SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

The first time a team from North Dakota (whether it be NDSU or UND) wins a first round game in an NCAA basketball tournament it will be a bigger story both within the state and nationally than anything the hockey team could ever hope to accomplish. The NCAA basketball tournament is the best and most watched tourney in collegiate sports. People all over the nation tuned in to watch today's games. Next week the hockey tourney will be lucky to receive any mention at all in most newspapers. Face it hockey is a regional niche sport that 95% of the country could give a rats ass about.

The first time a team from North Dakota (whether it be NDSU or UND) wins a first round game in an NCAA basketball tournament it will be a bigger story both within the state and nationally than anything the hockey team could ever hope to accomplish. The NCAA basketball tournament is the best and most watched tourney in collegiate sports. People all over the nation tuned in to watch today's games. Next week the hockey tourney will be lucky to receive any mention at all in most newspapers. Face it hockey is a regional niche sport that 95% of the country could give a rats ass about.

First of all i didn't even grow up a hockey fan and am one now. Second of all I still love to watch the NCAA tourney. But all that mattered to me today was the Sioux beating the Bulldogs. The Sioux or Bison will NEVER win a national bball title, and it won't be a big deal if they win one game. Its big news but not BIG news. I don't see Murray State being on the front page of tomorrows news in every paper like you claim. Same would go for a hockey title. Lets put it this way....I'd rather be the best at something that 5% of America cares about than being a nobody for the other 95%....in other words you are less than that 5% and now more 0%. Lets face it, we are in North Dakota, what matters most between Minnesota and North Dakota? Hockey!!!

Ask anyone in the country who Kansas played in the first round last year, and more than 95% of them would have no clue.(Unless of course they were watching the Bison Flood promo video) :D And without looking, I bet you can't name any other team besides the usual suspects that won a first round game either. You know why? Because even if there was one, they lost 48 hours later and no one could give a rat's ass about them anymore.... You talk about next week's newspapers... Okay smart guy.... look at next Friday's newspapers and see how many teams that lost in the first round today are still being mentioned. :huh: You've obviously been smoking WAY too much crack....

But, I bet in those same newspapers you just may see something about the Sioux hockey team.... Go ahead, give it a whirl, and report back next week.

You're point is as ignorant as the Name change proponents.

Basketball will always be a bigger NETWORK TV draw because there are BB fans all over the country but WE DON"T CARE ABOUT BASKETBALL just because NETWORK TV DOES.

Why should we care about what 95% of the county cares about? What kind of criteria is that?

How bout we care about what we decide for ourselves to care about and skip 'the TV says so' rational?

If I was a moron I would ask a question like this; In Mexico, who cares about basketball?

Let me help you not be so stupid. In North Dakota, hockey is the sport people care the most about.

Should people in North Dakota care more about Basketball because there are 50 million people in places like North Carolina, Alabama, Georga, California, etc that love basketball?

There are 10 Million people that love rugby in New Zealand, so maybe we better get a Rugby team then huh?

Maybe we should all pimp our Cadillac's with some shinny rims cause there are 42 Million people who think that is cool!

hey Idiot.. go watch some more TV so you can further you thought dogma. I would hate to have you not know what to like if the power went out.

I'm sure there is something on the home shopping channel calling your name right now!@ Ya know 18 million people shop there every year and the are only 700 thousand people in the entire state of North Dakota just waiting to get on board with some sweet rim purchases on the Home Shopping Network.

Idiot!

FYI, the Excell Energy Center was just about full for a conference "play-in" game today and I saw on TV a NCAA BB game and the upper bowl was 100% empty and the lower bowl was maybe 80% full.

Those millions of Basketball fans are not US.. You dig>?

Ask anyone in the country who Kansas played in the first round last year, and more than 95% of them would have no clue.(Unless of course they were watching the Bison Flood promo video) :D And without looking, I bet you can't name any other team besides the usual suspects that won a first round game either. You know why? Because even if there was one, they lost 48 hours later and no one could give a rat's ass about them anymore.... You talk about next week's newspapers... Okay smart guy.... look at next Friday's newspapers and see how many teams that lost in the first round today are still being mentioned. :huh: You've obviously been smoking WAY too much crack....

But, I bet in those same newspapers you just may see something about the Sioux hockey team.... Go ahead, give it a whirl, and report back next week.

Ask them who won the national title in hockey, 95% would have no clue.

You do have a good thing going up there but some of you are so blinded by your puck love that it has truly become laughable. The Big Dance is only the second biggest sporting event in the country...behind only the Super Bowl.

You're point is as ignorant as the Name change proponents.

Basketball will always be a bigger NETWORK TV draw because there are BB fans all over the country but WE DON"T CARE ABOUT BASKETBALL just because NETWORK TV DOES.

Why should we care about what 95% of the county cares about? What kind of criteria is that?

How bout we care about what we decide for ourselves to care about and skip 'the TV says so' rational?

If I was a moron I would ask a question like this; In Mexico, who cares about basketball?

Let me help you not be so stupid. In North Dakota, hockey is the sport people care the most about.

Should people in North Dakota care more about Basketball because there are 50 million people in places like North Carolina, Alabama, Georga, California, etc that love basketball?

There are 10 Million people that love rugby in New Zealand, so maybe we better get a Rugby team then huh?

Maybe we should all pimp our Cadillac's with some shinny rims cause there are 42 Million people who think that is cool!

hey Idiot.. go watch some more TV so you can further you thought dogma. I would hate to have you not know what to like if the power went out.

I'm sure there is something on the home shopping channel calling your name right now!@ Ya know 18 million people shop there every year and the are only 700 thousand people in the entire state of North Dakota just waiting to get on board with some sweet rim purchases on the Home Shopping Network.

Idiot!

FYI, the Excell Energy Center was just about full for a conference "play-in" game today and I saw on TV a NCAA BB game and the upper bowl was 100% empty and the lower bowl was maybe 80% full.

Those millions of Basketball fans are not US.. You dig>?

The Class B basketball tournament is the biggest sporting event in ND. Yes, people in ND like basketball! There were 12,000 Bison fans at a basketball game in Minneapolis last year, tipoff was before noon. They rolled out the TVs in schools so kids could watch the game during school.

ND is not a hockey state...more delusional talk from the puck lovers.

The basketball tourney is huge. I think what most people are saying is that unless you do something in the tournament 99.99999 % of people across the country don't remember you after your game is over. The reality is that NDSU or UND most likely will never win a game . Therefore the people here in the Valley will remember the game but nobody outside our immediate area will ever remember it. Northern Iowa won today and they didn't even show half the game on TV here.

The basketball tourney is huge. I think what most people are saying is that unless you do something in the tournament 99.99999 % of people across the country don't remember you after your game is over. The reality is that NDSU or UND most likely will never win a game . Therefore the people here in the Valley will remember the game but nobody outside our immediate area will ever remember it. Northern Iowa won today and they didn't even show half the game on TV here.

That is true, it really only matters if you win. Then you will get on a bigger stage since there are less games in the next round and people always like to talk about and follow the Cinderella teams.

I know you guys like hockey and it is a big deal in this region but I think some people were getting a little carried away because basketball is also a big deal in this region. If NDSU or UND ever have a team that is in the dance....the state will follow closely and if one wins it will be a huge deal.

NDSU did come close last year, it can happen. There is a ton of basketball talent in the region.

Well I guess I really have no reason to hold back now. Division I hockey is a joke. Hockey overall is an afterthought that nobody gives a crap about west of Devils Lake, east of Warroad and South of Fargo. It's largely the sport for rich kids who aren't athletic enough to play other sports. You disagree, then why is does the greatest hockey player of all time (Wayne Gretzky) have the physique of a school girl?

Sioux hockey may win 10 championships but it ultimately doesn't amount to much as only 50 or so teams play Division I hockey and most of the schools that people associate with success in collegiate athletics don't even field teams (Florida, USC, Texas). If UND were in the NCAA tournament they most likely would have squared off with a school that is a recognizable name in every household in the country. Today the hockey team played Minnesota- Duluth. Point. Set. Match.

Well I guess I really have no reason to hold back now. Division I hockey is a joke. Hockey overall is an afterthought that nobody gives a crap about west of Devils Lake, east of Warroad and South of Fargo. It's largely the sport for rich kids who aren't athletic enough to play other sports. You disagree, then why is does the greatest hockey player of all time (Wayne Gretzky) have the physique of a school girl?

Sioux hockey may win 10 championships but it ultimately doesn't amount to much as only 50 or so teams play Division I hockey and most of the schools that people associate with success in collegiate athletics don't even field teams (Florida, USC, Texas). If UND were in the NCAA tournament they most likely would have squared off with a school that is a recognizable name in every household in the country. Today the hockey team played Minnesota- Duluth. Point. Set. Match.

Don't forget that hockey players usually aren't pack'n a 9. So they are not men at all.

Maybe they need more Bling Bling or get into dog fighting to be more men than they currently are?

you make good points, I think we should start a campain to get hockey players more like basketball players.

Who should we call first?

Dennis Rodman, JR don't call me Ryder?? Charles ( I think I have a brain) Barkley?

MAgic, I nailed so many chick I got AIDS, Johnson? How bout C O B Y, NO MEANS YES BRyant!!

LEt's just make sure our list is up to date cause we don't want to be calln some bro that is no longer with us due to a club murder or drive by.

