SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

Hey Archie, why don't you and your followers put all your time and energy into trying to solve some of the social problems on the SRT? You should be ashamed of yourselves! Theres more important issues for you to concentrate on. I applaud the SRT tribal council. Time to move on!!!

I'm sure you'll keep us all informed how all the "Important" issues have been given priority and NA lives improved as a result of this. Please provide charts showing this. I'd like to think that without the association to UND radical improvements will be made quickly!

Unfortunately what will likely happen is just the opposite. Think of all the lost visibility to the Sioux Nation once the association to UND and its traditions are long forgotten. I predict history will show that you may have won this battle 4winds but unfortunately lost the war. The war being improving life for NA's.

I'm sure you'll keep us all informed how all the "Important" issues have been given priority and NA lives improved as a result of this. Please provide charts showing this. I'd like to think that without the association to UND radical improvements will be made quickly!

Unfortunately what will likely happen is just the opposite. Think of all the lost visibility to the Sioux Nation once the association to UND and its traditions are long forgotten. I predict history will show that you may have won this battle 4winds but unfortunately lost the war. The war being improving life for NA's.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

EDIT: Another phrase that comes to mind is "cut off your nose to spite your face".

Hello fellow Fighting Sioux name and logo supporters!

Mr. Archie Fool Bear is in need of an attorney to take the "non-tribal full vote" of Standing Rock to the next phase in keeping our identity. Please let me know if you can refer someone.

We must continue this fight! Remember, Once a Sioux, Always a Sioux!

Hello fellow Fighting Sioux name and logo supporters!

Mr. Archie Fool Bear is in need of an attorney to take the "non-tribal full vote" of Standing Rock to the next phase in keeping our identity. Please let me know if you can refer someone.

We must continue this fight! Remember, Once a Sioux, Always a Sioux!

Siouxfan, I sent you a PM with a couple of names. Thanks for your hard work.

Trimble: NCAA: Where are you when we need you?
And what about the common dog? There are fancy pedigree names like the Huskies up at the University of Washington and the University of Connecticut (UConn, get it?); Terriers at Boston University; Bulldogs at several colleges; and even Salukis at Southern Illinois University. But nothing like the Growling Mutts, or the Snarling Rez Dogs.
Snarling Rez Dogs, hmmmm, that may work. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I for one would like to see us have the ability to host post season games, especially if the NCAA goes to the opening round best 2 of 3 series format, which from what I understand, they are exploring. It would be unfortunate especially for us fans- who come to cheer on the team throughout the season in hopes that our team gets post season home ice opportunities.

So after all is said and done, the management of the REA are going to refuse to comply with the settlement and thus prevent UND for ever hosting another post-season game at the REA?

That's sure what it sounds like. Wow.

The REA is a private entity. They are not part of the settlement.

And, until something changes in the setup for postseason hockey, the REA wouldn't host them anyways since the NCAA is trying to stay off-campus.

And, until something changes in the setup for postseason hockey, the REA wouldn't host them anyways since the NCAA is trying to stay off-campus.

Yup..that is correct!! The ncaa is trying to move all post-season hockey games to neutral sites. If that's the case...keep the REA as is. It's important to many alumni that we do not forget that we are and always will be the Fighting Sioux! The REA is a perfect sanctuary for us to remember the Sioux logo and name! Even if we have to change the center ice logo down the road, the Sioux will always be present in our building!

Except the REA doesn't just host Men's Hockey. It's no secret why the REA bid to host the Women's Frozen Four was declined. In 2 years, don't you think the Men's and Women's B-ball teams or the Women's Volley-ball team would like the chance to host a post-season game? Take off the hockey blinders, it's over! I'm sure that 20-30 years of lost post-season revenue would be enough to cover the cost of removing those "precious" logos.

Except the REA doesn't just host Men's Hockey. It's no secret why the REA bid to host the Women's Frozen Four was declined. In 2 years, don't you think the Men's and Women's B-ball teams or the Women's Volley-ball team would like the chance to host a post-season game? Take off the hockey blinders, it's over! I'm sure that 20-30 years of lost post-season revenue would be enough to cover the cost of removing those "precious" logos.

Teams in basketball don't host playoff games, they are at a neutral site. Like the Summit is in SIOUX Falls. And the only playoff men's hockey at the Ralph are the best of 3 in which the winner goes to the WCHA Final Five. So actually the REA is not missing out on a lot of playoffs.

Teams in basketball don't host playoff games, they are at a neutral site. Like the Summit is in SIOUX Falls. And the only playoff men's hockey at the Ralph are the best of 3 in which the winner goes to the WCHA Final Five. So actually the REA is not missing out on a lot of playoffs.

As far as the NCAA MBB tournament goes, you are incorrect.

Every "neutral" site has a school or conference as the official host. So for example, if the 1st round was at the Metrodome, then the host would be the U of Minn.

For sure the REA would never be able to host and possible UND could not be the host at any site too.

But seriously, why even have this type of discussion? It's petty. UND agreed to phase out the nickname as complying to the settlement with the NCAA.

I'm thinking, if the REA wants to try to be a bunch of cowboys and thumb their noses at the NCAA and the entire legal process that has happened, UND needs to be penalized further. Perhaps no UND teams get to go to the playoffs until the REA is compliant? That would shut Jody up.

It's time for some people to accept that the nickname is gone and move on. We need to be doing what is best for UND and what will be the best for UND in the future.

And no, we will not always be the Fighting Sioux. The State Board has already said that we won't be and is retiring the name. President Kelley has said that we will honor our past as the Fighting Sioux and honor and respect that part of our university. It is great that the administration wants to do something to acknowledge our time as the Fighting Sioux. But we will not always be the Fighting Sioux.

For everyone arguing that we should just move on and do whats right for the bball team and what not. REA said THEY wouldnt change a thing. There separate from the school. They said "Hodgeson has maintained that he and the REA board are against changing anything in the arena, and that UND would have to pay for any future changes that may be made to the building."

Its UNDs choice to remove logos. Good for REA for standing for something and our history. Why should we be ashamed of the logo? It looks like the NCAA wouldnt come to the "non bias" arena that is the REA. So why remove any logos?

In response to MplsBison, the school is becoming compliant so why would the NCAA ban us from the playoffs? We just cant host an event if the logos arent removed, big deal. I'd be nice, but the chances of us hosting are far and few between. UND itself is being fully compliant thats just ridiculous comment.

But seriously, why even have this type of discussion? It's petty. UND agreed to phase out the nickname as complying to the settlement with the NCAA.

I'm thinking, if the REA wants to try to be a bunch of cowboys and thumb their noses at the NCAA and the entire legal process that has happened, UND needs to be penalized further. Perhaps no UND teams get to go to the playoffs until the REA is compliant? That would shut Jody up.

Yes; UND will be compliant, as they were a party to the settlement with the NCAA.

However, as The Ralph is neither owned nor managed by the University, they were not a part of the deal, and are under no obligation to do anything with the logo until, I'm sure, they are ordered to do so by the copyright owner.

Don't conflate two entities.

It's time for some people to accept that the nickname is gone and move on. We need to be doing what is best for UND and what will be the best for UND in the future.

And no, we will not always be the Fighting Sioux. The State Board has already said that we won't be and is retiring the name. President Kelley has said that we will honor our past as the Fighting Sioux and honor and respect that part of our university. It is great that the administration wants to do something to acknowledge our time as the Fighting Sioux. But we will not always be the Fighting Sioux.

hey DAKOTA Dan, change your name racist!

Her is some logic for you to ponder while you roll over after your long fight to preserve who we all are as Fighting Sioux Fans...

We will BE whatever "we" want to BE. No one tells anyone who to be period. If they try, well then one of two things happen; They either destroy the "we" or they fail.

In this case the "we" will be changed to you or the "we" will continue to be the Fighting Sioux.

Sounds like some people here want to continue to be who they-WE are... THE FIGHTING Sioux.

I have one thing to say to anyone who says, " OOO-K let's just do what they tell us to do (even though we know very well it is the wrong thing to do) and you can send me a private message and I'll let you know what that is.

.. sorry about being so direct. I have no tolerance for people letting bad things happen to them and doing nothing about it while they say that everything that could have been done was done. You, as well as 97% of all of the Fighting Sioux victims, have done nothing to stop this injustice and it frankly pisses me off because I LOVE everything about being an alumn of UND and saying I am a Fighting Sioux.

As far as the NCAA MBB tournament goes, you are incorrect.

Every "neutral" site has a school or conference as the official host. So for example, if the 1st round was at the Metrodome, then the host would be the U of Minn.

For sure the REA would never be able to host and possible UND could not be the host at any site too.

Just a FYI the NCAA said the Ralph does not have to take down every single logo in the building. So there will always..ALWAYS be a Fighting Sioux logo in the building in fact i believe its like hundreds of logos, but since the REA is NOT, NOT, NOT, part of UND they don't have to do whatever UND tells them.

Even if it changes nothing, what the schools and the NCAA have found is that the alumni do care about their logos and are (quite rightly) very proud of them. Ask any Marquette alum, or William and Mary, etc... they weren't happy to see their logos go and still see themselves as part of that tradition of their schools.

I am no different.

So if YOU choose to no longer be a Fighting Sioux, that's fine. I will not see myself as anything else, and I don't care what the new name (or no name) might be. I hope the REA stays as intact as it can- it's a beautiful, world-class facility made even more so by the Sioux tradition seen and preserved throughout. It may be the compromise we can all live with... take the name away, but keep the logo where you can as a rememberance of the ties between the University and all of the people of North Dakota.

Just a FYI the NCAA said the Ralph does not have to take down every single logo in the building. So there will always..ALWAYS be a Fighting Sioux logo in the building in fact i believe its like hundreds of logos, but since the REA is NOT, NOT, NOT, part of UND they don't have to do whatever UND tells them.

And UND men's hockey team doesn't have to play games in the REA.

NCAA could demand that either the REA is in or out of the settlement: either they clean the place up or UND is banned from the post-season in any sport if they continue to play games there.

And UND men's hockey team doesn't have to play games in the REA.

NCAA could demand that either the REA is in or out of the settlement: either they clean the place up or UND is banned from the post-season in any sport if they continue to play games there.

Actually they cannot unless they take UND to court for a second time and that won't happen. Once the settlement is done you cannot add pieces of info here and there in the settlement. It doesn't work that way in a court of law. That would be like me suing you..settling it then turn around a year later and say oh by the way i want this and that. Sorry. The settlement states that only the arena's that display the logo unless its of historical value cannot host a playoff game there. So the Alerus, Hyslop, Kraft, and the Betty are all within the settlement. On a side note I suppose UND has no right at the Betty since its part of the Engelstad family.

I am perfectly fine with REA not changing any logos. They are fully within their right to do so, and I support their position...the only potential problem that could ever be is if NCAA Hockey, decides through their exploration to move on with an opening round where high seeds host a best 2 of 3 series, but we r long way from that taking place. If that actual day were to come, it would be unfortunate for us. Since were under the WCHA, umbrella until after the Final 5/6 when the NCAA's start, I don't see any reasons to change logos.

The NCAA BBAll tourney has indeed had opening round games at local sites... I've been to Boise in 2009 to watch opening round games at Taco Bell Arena, which is where the Broncos play.