SiouxSports.com Forum

See ya later Matt Greene

pro17

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few things about Greene's future:

In some ways, the natural time for Greene to leave would have been after 2004. He was physically ready and apparently well-liked by Edmonton. I think the lockout may have kept him in college last year, and UND was rewarded as his captaincy and presence played a huge role in the team's advancement to Columbus.

I expect that he will eventually move on this Summer to join the Edmonton organization, but it will take a while. Edmonton has quite a lot to do (buying out veterans, signing its own free agents, shopping for new free agents, the draft) before it thinks about Matt Greene.

The AHL is a likely destination for a defenseman straight from college (Hale's and Martin's recent experience noted, but I consider them exceptions), and the AHL will have some openings, with recent young NHLers returning to the NHL after spending last year in the AHL.

So my prediction is that Edmonton eventually gets around to Greene and other similarly situated prospects in August. He signs then, and competes for a big-league job. Maybe he wins it, or maybe he goes to the AHL to learn the position professionally. I'll wish him well and thank him for his huge contribution if that's how it plays out.

p.s. I wouldn't mind being wrong.

INCH's Flight Risks metion Greene, as well as a couple more Sioux players.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm a bit surprised that Matt Smaby isn't mentioned.

EDIT: And what about DU's Brett Skinner? I see him as a potential flight risk for the Pioneers.

Edited by PCM

I predict that Matt Greene will buck the recent trend of early defections and stay in school.  Just a hunch, nothing more than that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, although I have nothing to base it on, it wouldn't surprise me if it happened.

Call it the hunger of unfinished business.  To be oh-so-close and not make it.  Plus, there is the thing with that Paukovich guy...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those are good reasons. I'd also call it following the example set by Matt Jones last season.

One positive is that Edmonton will not have an AHL team next year. They are suspending operations of their AHL team for one year. But other then that it doesn't look good. I bet there is a 90% chance that Greene leaves. Greene will be a huge loss. Like someone said earlier UND will only have one (Smaby) Dman back with experience. ouch I think Edmonton expects him to be in the NHL this year. It would be great to have him back.

I heard from a reliable source, "The SOURCE" he will indeed be leaving for the NHL.  He is finalizing his contract and that came from Greene himself!  :huh:  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can't really blame him, although I'm really disappointed to hear that.

If this news is from The Source, it is of course true that The Force is gone because The Source says the news comes straight from the horse.

Matt Greene is a horse. As in work horse and stud horse. He is a top-shelf guy who always gave his all on the ice, and who was always nothing but courteous and cordial to the fans and to the University.

He has done all that he can, or needs, to do at this level. Why come back to hear a fair number of boneheads from the stands complain about his time in the penalty box? We is one of the principal reasons why the Sioux were so fun to watch over the last three years. He is probably the main reason why the Sioux ran all the way to Columbus last year.

I sometimes chuckle in mild aggravation over the posts that were flying around here earlier this year about Greene being a detriment. Well, we need not cry about that anymore.

Good luck and godspeed to Matt, if in fact The Source has been laying off of the vodka.

I'd love to see Matt back for another season.  The Sioux will be thin enough at defense the way it is.  They better get the goals per game up to about 7.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lee Marvin will probably have to move permanently back to d. He will be a regular back there if the expected happens and Greene bolts. No offense to Lee but that is scary!