SiouxSports.com Forum

Kupchella's Open Letter to the NCAA

jimdahl

Though I first saw reference to it in a post here by LetsGoSioux!, I thought this deserved its own thread so reactions to it wouldn't be hidden away amidst the ongoing discussion.

An Open Letter to the NCAA - Charles E. Kupchella

It sounding like Dr. K has been logging some hours on the message board aside, I was impressed by his willingness to point at the elephants in the room and say, "sure we can follow your (rigged) appeal procedure, but first, why the hell are there elephants in this room?" While most of the talk in the media and on message boards has been about whether Native American nicknames are appropriate, we've all realized the real weakness of the ruling is its disconnect from other uses of American Indian names throughout American society and from the standards by which non-Indian team nicknames are judged.

Lines about how we couldn't call ourselves the Dakotans, and how the Office for Civil Rights declared there's no hostility stand a chance of prodding the NCAA to come up with a more clear position.

There was concern that Kupchella was not reacting in a timely fashion, i.e. FSU. Now we see that he was doing what is done best in the upper Mid-west>>take the information, review it closely, look at all the pertinent facts and than when the issue still looks cloudy, ask for clarification. It's good to see that we will be exercising our rights to appeal and, possibly, take legal action. I agree with Diggler, we will have the Regionals as contractually agreed upon and our Sioux name and logo will be proudly displayed. :glare:

I am glad you started a new thread for this topic. I agree that Dr. Kupchella's letter sounds like what we have all been saying to one another and to friends in discussion of this matter. I am glad we have him as a voice that the NCAA will have to listen and respond to.

Oh, and I love the line about does the NCAA think it can unilaterally modify contracts that have already been made? The formerly giddy UND-haters might want to rethink investing in G.F. duct tape suppliers... (assuming, of course, there actually is a binding contract that doesn't let the NCAA arbitrarily dictate changes to the venue).

Oh, and I love the line about does the NCAA think it can unilaterally modify contracts that have already been made?  The formerly giddy UND-haters might want to rethink investing in G.F. duct tape suppliers...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not to mention the idea of being forced to extensively modify athletic facilities that the NCAA gave its approval to at the time they were built.

There have been times in the past that we have all questioned Dr. Kupchella, I think we found out today how he really feels about UND.

Or at least how he feels about ambiguous, contradictory policies from a seemingly unwarranted direction.

All of the discussion this past week has been enjoyable and enlightening. I had posted on USCHO that the contractual agreements for the regionals this spring would most definitely hold up regarding any 'cover up'. There will be no cover up.

I had reservations as to the Presidents' initial attitude, now hopefully we'll see a matching resolve. We all know that the President has shown to be interested in moving on so let's hope this isn't just a crack in that armor. I am proud of UND and the President for their stance in this letter. They make several good arguements but moreover, they put the NCAA on point about democratic process. I would believe that other member institutions, affected or not, by this unilateral decision process will stand by their rights being 'given' to them.

Beyond these and other earlier comments, I would like to add to the topic about any contract alluded to. Why would the NCAA Committee try to institute a formal date for this policy and accomodate any retroactive and 'grandfather' concerns and at the same time make that date fall within a higher education calendar year?

Do not the 18 schools in question and the other 1000 member institutions have other sports with postseason competition fall before Feb. 1st.? Seems to me that the NCAA is really punishing only a very secular group of athletics.

Football under their implications can not be disuaded because their championships do not meet the policy criteria. All post season play of football is complete by 2/1 anyhow. That leaves basketball as the only 'major' sport that will be affected. And our "second tier" sport of hockey, track and a few others ESPN will not market. Coincidence?

More later, I have to pick up my son :glare:

I would say the letter is very direct if not "scathing" - which should help elicit a direct response from the NCAA and good for CK for doing it. He promised at least a formal appeal, and if that is unsuccessful, a lawsuit...I think he knows UND has to, or at least appear to, be willing to fight this to the bitter legal end...the alumni would demand no less!

Lines about how we couldn't call ourselves the Dakotans, and how the Office for Civil Rights declared there's no hostility stand a chance of prodding the NCAA to come up with a more clear position.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is this a North Dakota Office of Civil Rights or a federal Office?

Terrific articulation of a strong persuasive argument.  Alumni, students and friends can ask no more of a President than that.

Well done, President Kupchella.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. Good job Chuck. Way to give it to the NCAA...

Wow!! I never could have imagined the tone of this letter. I fully expected a "politically correct" letter that was soft and mushy, ineffectually taking the NCAA to task. This was the "in your face" type of letter that we all wanted, but the niceties of the situation would have watered down. Dr. K. must read this board for ideas. Good questions, to the point, and on the mark.

Is this a North Dakota Office of Civil Rights or a federal Office?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a federal office whose main purpose is to whine and complain about perceived "injustices", and waste our tax dollars. It has no enforcement authority whatsoever.

A friend of mine has asked a question I don't know the answer to regarding the Kupchella letter. The question refers to the following paragraph of the letter:

"We have two Sioux tribes based here in North Dakota. One has, in fact, objected to our use of the name, "Sioux," applied to our sports teams. The other said it was okay, provided that we took steps to ensure that some good comes of it, in educating people and students about the cultural heritage of this region. This mix of opinions is apparently not unlike that faced by our sister institution in Florida."

His question is:

"What two Sioux tribes are in North Dakota and which one is he referring to as objecting to the nickname? Does that tribe still actively seek to have it changed?  If so, what measures have they taken or are they taking?"

Does anybody here know the answer?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe the two Sioux tribes are the Standing Rock Sioux and the Spirit Lake Sioux. The Standing Rock Sioux are the tribe objecting to the nickname.

I haven't checked SiouxSports in the past few days... but when I finally did again this morning, I was glad to see a refute up of some sort on UND's part.

So I read this letter wrote by President Kupchella... They say there's always room for improvement, but in the case - I don't think so. This letter was very well written! I was pleasantly surprised.

Not sure what those NCAA fools were thinking when they enacted this silliness... but if they stick to it, especially with UND, I'll be surprised. Just thinking about the issue and how dumb that stupid ruling is makes my blood boil... :glare:

I wish the University all the best luck in fighting this silly and pointless ruling. I'm behind UND 100%.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/news...4004622,00.html

Already posted this in the media section, but this quote needs to be inserted into this thread.

When Hank Brown finishes sweeping the stables at the University of Colorado in a year or two or three, the regents should dispatch someone to see if Charles E. Kupchella might like to be considered for the job. Kupchella heads the University of North Dakota (the Fighting Sioux), and he's just published a wonderfully combative statement reacting to the NCAA's haughty decision to ban certain Indian mascots and names it considers "hostile and abusive" from postseason tournament play.

Being that I've wanted Kupchella gone for so long (since I met him just after he took the position), I can honestly say that this open letter surprised me.

I thought he didn't much care for the Sioux name. At times in the past, I grew to believe that (if he could find a different source of revenue) he'd cut athletics completely.

To read where he is now supporting the name and going up against the NCAA is quite amazing. It's hard for me to question his true motives behind it, but I'll take what I can get!