SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU Hockey

Bison101

I was just curious what the opinion on Hockey at SU is up North. Although we have put off Hockey for now to achieve D1 status, how would you all feel if Hockey was to be added here? In particular, with word going around that Penn State is interested in Hockey, do you think they would form a big 10 league since they would have the required membership? What would UND do? Hopefully sooner than later UND will go D1 so we can get our nickel back. What about the possibility of USD ever adding hockey? They only reason I mention any of this is that with our move to D1, our current winter revenue sports will be bottom feeders, like it or not. Although I love basketball, Hockey could be the winter sport that we need here at NDSU to cover the gap unitl Football starts. The same could be said for other schools in the region and thats why I mention USD. Anyways, just rambling on and was curious what the opinion on NDSU hockey would be up North.

As much fun as I have ripping on NDSU (in general) and their efforts to get DI hockey (in particular), I would like to see them get a DI hockey team at some point. Just makes the rivalry better. But I don't think they should be a member of the WCHA.... at least not until they are well established and competitive. We don't need a Robert Morris or Bentley type team in the WCHA (we already have JBSU).

In particular, with word going around that Penn State is interested in Hockey, do you think they would form a big 10 league since they would have the required membership? What would UND do?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not too worried about this and if it happened, UND would still be fine.

No, there will not be a BTHC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, if Penn State started up a DI hockey program, they could rename the CHA anything they want. If they want to call it the BTHC, find 4 more hockey programs to join it and you've got it. ;)

Dean Blais said it best (paraphrased): It be another sport to beat them at. ;)

To play hockey you need some key things:

- an arena

- money

NDSU's AD plainly states with their current priorities they don't have either of those for hockey right now.

Talking about this is talking about what you're going to do with your PowerBall winnings before you've won.

I was just curious what the opinion on Hockey at SU is up North. Although we have put off Hockey for now to achieve D1 status, how would you all feel if Hockey was to be added here? In particular, with word going around that Penn State is interested in Hockey, do you think they would form a big 10 league since they would have the required membership? What would UND do? Hopefully sooner than later UND will go D1 so we can get our nickel back. What about the possibility of USD ever adding hockey? They only reason I mention any of this is that with our move to D1, our current winter revenue sports will be bottom feeders, like it or not. Although I love basketball, Hockey could be the winter sport that we need here at NDSU to cover the gap unitl Football starts. The same could be said for other schools in the region and thats why I mention USD. Anyways, just rambling on and was curious what the opinion on NDSU hockey would be up North.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Get "YOUR" nickel back ;) ?? When will you guys finally give it a rest? The nickel is right where it is supposed to be. ;)

Bison101, you seem bored, so ....

Moose97 on USCHO is a media person (radio?) from Bemidji. He really does call and interview the ADs he mentions when he posts. He called an AAD at Penn State: http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?p=19...enn#post1972026

As far as NDSU, straight from the horse's (and moose's?, meese?, micers?) mouth: http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?p=19...DSU#post1972763

Here you can read up even more on the subject:

CHA looking for another team to stay as an eligible conference.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=49507

Penn State to CHA?

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=49273

Don't forget:

USCHO is a "reverse board". The oldest (first) post is on the bottom of the highest numbered page.

My only fear would be that the good players would spread out in North Dakota, But that would take awhile for NDSU to get good enough for recruting them anyway. The Nickel is where it belongs.We won it most and last. :0;);)

"NDSU and hockey" is kinda like "milk and wiskey" . . . they just don't go together. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What, haven't you ever had a Whiskey-Coke float ;)

Hockey at NDSU is a pipe-dream! They would have to divert $$$ from the beloved football team and as far as an arena, Fargo residents have spoken...this past Tuesday voting down the latest proposed arena.

Unless there is outside $$$ donated, it's not gonna happen.

But I don't think they should be a member of the WCHA.... at least not until they are well established and competitive.  We don't need a Robert Morris or Bentley type team in the WCHA (we already have JBSU).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey now, thats our "rival..." ;);)

What, haven't you ever had a Whiskey-Coke float ;)

Hockey at NDSU is a pipe-dream! They would have to divert $$$ from the beloved football team and as far as an arena, Fargo residents have spoken...this past Tuesday voting down the latest proposed arena.

Unless there is outside $$$ donated, it's not gonna happen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think more than anything these votes, and past USHL teams, have shown that Fargo residents simple wouldn't support a hockey team of any level. Given, a D1 hockey team would be more exciting to watch than USHL.

Just think if NDSU would have started D 1 hockey in the early 90's. Remember the rumors about Gino being there coach. Just think where they could be today. Probably a middle pack team, that would be a great team every four or five years kind of like Duluth.

By the way Sid Hartman said in his column that every team that made it to the frozen four this year received $100,000. Isn't that why NDSU went D 1 so they could get into the tourneys and make money.

Just think if NDSU would have started D 1 hockey in the early 90's.  Remember the rumors about Gino being there coach.  Just think where they could be today.  Probably a middle pack team, that would be a great team every four or five years kind of like Duluth. 

By the way Sid Hartman said in his column that every team that made it to the frozen four this year received $100,000.  Isn't that why NDSU went D 1 so they could get into the tourneys and make money.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought to get money at the Frozen four you must be a D-1 school??

Fargo is a football town, and it seems that the Football Power/Boosters are threatened by hockey.

However, to the original question, D1 hockey in Fargo would help participation in peewees bantams mites all that, and probably make the pool of potential players a lot bigger. Suppose it got to the point where Fargo produced as many D1 prospects per capita as GF... that's a lot of players ... and I think UND would be able to skim the cream of the crop. Overall it definitely would help UND hockey.

In the short run (like 20 years) it would be another sport to beat NDSU at.