Maybe Hockey players should just TAtoo their entire bodies and sag their pants down, They would look way more like men if their pants were hangn down to their skates?

Then maybe if we really turned hockey players into real men we could fill up that 12,000 seat barn, it is only 30% of the entire population of Grand Forks.

That would be like 3 million people at one BULLS game huh.

I sure do love rooting for a guy like Coby Bryant WAY MORE than some girl like Wayne Gretzky that is fo sur!! word!!!

Don't forget about the 19,000+ people at the MN state high school hockey championship game whom had nothing better to do. Timberpups must have been out of town.... :huh:

Bitter much? Or just depressed that few are buying what you're attempting, and failing, to sell?

Ben Jacobson at UNI just won his first round game against UNLV last night. Ask Ben how much publicity his team has received this week? Every paper in the country will carry the score and a column about it. Now UNI is in the second round and just wait and see how much publicity his team gets. His team is nothing special just 7-8 guys that play great BB together, do nothing stupid and don't beat themselves. Ask coach Saul how many radio and TV interviews he did before & after the Kansas game? There were hundreds. March Madness is a very big deal. Good luck to Ben in the next round.

You have no reason to hold back now.....and this is what you come up with? Wow, you really are an intellectual giant aren't you? Sounds like you are doing a bit of stereotyping, now doesn't it? :huh: Very interesting, especially in this thread...

At one time or another you were probably very enamored with school girls and their physiques....So does this mean that you grew up lusting after Wayne Gretzky? That would make you super fabulous!!! (Not that there's anything wrong with that of course) ;)

... Not athletic enough to play other sports? How many of these great Division 1 basketball players can even skate? Hell, include the not so great players too, like at NDSU? If they are such superior athletes to the rich, school girl looking hockey players, surely they can skate too. :D

Basketball is for girls that can't skate....

I can't wait for next Friday when you report back on this ongoing massive media coverage of the teams that lost in the first round yesterday and today.

I think you have just overtaken Bison Boy as the biggest tool on the board... You should be proud...super fabulously proud!

You have no reason to hold back now.....and this is what you come up with? Wow, you really are an intellectual giant aren't you? Sounds like you are doing a bit of stereotyping, now doesn't it? :huh: Very interesting, especially in this thread...

At one time or another you were probably very enamored with school girls and their physiques....So does this mean that you grew up lusting after Wayne Gretzky? That would make you super fabulous!!! (Not that there's anything wrong with that of course) ;)

... Not athletic enough to play other sports? How many of these great Division 1 basketball players can even skate? Hell, include the not so great players too, like at NDSU? If they are such superior athletes to the rich, school girl looking hockey players, surely they can skate too. :D

Basketball is for girls that can't skate....

I can't wait for next Friday when you report back on this ongoing massive media coverage of the teams that lost in the first round yesterday and today.

I think you have just overtaken Bison Boy as the biggest tool on the board... You should be proud...super fabulously proud!

:D

Ask them who won the national title in hockey, 95% would have no clue.

You do have a good thing going up there but some of you are so blinded by your puck love that it has truly become laughable. The Big Dance is only the second biggest sporting event in the country...behind only the Super Bowl.

What is actually more laughable is your jealousy of the success of Sioux hockey. That and your obsession for The Fighting Sioux nickname to go away...

Otherwise you would have better things to do than hang out on a Sioux sports board. But I suppose there isn't much going on at Bisonville these days...

I guess those games against Ohio State, Notre Dame and Cornell earlier this season were against schools that are not very "recognizable". God forbid anyone think those games against Michigan or BC were against "name brand" schools either. :huh:

In Kentucky, March Madness is the real deal. People plan their day around UK Basketball, both personally and professionally.

I could get behind Sioux Basketball, even though I'm much more of a hockey fan at heart. Basketball in North Dakota will never reach the fever pitch it does in Kentucky, but I still believe we can have it both ways: Keep the name, build the program. I also don't think the Summit is the end-all, be-all venue for us to achieve it.

For whatever it's worth, I'd trade March Madness in Kentucky for post-season UND Fighting Sioux Hockey i North Dakota any day of the week. That's just me. :D:huh:

No one has ever said that Summit is an end-all, be-all, but you can't get to the end-all, be-all if you don't take the first step!

First of all i didn't even grow up a hockey fan and am one now. Second of all I still love to watch the NCAA tourney. But all that mattered to me today was the Sioux beating the Bulldogs. The Sioux or Bison will NEVER win a national bball title, and it won't be a big deal if they win one game. Its big news but not BIG news. I don't see Murray State being on the front page of tomorrows news in every paper like you claim. Same would go for a hockey title. Lets put it this way....I'd rather be the best at something that 5% of America cares about than being a nobody for the other 95%....in other words you are less than that 5% and now more 0%. Lets face it, we are in North Dakota, what matters most between Minnesota and North Dakota? Hockey!!!

