. Cloud State, Michigan State and Boston College.

"My top two choices are North Dakota and Minnesota," Kangas said. "Growing up in Minnesota, you always want to be a Gopher. But I'm weighing my options; I have a lot to think about."

Both Minnesota and North Dakota currently are playing junior goalies. So Kangas might play one more year of junior hockey. Or, his decision could be altered if one of the colleges loses a goalie to the pro ranks.

"It's probably two years from now," he said of college. "But if one signs and goes pro, it would be next year."

Kangas is 18-6-1 in goal this season with Sioux Falls. He has a 2.02 goals-against average and an outstanding .930 save percentage. He was a league all-star and at the midway point of the season was rated as the 13th best North American goalie by NHL Scouting Services.

"It's kind of new," Kangas said of all the attention he's been getting. "It's a dream come true. Hopefully, it gets me to the highest level possible, hopefully the NHL."

Kangas's cousin said that Alex was very impressed with UND when he made his visit. Of course it's hard not to be with the Ralph. He has stated that it's his dream to play for the Gophers and he visited yesterday. It was a good time for him to visit with the 7-0 win and the Macnaughton Cup ceremony. But he won't play until the year after next which is when Lammy is a senior and Frazee will be a junior. He could pick UND because he thinks he'll play sooner but who knows. I'd give the slight edge to Minnesota right now.

I realize that I am only going by stats as I have not seen him play but who is recruiting John Murray (the other goalie for Sioux Falls)? I know that he is from PA so he probably wants to stay out east somewhere but maybe he would be a good option besides Kangas. He has a GAA under 2 and a save percentage somewher near 94 percent. Anyone have any info?

Eau Claire North defenseman Derrick LaPoint was named Wisconsin High School Player of the Year by the Wisconsin Hockey Coaches Association and American Family Insurance on Wednesday night. LaPoint is pictured with coaches Andy Akervik (left) and Tom Bernhardt.

The WHCA 2006 Player of the Year Award Ceremony, sponsored by American Family Insurance, was held at the Sheraton Madison Hotel, across John Nolen Drive from the Alliant Energy Center. The ceremony was attended by the eight Player of the year finalists and the teams in Madison for the 36th annual State Tournament.

poty06.jpg

Article from www.wisconsinprephockey.net

From westerncollegehockey:

2007 Recruiting Board Prospect Derrick Lapoint reportedly played 49 and half minutes in a 51 minute game against University School of Milwaukee in the state tournament.

WOW, I was out of breath just reading this.

Shattuck's latest stats.

