SiouxSports.com Forum

Possible replacement names

Brent_Bobyck

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are a few names we could use:

The Milk Drinkers - ND State Beverage - we could have a cup of milk tipped over pouring out as our mascot.

Square Dancers - ND State Dance

Meadowlarks - ND State Bird - we could have a Meadowlark taking a crap on Myles Brand head as our logo?

This one I actually kinda like,

The Northern Pikes- ND State Fish - A northern pike biting Myles Brand's head off as our logo?

or we could try some of these:

Southern Canadians - since ND is pretty close to the same thing eh!

ABOOTs - for the way most people in ND say ABOUT!

BOOT - for the way most people in ND say BOAT!

The Toe-st - for the way most people in ND say TOAST!

or The Fighting Ole's or Fighting Lena's or Fighting Swen's! :lol:

I think I may have just found the winner of the UND Name Competition!

Teredo Petrified Wood - ND State Fossil - We could have Myles Brand's Petrified Wood as our logo!! :lol:

C'mon, no one likes any of these! I thought I was being pretty funny! :lol:

Would the Turtle Mountain Chippewa have a problem if we changed the name to UND Chippewa and kept the logo? Didn't one of the members of that tribe design the logo anyway? That way we wouldn't be "abusive" or "offensive".

Additionally, I found the attached link regarding the name change issue.

http://www.chronwatch.com/content/contentD...y.asp?aid=20908

"The University of North Dakota went one step further and has petitioned the state of North Dakota to change its name, since it is named after the Dakota Indians. The new state name will be North Plains. And their mascot will be the Natural Spring Water Ice Cubes."

"Flickertails" is bad. Here's why:

When Oriska (ND) still had a high schools they were the "Flickers". On one occassion (at a tournament) someone took their all-caps "FLICKERS" banner and connected the right end of horizontal portion of the "L" with the bottom of the "I" ---> "F LI C K E R S" :lol:

Giddyap. :lol:

Great trend of the State animal is the University of symbol. Then, Flickertail is the recommended choice. AND KEEPS YOU OUT OF THE "FOR HER PLEASURE" TAUNTS :lol:

I would be willing to bet the farm that Flickertail will not be the name of the UND sports teams.

I would be willing to bet that there would be a ground swell of opposition to that stupid name.

I still like this as my #1, although I know it would probably never fly:

Change the "official" logo to the interlocking ND.

Keep the "Fighting Sioux" nickname honoring the military's H-13 Sioux Helicopter in reference to the Univerisity of North Dakota's aviation, medical, and space studies programs.

#2) No nickname. Just North Dakota. Sell the rights to the Sioux-Head logo to REA Inc. They can put it on as many hats and shirts as they want, just with no reference to UND or Fighting Sioux. The fans will carry the name on.

#3) Dakotans. That is what all residents of the state are, and a majority of UND's students.

#4) Since UND is the premeir aviation school in the nation, something like Flyers, Jets, Aeros, Dogfighters would be fitting.

#5) Rough Riders. I don't really like it, but if a name-change does happen, I'm 99% sure that this is what it will be.

--or--

I've always had a soft-spot for "Troopers" :lol:

ndhp.gif

The state of Minnesota nickname is The Gopher State.

The state of Nebraskas nickname is the Cornhusker State.

The state of Wisconsins nickname is the Badger State.

The state of Michigans nicknames are The Wolverine State, The Great Lakes State.

The state of Iowas nicknames are The Hawkeye State, The Tall Corn State.

The state of North Dakotas nicknames are Peace Garden State, Roughrider State, Flickertail State

I see a trend that I would like to see continue.

I like this one best.

THE NICKNAMES:

The Peace Garden State: (Official) This name commemorates the International Peace Garden on North Dakota's border with Manitoba, Canada. The International Peace Garden was dedicated on July 14, 1932. The nickname was made official by the North Dakota legislature in 1957.

Land of the Dakotas: This nickname recognizes the Dakota tribes of North Dakota. The Dakota are also referred to as Sioux. See below.

The Sioux State: Similar to "The Land of the Dakotas," this name recognizes the Sioux or Dakota people of North Dakota.

The Roughrider State: This nickname was used to promote tourism in the state in the 1960s and the 1970s. It references Theodore Roosevelt's short-live excursion into the cattle ranching business in North Dakota. On a buffalo hunting trip to the North Dakota Badlands in 1883, he was moved to purchase an interest in the Chimney Butte Ranch, also known as the Maltese Cross Ranch. After the tragic deaths of his mother and wife on the same day in 1894 and after the 1894 Republican convention in June, Roosevelt headed back to North Dakota to seek some peace and solitude. He purchased another parcel of land, located about 35 miles north of Medora, and named it the Elkhorn Ranch. Roosevelt's ranches were run by others as he spent most of his time in the east. His last visit to the Elkhorn Ranch was in 1892 and by 1898 he had sold all his holdings.

The Flickertail State: This nickname references the Richardson Ground Squirrel (Spermophilus richardsonii) of North Dakota. This squirrel flicks, or jerks, its tail while running and just before entering its borrow. The Flickertail March, by James D. Ployhar is North Dakota's official State March.

how about the imperial hunters? and our symbol/logo would be a big brown eye with bow n arrows
Actually, how about THE IMPERIALS out of respect for Ralph?

imperialadj.
  1. Of, relating to, or suggestive of an empire or a sovereign, especially an emperor or empress: imperial rule; the imperial palace.
  2. Ruling over extensive territories or over colonies or dependencies: imperial nations.

1. <LI type=a>Having supreme authority; sovereign.
    2. Regal; majestic.

[*]Outstanding in size or quality.

[*]Of or belonging to the British Imperial System of weights and measures.

1. An emperor or empress.
    2. The top of a carriage.
    3. Something outstanding in size or quality.
    4. A variable size of paper, usually 23 by 33 inches (55.8 by 83.8 centimeters).
    5. A pointed beard grown from the lower lip and chin.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=imperials

We could have a logo with a guy with emphasis on his pointed beard grown from the lower lip and chin! :lol:

or one of the other choices above?

n.

Ok, so I did a whole senior project on this issue. I came up with the logo and the name with a little help from some of the people on this board. What about the North Dakota Fighting Freeze??? If anybody wants me to post the logo I created for it, I will. I personally like the mascot for it better than the actual logo.

I still like this as my #1, although I know it would probably never fly:

#2) No nickname. Just North Dakota. Sell the rights to the Sioux-Head logo to REA Inc. They can put it on as many hats and shirts as they want, just with no reference to UND or Fighting Sioux. The fans will carry the name on.

#3) Dakotans. That is what all residents of the state are, and a majority of UND's students.

#4) Since UND is the premeir aviation school in the nation, something like Flyers, Jets, Aeros, Dogfighters would be fitting.

#5) Rough Riders. I don't really like it, but if a name-change does happen, I'm 99% sure that this is what it will be.

--or--

I've always had a soft-spot for "Troopers" :lol:

ndhp.gif

Do you really want to take the same nickname as the local high school? :lol:

What about keeping the name even if we are subject to restrictions? It would be worth it, at least for me, to not host playoff games so we could keep our name and tradition.

Am I the only one who won't consider changing the name? :lol:

What about keeping the name even if we are subject to restrictions? It would be worth it, at least for me, to not host playoff games so we could keep our name and tradition.

Am I the only one who won't consider changing the name? :lol:

NO!! My choice is the UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA FIGHTING SIOUX.

When and if the name changes, it will be a University decision, not the NC$$s. To change it now, would be admitting to the world that we are hostile and abusive. Bull doo doo!!!!!! :lol: