SiouxSports.com Forum

Thoughts On Next Year

dagies

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe not next year - But I'm still hoping Marto makes the right choice - we will regret not having him in a few years - especially if the Goophs or Bulldogs get him

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe I'm way off, but I don't see Marto being WCHA material. :lol: I've only seen a couple of games though.

You are way off & trust me he is being recruited Hard

Put a few pounds on him & get him in a weight room & he will be GREAT!!! - Good Grades & Mature & Coordination - He could play 3 sports (possibly all 3 D1)

Talk about Offensive Defenseman & a Lefty - He is going to be the Real Deal

Being a 3 sport Athlete - he has not gone to all the camps & other things to get the recognition

But if we lose him - I will predict we will be sorry BIG Time in a few Years

Put a few pounds on him & get him in a weight room & he will be GREAT!!! - Good Grades & Mature & Coordination - He could play 3 sports (possibly all 3 D1)

Being a 3 sport Athlete - he has not gone to all the camps & other things to get the recognition

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess, well see... :lol:

Radke scored the game-winning goal in the second game against Bemidji. It was a nice slapshot right off the draw. He played the next two games against Denver and had a couple of nice slapshots right off faceoffs, but didn't score. It did demonstrate his potential, however.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Radke, although we didn't see him much, was the only dman that, when he played, consistently got hard low shots on goal on the Sioux PP. Genoway was good at it, but obviously not a dman. Had to assume the lack of playing time was some defensive zone mistakes that the more experienced Sioux dmen did not make.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree Marto is a good raw talented player. I could see him playing some where, the kid can definately get the puck up ice.

Wow.  You make me feel like the team I root for will have little chance against the Sioux in the coming years with the group of defense they currently have.  :lol:

Of course I'm sure none of the three Sioux freshmen defensemen will wear down next season, and definetly not at the end of the year at the Frozen Four when they are playing the best teams who are playing their best.

I think you are right on with Lee though, he seems to be very calm when he has the puck and able to make good passes or take the hard shot when he is the open player.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats not what I am saying at all. I am saying Lucia got a bunch of offensive defensemen, its almost like he sold his soul for offensive defensemen. I don't think that is going to serve UMN very well. Nor did the pylons serve the USA WJC team very well because both of them were burned on numerous time, that is why I decided to call them the pylons. There play didn't change all that much during the second half of the season for UMN. Besides I am not complaining since UofMN got the 2 Pylons UND is 3-1 against them. Briggs also has a horrible record against UND. So I am glad for he is playing too.

I also think that UND are going to be powerful teams in the next few years. The Gophers will level off after Kessel leaves after playing one season in the WCHA. Besides aren't the Gopher fans the one that tells us look what God did in 2 years at UND. Your right a top recruit doesn't automatically make it possble for an NCAA title. I also think a lot of funs around the league are not realizing the signifigance of UND getting Toews, I think the makes the UMN pick up a wash. So I do think its funny when I read Gopher fans predicting many years of Frozen Fours when the whole league is just as strong as they are or if not better. The successful teams in the NCAA tourney this season were teams that played the shut down defense and not the teams that had the offensive defensemen ala C.C., B.C. and Minnesota. However, I hate to cloud the issue with fact.

Edited by Goon

Thats not what I am saying at all. I am saying Lucia got a bunch of offensive defensemen, its almost like he sold his soul for offensive defensemen. I don't think that is going to serve UMN very well. Nor did the pylons serve the USA WJC team very well because both of them were burned on numerous time, that is why I decided to call them the pylons. There play didn't change all that much during the second half of the season for UMN. Besides I am not complaining since UofMN got the 2 Pylons UND is 3-1 against them.  Briggs also has a horrible record against UND. So I am glad for he is playing too.

I also think that UND are going to be powerful teams in the next few years. The Gophers will level off after Kessel leaves after playing one season in the WCHA. Besides aren't the Gopher fans the one that tells us look what God did in 2 years at UND. Your right a top recruit doesn't automatically make it possble for an NCAA title. I also think a lot of funs around the league are not realizing the signifigance of UND getting Toews, I think the makes the UMN pick up a wash. So I do think its funny when I read Gopher fans predicting many years of Frozen Fours when the whole league is just as strong as they are or if not better. The successful teams in the NCAA tourney this season were teams that played the shut down defense and not the teams that had  the offensive defensemen ala C.C., B.C. and Minnesota. However, I hate to cloud the issue with fact.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First of all, Minnesota and DU had fairly successful post seasons and certainly both relied on defensemen to create offense at times. DU's pair of Skinner and Carle are very similar to the Leopold/Martin combination the Gophers enjoyed for a season. Spectacular at both ends.

I think you underestimate how good the Gophers were defensively this past season. Their GAA went down almost a third of a goal per game from '03-'04 and was actually almost a quarter of a goal less than either of the their recent championship teams.

UND was far superior physically and really superior in all aspects than the Gophers at the end of the season. Of course there was probably only two additional teams who were also better than the Gophers, three if you count Michigan.

The Gophers problem this season was truly at the offensive side of the rink. They were down three quarters of goal per game from the '02-'03 champions and very nearly full goal per game from the '01-'02 champs. I'm convinced they will never be that great in nets and they need the high powered offense to make up for the goals they give up.

I don't think many fans that pay attention will ever discount UND and their recruits. One thing I don't quite understand though is if Kessel and Toews are the same caliber player and same age, why Toews would be assumed to have a longer college career? It seems like Parise and Vanek, they are both probably two year players. Both should be awesome to watch and the vile red neighbors to the east have to be seathing as I think they were highly interested in both players.

If the Gophers recruits perform close to their expectations, the Gophers will be good enough to win the NCAA's if they get the bounces. This season they got several breaks/bounces (mainly backing into the last #1, playing at home, and of course the two OT games in the regional) and still really weren't that close.

I actually think UND will be better next year than this whether or not Greene stays or leaves. Stafford, Zajac, Murray and Spirko gives them better returning forwards than just about everyone. The goaltending is in fine shape and the improved offense will allow the new defensemen to adjust to the college pace without having to be perfect.

As much as I'd like to think the title is between the Gophers and UND, those freakin' Colorado teams look to be pretty darn good next season as well.

sagard, Nice post. I agree that MN will be right there next year. It's not just adding Kessel, it's also adding Stoa, Wheeler and Bostrom. And it's not like they stunk this year - they played a game in April. While they lose some numbers (and real character guys like Fleming (a Sioux nemesis but one of those contributors I really respect)), they don't lose much top-end talent. The babies on defense will be a year older. It'll just be a heck of a team.

UND's forwards should be just plain nasty next year. The top line (frosh, frosh, soph) was outplaying pretty much everyone at the end of the year, and that was without Murray. There will be a lot of new kids, but hopefully some with a real jump in their step. I think the questions on defense are more significant than you indicated, and Greene's return, though I don't expect it, would be key. Without Greene and Bina in the lineup, UND would be returning only one of its six regular defensemen. That must be unprecedented, and would be very difficult to overcome.

I think a key for MN's and Wisconsin's chances next year is the state of the NHL. If they fix things there, I imagine at least Stuart, Carle and Greene would be pretty likely to go. I'm sure there are quite a few others who might go, but not too many on either Minnesota or Wisconsin. That could soften the Colorado schools up maybe just enough. Denver was darn good this year and obviously a deserving champion, but I think they've used up their good fortune after the last two years. 2004 was just ridiculous, and despite how good they were in 2005, the last game was just a few bounces away from a different result against a team that was equally as good.

I believe that both Kessel and Toews will have solid, but short WCHA careers. I haven't been overly impressed with offensive players from the Development team, but I did see Kessel play very well at the WJC. IMO he was the third best forward on USA after Stafford and O'Sullivan. His game was very raw. I haven't seen Toews play, but he has Parise-esque credentials, and any player that goes number one in the W draft has some serious talent. MN and UND will field lineups with multiple first round picks with Zajac, Stafford, Wheeler, Toews, Kessel, Chucko, Lee and Stoa all being first rounders already or projected first rounders. Wheeler caught Wayne's eye, which says a lot, but he didn't put up big numbers and he reminds me of Tallackson. Anyway, both programs will be solid again, and it will be who is playing the best come March and April who brings home the important hardware. The WCHA has really separated into two classes of team with UND, MN and Denver being in every NCAA title game this millenium. CC, Wisconsin and UMD (last year) also are competitive on a fairly regular basis. The rest of the league is the perpetual doormats and will remain so, as the top talent continues to migrate to REA, Mariucci and Colorado.

Marto is being heavily recruited and rightly so. I watched him play this year and he reminds me a lot of another guy I know and watched play, Paul Martin. Obviously Paul Martin 2005 is much different than Paul Martin 1999 or 2000 and that is the Martin that Marto reminds me of. If he works and develops the way PM did at UMN, he could be NHL material.

I had a conversation recently with a friend who's spent a great deal of time with both Sioux coaching staff and NHL players, GMs and agents. A couple of interesting points, paraphrasing:

1. The current state of flux regarding the NHL and the (lack of) CBA probably puts Matt Greene's probability of signing a pro contract and not coming back for his senior year at less than 50/50. With no CBA in place, it is impossible for anyone to sign an NHL contract, or even to negotiate an NHL salary through a two-way contract. Even contracted players like Zach have no idea what kind of money they'll make if and when the NHL plays again.

2. Sioux coaches are absolutely giddy about their incoming freshmen! "An unbelievable collection of talent" is what I was told.

3. Further, the coaching staff is not really worried about the possibility of having just a handful of returning d-men. "We have a system in place; it works, and it will continue to work."

4. The offense that I have been crediting to Eades all season is really the brainchild of Hak. He has been the driving force behind designing, implementing and perfecting the grinding, cycling style that Bill Clement raved about in the Regional.

Can't wait for October!

Does anyone know if the Sioux are trying to real in another top recruit for next year or have they stopped they recruiting for this year. Throw out some names if there is any so I can look them up. I also think the Goofer-Sioux match-up will be great next year. It should make for some very good games with the Sioux coming out with wins......

They will need a 3rd goalie for sure. Some one that will walk on, with no scholarship money. How about the Bismark goalie Walski. Being we have a soph and freshmen, this goalie would be a third string goalie for practice.

As far as Defensemen, my guess is they dont want to bring in a kid, unless they can get him cheap. Remember these scholarships are like a salary cap and they probably dont have much money left. It is so late where do you find a "D" that is uncommitted, that will step in and play next year. They other reason is there are some great d-men uncommitted that we would like for 2 years down the road. Tyson Dowzak(6'5"), Jake Marto, Joe Finley(6'7").

With that said, lets pray for Greene to come back and maybe Bina by late fall or Christmas.

I actually agree with Sagard. For all the flak you take about your team, you're sure a great contributor to this board.

I'm thinking, since seeing line combos gives me butterflies...

Stafford-Zajac-Spirko You have to figure that'll come back

Porter-Murray-Toews Why not try Murray (who has centered as a Sioux before) with Porter and Toews...size and speed.

Prpich-Kaip-Fabian Add Miller for taste...and you have another Grind(er) Line

Watkins-Duncan-Kozek I'm not sure on this one, but there's always a possibility of one of the Frosh sitting in favor of a Foyt or Marvin.

As for Defense...

Greene-Lee If Greene comes back I bet he gets the "Andy Schneider" roll of training in the new big gun.

Smaby-Jones The new defense are new to me as well, as I've only seen Lee play. But Smaby is ready to take on a large roll as a rock on defense.

Chorney-Radke The key, if not obvious already, is to watch out for all Freshman pairings...at least for the first month or so. I'm one of those guys who think Radke learned A LOT more than just what he saw in game experience.

There is a good possibility that Hak will do what Blais did and combine the vets and give the freshmen a pairing of their own. However, for most of the season, I don't see that. I agree that Foyt and Marvin will most likely bounce between forward and D. We'll see how the freshmen fair, and then Hak will adjust accordingly.

4. The offense that I have been crediting to Eades all season is really the brainchild of Hak. He has been the driving force behind designing, implementing and perfecting the grinding, cycling style that Bill Clement raved about in the Regional.

Can't wait for October!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think that we have the personel for this offense in 2005-2006. Look for speed kills...

Porter-Murray-Toews Why not try Murray (who has centered as a Sioux before) with Porter and Toews...size and speed.
So Much talent here is scary, however I don't want line combinations of NHL talent level players whose names you can easily Make into the TEMP line. 3 years minimum, 4 would be better, just not TEMP players. :lol:

Joe Finley(6'7").

Who is this?