2 Peter Lompado D 11 1/13/1989 6'0" 200 Staten Island, NY 54 2 11 13 56

3 Scott Pommerville D 12 2/21/1988 6'2" 190 British Columbia, Canada 54 1 6 7 62

4 David Adams D 12 9/4/1987 5'10" 175 Wyckoff, NJ 45 2 2 4 64

5 Ben Youds D 11 4/20/1988 5'11" 190 Maple Grove, MN 53 3 19 22 120

6 Alex Stuart D 12 3/3/1988 5'9" 180 Sauk Rapids, MN 53 7 17 24 62

7 Justin Brossman F 12 3/10/1988 5'9" 180 Littleton, CO 54 20 30 50 44

8 Ben Umhoefer F PG 7/15/1987 6'2" 190 Marshfield, WI 54 11 15 26 30

9 Joe Brock F 12 9/6/1987 5'8" 180 Cumming, GA 53 37 27 64 71

10 Hidemasa Takahashi F 12 5/28/1987 5'8" 180 Kanagawa, Japan 48 6 9 15 8

12 Stepan Novotny F 10 9/21/1990 6'0" 170 Prague, Czech Republic 18 2 2 4 2

14 Jordan Murray F 10 1/8/1990 5'7" 155 Faribault, MN 38 14 18 32 34

15 Tyler Ruegsegger F 12 1/19/1988 5'11" 180 Lakewood, CO 54 32 47 79 66

16 Eli Zuck F 10 9/20/1989 5'10" 165 Anchorage, AK 28 4 10 14 12

17 Zach Harrison F 12 11/22/1987 5'11" 175 Faribault, MN 54 21 38 59 58

18 Daniel Wood F 11 4/15/1989 5'10" 170 Sheffield, England 41 2 5 7 10

19 Jeff Smith F 11 10/20/1988 5'10" 165 Spokane, WA 48 9 10 19 16

20 Brian Volpei F 12 7/22/1988 5'9" 180 Burbank, CA 54 30 41 71 34

22 Ben Blood D 11 3/15/1989 6'3" 200 Plymouth, MN 52 4 16 20 70

There are always prospective Sioux here. Here are some things I think are intersting.

1) This team is not nearly as outstanding as many of the recent team.

2) Ben Blood - This guy has Fighting Sioux written all over him. Fire up the pipeline.

3) Brian Volpei - the 2nd leading scorer, but is not committed. He is small though.

4) 2 intersting 10th graders to watch. Jordan Murray small and maybe not as talented as his brother, but putting up good numbers as a 10th grader. Stepan Novotny - No particular reason, I just like Eastern Europeans.

Shattuck's latest stats.

There are always prospective Sioux here. Here are some things I think are intersting.

1) This team is not nearly as outstanding as many of the recent team.

2) Ben Blood - This guy has Fighting Sioux written all over him. Fire up the pipeline.

3) Brian Volpei - the 2nd leading scorer, but is not committed. He is small though.

4) 2 intersting 10th graders to watch. Jordan Murray small and maybe not as talented as his brother, but putting up good numbers as a 10th grader. Stepan Novotny - No particular reason, I just like Eastern Europeans.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but Volpei put up HUGE numbers on the midget team last year.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/index.php?ntid=75605

UW men's hockey: LaPoint isn't ready to commit

ANDY BAGGOT

608-252-6175

abaggot@madison.com

The last three months have seen University of Wisconsin men's hockey coach Mike Eaves and his staff win some major recruiting battles.

But UW finds itself in a curious tug-of-war for an in-state prospect who has drawn major interest from other elite programs and the NHL.

Derrick LaPoint, a 17-year-old defenseman from Eau Claire North High School, is being pursued by a host of colleges, including Minnesota, North Dakota, Quinnipiac and New Hampshire as well as UW.

The volume of attention grew exponentially when the Central Scouting Bureau, an evaluation service utilized by all NHL teams, ranked LaPoint among its top 100 prospects in North America for the 2006 entry draft.

Scott LaPoint, Derrick's father, said his son has scholarship offers from Minnesota, North Dakota and UW for 2007-08. In all three cases, Derrick LaPoint would play a season of juniors, likely in the U.S. Hockey League, before enrolling in school. Quinnipiac, meanwhile, has offered LaPoint for 2006-07.

The LaPoints made an unofficial campus visit to UW last weekend, at which point Scott said his son was offered a scholarship. Scott LaPoint said Eaves called Monday to say he needed a decision by Wednesday.

"We're not ready to make one," Scott LaPoint said Tuesday night. "We love the opportunity (at UW), but we're not ready to say yes." Derrick LaPoint said he planned to reiterate that sentiment Wednesday night when he called and left a message for Eaves.

"I guess we'll see what happens," Derrick LaPoint said.

Derrick LaPoint said he intends to make official visits to North Dakota - where his older brother Nate goes to school and works for the athletic department - and Minnesota later this month before making a decision.

Opinions vary on Derrick LaPoint, a 6-foot-3, 165-pounder who was named the Wisconsin High School Player of the Year by the Wisconsin Hockey Coaches Association.

Some observers see him as a rare talent who could make the jump from high school to NCAA Division I; others think his ability to dominate at the Wisconsin high school level says more about the competition than LaPoint.

Where will LaPoint end up?

"We're looking at it from the standpoint that (Derrick) can't make a bad decision," Scott LaPoint said.