Minnesota? The entire state will be tuned in to watch the Gopher bball team in the tournament. The hockey team has it's rabid 5% fanbase.

North Dakota? I guarantee more people in the state will be tuned in to the MBB tournament than will be watching UND hockey.

Why won't NDSU or UND ever win a game?

Ohio and Murray State won yesterday as 14 and 13 seeds. It's happening more often as there are more and more talented players being developed in high school. The BCS schools can't get them all.

mplsbison you are right. At some point they might win a game. Being realistic a win might come one every generation. And then after that win they will exit the tournament. Unfortunately it is just the way it is. 20 or 30 years between wins is a long time.

The Class B basketball tournament is the biggest sporting event in ND. Yes, people in ND like basketball! There were 12,000 Bison fans at a basketball game in Minneapolis last year, tipoff was before noon. They rolled out the TVs in schools so kids could watch the game during school.

ND is not a hockey state...more delusional talk from the puck lovers.

You don't really want to talk attendance numbers do you? Okay... you asked for it.

12,000 Bison fans in Minneapolis for the biggest game in NDSU history? Good for you.

So here are the attendance numbers for both that event in Minneapolis, which i believe was actually for a 2 game session, with the numbers for the Sioux hockey game against Duluth the same day, just across the river in St. Paul.

NCAA "BIG DANCE" attendance numbers Friday March 20, 2009 at the Metrodome: 15,794 (KU/NDSU + 1 MORE GAME)

WCHA FINAL 5 attendance numbers Friday March 20, 2009 at The Xcel Energy Center: 17,729 (UND/UMD SINGLE GAME)

Now, let's compare the attendance figures for the Big 10 Basketball tournament, with the WCHA Final 5 for the same year... Oh, in case you are not familiar with the Final 5... It is a hockey tournament. Hockey is a niche sport that is only played by a bunch of schools that nobody has heard of, and nobody follows... :huh:

2009 BIG 10 BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT ATTENDANCE: Conseco Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, Indiana: 68,098

2009 WCHA FINAL FIVE TOURNAMENT ATTENDANCE: Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, Minnesota: 82,065

Plus, last night there were over 15,000 at the play in game at the WCHA Final 5 on a Thursday night.

So..like I said before.... GOOD FOR YOU with your attendance claims!

You can now go sit in the corner and feel shame.... :D

UND or NDSU can win a game in the dance. Anybody can beat anyone. #16's are now 0-102 going into today's games. #15 Robert Morris almost beat Villinova!!! If UND can get a team like Rich Glas had in the 90's we can hopefully raise some eyebrows and sneak a first round win. As for Sioux hockey, i think UND, Grand Forks, and North Dakota got a lot of publicity during the Olympics due to 2 former Sioux players on the men's side and the Lamaroux sisters on the women's side. The Olympics were broadcast around the world...thats right the WORLD!!!! You think anyone who plays hockey in ND doesn't have that dream of either winning a medal, playing in the pros or winning a national title? What do people who play Class B basketball think of? Am I good enough to play for UND or NDSU, and not be an Olmpian or win a national title? As for going pro in basketball from North Dakota very slim chance. IMO hockey is king in ND!

You don't really want to talk attendance numbers do you? Okay... you asked for it.

12,000 Bison fans in Minneapolis for the biggest game in NDSU history? Good for you.

So here are the attendance numbers for both that event in Minneapolis, which i believe was actually for a 2 game session, with the numbers for the Sioux hockey game against Duluth the same day, just across the river in St. Paul.

NCAA "BIG DANCE" attendance numbers Friday March 20, 2009 at the Metrodome: 15,794 (KU/NDSU + 1 MORE GAME)

WCHA FINAL 5 attendance numbers Friday March 20, 2009 at The Xcel Energy Center: 17,729 (UND/UMD SINGLE GAME)

Now, let's compare the attendance figures for the Big 10 Basketball tournament, with the WCHA Final 5 for the same year... Oh, in case you are not familiar with the Final 5... It is a hockey tournament. Hockey is a niche sport that is only played by a bunch of schools that nobody has heard of, and nobody follows... :huh:

2009 BIG 10 BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT ATTENDANCE: Conseco Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, Indiana: 68,098

2009 WCHA FINAL FIVE TOURNAMENT ATTENDANCE: Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, Minnesota: 82,065

Plus, last night there were over 15,000 at the play in game at the WCHA Final 5 on a Thursday night.

So..like I said before.... GOOD FOR YOU with your attendance claims!

You can now go sit in the corner and feel shame.... :D

Your numbers are wrong - 12,000 for the Gopher game - double that for 2 years in a roll. You can play with numbers all you want - hockey is still a regional sport with only 50 some teams of which 40 are usually very bad and under funded.