SiouxSports.com Forum

DI vs DII (Horizon League)

sokarcrazy

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Herald reported today that Kupchella wrote a formal letter to the NCAA asking them to allow schools to move sports to DI on a sport-by-sport basis.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/13265612.htm

IMO, this is just silly. While it would be ideal for UND, and probably lots of other schools, there is no way that the NCAA will allow this to ever happen. To me, this makes it look like Kupchella is basically saying that UND probably isn't going to move to DI. But by forming a committee and writing this letter, he can tell the football alumni and others in favor of DI that he did everything he could do to look into it. I am starting to adopt the opinion that many others have, that UND will not go DI as long as Kupchella is at the helm. ???

The Herald reported today that Kupchella wrote a formal letter to the NCAA asking them to allow schools to move sports to DI on a sport-by-sport basis.

I am starting to adopt the opinion that many others have, that UND will not go DI as long as Kupchella is at the helm. ???

Why are you worried? Kupchella has already stated he's not staying at UND much longer.

Has he really said that? Or are you just referring to him applying for the Marshall job?

That and he said he was going to announce a retirement date in the next few months. Him being quoted as he has accomplished everything he can while at UND.

The president is on 3 year contracts. I am not sure when this one is up. Remember the emails between higher ed board memeber? Bev Clayburghs harsh email about Kupchella.

The Marshall job was 315 miles from his hometown of Nanty Glo, Pa. That would have been a nice transition to his retirement, but he didn't get it.

A subsequent e-mail message to North Dakota University System Chancellor Robert Potts revealed that Kupchella was seeking a specific date about a year away when he could step down as UND president. In the e-mail, he expressed interest in seeking other employment while continuing to serve as UND president.

IMO, this is just silly. While it would be ideal for UND, and probably lots of other schools, there is no way that the NCAA will allow this to ever happen. To me, this makes it look like Kupchella is basically saying that UND probably isn't going to move to DI. But by forming a committee and writing this letter, he can tell the football alumni and others in favor of DI that he did everything he could do to look into it. I am starting to adopt the opinion that many others have, that UND will not go DI as long as Kupchella is at the helm. ???

Actually, IMO, this says that UND will be going IAA in football: if it gets the exception (0.0001% chance), otherwise its moving to DI. A political benefit of this letter is that Kupchella can say that he did everything possible to keep the NCC together for non-football sports. UND would not be spending money on a DI consultant if they were not serious about a DI move. Ironically, contrary to public perceptions, Kupchella's last act before retiring will probably be annoucing a move to DI, with a conference bid and financing in tow.

I could probably find the answer to this by digging, but I know that some people have the answer at hand. What is the deadline for a school to declare a change of classification, exploratory or otherwise?

If UND got the paperwork to the NCAA by Wednesday, 05-06 would be their "exploratory" year. Obviously, that's probably not going to happen.

If UND got the paperwork to the NCAA by Wednesday, 05-06 would be their "exploratory" year. Obviously, that's probably not going to happen.

That is incorrect. The paperwork must be received in the NCAA office by Sept. 1 of the year that is declared the exploratory year-(it appears it was amended this year)

From the handy, dandy, NCAA DI Manual :

20.5.2 Requesting Reclassification

20.5.2.1 Deadline for Submission of Petition. When petitioning for change of division member-

ship, a member shall notify the Division I Management Council Membership Subcommittee on an

application approved by the subcommittee. The application shall be received in the national office

(by mail or wired transmission) not later than September 1 during the academic year that the

institution begins its one-year exploratory period in the reclassification process. Any application

received after that date shall be postmarked not later than August 25. Afee of $15,000 shall

accompany the application. If the applicant fails to qualify for active membership, the application

fee shall be refunded, less any expenditure for educational costs related to the membership

process. (Revised: 4/25/02 effective 8/1/02, 4/24/03 effective 8/1/03, 3/10/04, 4/28/05)

2006/2007 would be the earliest UND could start the exploratory year.

I thought that last year, when RT was all gung ho and sending the inquiry letter to the Big Sky that the dead line was Dec. 10?

From what I remember, it was Dec. 1 in previous years, including when NDSU moved up. What I quoted above was from the 2005/2006 DI manual, and that states Sept. 1.Looks like the NCAA changed it.

Ironically, contrary to public perceptions, Kupchella's last act before retiring will probably be annoucing a move to DI, with a conference bid and financing in tow.

I just hope that Kupchella's legacy is more than just remembering him as the president that spent multi-millions to build a parking ramp.

That is incorrect. The paperwork must be received in the NCAA office by Sept. 1 of the year that is declared the exploratory year-(it appears it was amended this year)

From the handy, dandy, NCAA DI Manual :

2006/2007 would be the earliest UND could start the exploratory year.

My bad, I guess I'll have to take the "NCAA Division I Manual" refresher course ??? The September 1 date does make more sense, since it falls more in line with the start of the academic year.

Why is it silly? Seems to be a reasonable point of view, IMO. Although it almost seems like Kup is trying to stir the pot at the NCAA. Maybe a little payback.

Now toss in whispers that SCSU is looking at DI ....
Comments and further questions:

SCSU offers 23 sports by DI definition and it only needs to sponsor 14 (6 men’s and 8 women’s) if it were to move to DI. Dropping seven or even nine sports, like M&W swimming, M&W skiing, wrestling, baseball, softball, M&W tennis, would free up coaches salaries and some scholarship dollars that could be diverted elsewhere.

St Cloud is more and more looked at as being part of the Twin Cities metro area. The MidCon, maybe the Missouri Valley, and certainly the Horizon League are covetous of that media market.

St. Cloud St. could be to the Horizon League like Northern Colorado is to the Big Sky - accepted into membership almost entirely because of media and travel considerations.

Would SCSU students support a $100-$200 annual DI activity fee increase ala UC-Davis, Cal Poly, and Northern Colorado?

Would the Horizon add SCSU and then one Dakota school? Would the MidCon find the Minneapolis TV market too enthralling and accept SCSU by itself, or go to two divisions with SCSU, NDSU, and SDSU?

IF SCSU President Saigo ever become becomes a man of influence in a DI expansion situation, that would not be good to UND.

The idea of a DI NCC is rubbish. Any individual school that receives a membership offer from an auto-bid conference would be long gone prior to the NCC’s 13-year wait for an autobid.

A mid-major DI schools in Minnesota would not be good for UND (or NDSU/SDSU) recruiting in Minnesota. The only way it would benefit UND is if somehow UND could get a conference bid in tandem with SCSU.

As a hockey school I wouldn't be too worried about SCSU recruiting athletes (particularly bballers) away from NDSU/SDSU.

Since SCSU is only at about 30 scholarships for football, I would agree that them going I-AA wouldn't necessarily have a huge effect on UND (or NDSU), since I can't see them upping their scholarship numbers to a large degree anytime soon. In basketball, however, they could have a major effect on the Dakota schools' ability to recruit mid-major caliber dI players in Minnesota. They have a good coach, they draw pretty well, and never underestimate the significance of their proximity to the twin cities metro area.

With the landscape of DII continually changing, and with UND and SCSU looking into DI moves, what are the odds that the hockey schools of the NCC could move up to DI, form a conference, and leave behind Augie and USD to deal with the NSIC and Dac-10?

Disaster. You're talking about no more Minnesota or Wisconsin. They'll all finally get their Big Ten conference and attendance everywhere will dip.