You know, I think the fact that his brother is out here could play an important factor in our favor (Obviously). I'm glad Eaves kind of forced him to make a decision right away because it sounds like he wasn't in favor of committing until he's completed his visits to other schools.

I'm starting to get good vibes on this one... ;):silly:

Scott LaPoint, Derrick's father, said his son has scholarship offers from Minnesota, North Dakota and UW for 2007-08. In all three cases, Derrick LaPoint would play a season of juniors, likely in the U.S. Hockey League, before enrolling in school. Quinnipiac, meanwhile, has offered LaPoint for 2006-07.

Gee, I think we can make this list a little shorter, who the heck wants to play for Quinnipiac, the only thing they are know for is liberal studies and surveys/polls. Just because they are now in the EZAC doesn't mean they are going to be any better or make them any more attractive. So lets rule them out, I am sure that Wisconsin is going to be hot on his tail, and I am sure Minnesota would want nothing more than to pick up another top pick from Wisconsin. So I suppose that it will be us with the other two schools bidding for his services.

Gee, I think we can make this list a little shorter, who the heck wants to play for Quinnipiac, the only thing they are know for is liberal studies and surveys/polls. Just because they are now in the EZAC doesn't mean they are going to be any better or make them any more attractive. So lets rule them out, I am sure that Wisconsin is going to be hot on his tail, and I am sure Minnesota would want nothing more than to pick up another top pick from Wisconsin. So I suppose that it will be us with the other two schools bidding for his services.

Actually, I can think of three reasons:

1. Immediate impact. He'd get a TON of playing time as a freshman. I think every player would find promises of immediate playing time pretty enticing.

2. 2006 scholarship as opposed to a 2007 scholarship. He might want to go right to college from high school and not waste away in a town even if it is playing hockey and maybe a part time job. I have read in spots that life in juniors isn't exactly sipping champagne and eating bonbons wearing an ascot and slippers next to a comfy fire in the old palatial manor....

3. Taking the 2006 scholarship is much more a "sure thing" than deferring for a year. What if Minnesota, UW, or UND loses interest or whatnot? There may be a "take it an run with it" mentality here we're not factoring in.

From westerncollegehockey:

2007 Recruiting Board Prospect Derrick Lapoint reportedly played 49 and half minutes in a 51 minute game against University School of Milwaukee in the state tournament.

WOW, I was out of breath just reading this.

holy crap!! i can barely take a 45 second shift!! thats amazing......wow........

Actually, I can think of three reasons:

1. Immediate impact. He'd get a TON of playing time as a freshman. I think every player would find promises of immediate playing time pretty enticing.

2. 2006 scholarship as opposed to a 2007 scholarship. He might want to go right to college from high school and not waste away in a town even if it is playing hockey and maybe a part time job. I have read in spots that life in juniors isn't exactly sipping champagne and eating bonbons wearing an ascot and slippers next to a comfy fire in the old palatial manor....

3. Taking the 2006 scholarship is much more a "sure thing" than deferring for a year. What if Minnesota, UW, or UND loses interest or whatnot? There may be a "take it an run with it" mentality here we're not factoring in.

LaPoint is only a junior in high school and as far as I know, he isn't accelerating so it's a moot point to discuss a program offering for him to come in '06 instead of '07.

Perhaps LaPoint is being approached by the Sioux coaching staff in a similar way that Finley was. He has an offer on the table and is planned at this point to come in for '07. However, if Smaby leaves (probable), he could be brought in next year. That could be an inticing tactic from a recruiting standpoint. I'm sure that if the Sioux miss out on this one, there are many others out there.

Perhaps LaPoint is being approached by the Sioux coaching staff in a similar way that Finley was. He has an offer on the table and is planned at this point to come in for '07. However, if Smaby leaves (probable), he could be brought in next year. That could be an inticing tactic from a recruiting standpoint. I'm sure that if the Sioux miss out on this one, there are many others out there.

Unlikely with Bina, Genoway, Marto and Alexander available. Bina in particular.