SiouxSports.com Forum

Herb Brooks' quote

U2Bad1

Ok.. this isn't meant to stir the pot or anything, but this quote out of a story on prideonice.com is the most priceless thing i have ever read

"Foss wrote that Brooks uttered the quote during last weekend's St. Cloud State-North Dakota series in St. Cloud. News of the quote had reached Mariucci Arena by Friday night, causing enough of a stir to send the hockey man, Lou Nanne, on a trip to the press box.

"OK, what did Herbie say in the Grand Forks paper?" Nanne asked two Star Tribune reporters.

A quick Internet search produced the quote attributed to Brooks. Nanne gazed at it on a computer screen for a moment, said, "Oh, my goodness," and then departed."

http://www.startribune.com/stories/512/3435594.html

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have it on pretty good authority that Brooks left Minnesota on unpleasant terms related to his compensation, as well as control issues over the direction of the program. Moreover, Brooks did not really mesh with the admins and academics who exerted some influence over the hockey program, as well as the athletic dept in general. Herb's a nice guy, and he doesn't mince his words ... about anything. :0

Was at Mariucci last night. "The Quote" was definitely being discussed in our section, as well as in the can. It got even louder as Minnesota fell deeper into the hole too. :D

Although kind of funny, I think too much is being made of this. For one thing, the quote may not even be accurate. Even if accurate, it may be attributable more to Brooks' relationship with Blais than anything else.

It just like Reusse to latch on to this though. He likes to stir the rumor mill and has no affinity for the gophers. He knows the big hockey boosters will cringe at this and wants to twist the panties a little tighter.

ScottM, I had heard that Herbie felt Minnesota was working a little too hard behind the scenes to thwart the building of the NHC and other things being done to get the program at St. Cloud off the ground. Whether they were or not, that might also explain his relationship with Minnesota now. Do you know anything about this?

ScottM, I had heard that Herbie felt Minnesota was working a little too hard behind the scenes to thwart the building of the NHC and other things being done to get the program at St. Cloud off the ground. Whether they were or not, that might also explain his relationship with Minnesota now. Do you know anything about this?

The only thing I know was that Brooks was a big proponent of expanding D1 hockey in this state, including SCCC and eventually BSU. I hadn't heard of the Minnesota bigshots trying to thwart the expansion of SCCC's program or the building of the NCC. However, if they indeed did run counter to Brooks' views on the subject and actively worked to stunt SCCC's emergence in D1 hockey it may have contributed to the bad blood he may feel towards the school.

I understand that Brooks has a lot of regard for Blais, and for UND's hockey tradition even though he fought like hell to beat the Sioux whenever he could. He's pretty much of the "old school" in that fashion. :0

It's really too bad if indeed the quote is entirely accurate. Brooks is often mentioned in the same awed tones as Mayisich and Mariucci around here for what he did for the program. Then again, Brooks isn't the first alum of a school to have some degree of ill-will develop. :D

Here's a link to the Pioneer Press regarding Mr. Brooks' comments: http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress...ota/4533422.htm

The best quote of the whole article: "As expected, the Gophers announced the official signings of four recruits to national letters of intent: forwards Ryan Potulny and Dan Irmen of Grand Forks, MINN..."

Get a map - it's Grand Forks ND and East Grand Forks MN

:D

In response to Jim Dahl's post about "ill will"

Exactly ..... remember when voting for the Hobey two years ago, many Sioux fans flew off the handle when Coach Lucia didn't vote for Jeff Panzer ..... there was no ill will in Lucia's vote, he simply voted for the most deserving person for the award....... a Hobey vote shouldn't be made based on "league" loyalty. That was Lucia's choice, so he, I'm sure, won't begrudge Mr. Brooks weighing in with his opinion, as it is his opinion to give.

Sorry Jim I was trying to quote you, but as I'm terrible with computer stuff I couldn't figure out the quote function.

I don't who said it but whoever said the following "What's wrong with telling the turth?" If you ask me there's nothing wrong with telling the truth. Honesty, nothing wrong whatsoever. So Coach Brooks keep on telling the truth, better yet just tell it like it is. Trust me the late Howard Cosell would be proud of you.

I'm over it. Herbie was a great coach, but he's not always the best public speaker. :D

Parise went to the school of his choice and unfortunately that wasn't MN. He's a great player and will do well at UND.

The MN vs. UND games should continue to be exciting for one reason or another.

During Saturday's telecast of the Goofer game, Coach Woog referenced to the quote. He basically said Virg was not a very reliable source and had been wrong on things in the past. He referenced a substance abuse report on one of the Goofer players that Virg was totally wrong on??.. It all sounded like spin to me... Maybe the Wooger needs a hug....

I mean honestly, Woog is a gamer, basically it is an embarrassment to his university of course they are going to try to discredit the report, but really has Brooks came out and made a comment against the statement? Nope so that in its self give credence to the statement.

I mean really who cares its not that big of a deal but it appears to be a sore spot for some. I think its funny that some are getting sore about people commenting on how Zack went to the UofM. Wait till Brady Murray comes next season and they tear the league up. UND is going loaded for quite some time. Looks like the Target is returning to the back of every Sioux Jersey already...

Face it, lossing Parise was a big blow to the UofM so was losing Bochenski. For those that say differently I say fiddle sticks. Why do them make so much about it. I say it is time to move on. Maybe we should be pissed that Blaiser didn't get Vanek. Could you imagine Vanek next to Bochenski and Parise? Wow...

Maybe Woog should talk to Brooks before he questions Foss' credibility. It's not exactly the type of quote you'd want to throw out there without knowing whether it's 100% accurate.

Virg,The tape never lies.

Last 3-5 minutes of the first period.

I can't wait until this weeks ICE TIME in the Herald this week! :0

Sic,Heyyyy I was gonna say that! :D

Brooks is now saying the quote is inaccurate:

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/s...rts/4552133.htm

Hard to say if it is spin control or not........However, I have a hard time believing that a hard quote would be misrepresented by Virg.

Like PCM, I think, said earlier. When you quote someone, you use the exact quote. When you describe what they said to you, then there is more room for interpretation. Virg used supposedly an exact quote. We'll see....

Does any of this really matter? Bottom line, the kid is playing for UND and doing quite well.

Come on, Parise's already been subjected to more scrutiny than any 18-year old should have to face. I say let's move on before he gets tired of our senseless yammering and decides to transfer (not that I see that happening) or leave for a higher league.

I'll say one last thing on the topic, as this goes to Virg's integrity as well as it is a discussion about Parise.

I heard Patrick Reusse on KSTP this morning. He said that Brooks called him last night and said he didn't say that to Virg. However, he wouldn't go on the record with that either.

Reusse's comments seemed to indicate some uncertainty whether this was just spin control by Brooks, or a flat denial that this ever happened.

I think that it is telling he wouldn't go on the record with Reusse.

The articles seem to indicate that Zach never talked to Brooks, hence the inaccuracy.

I suspect that Brooks actually said something very similar to the quote to J.P. Parise. Foss got ahold of that secondhand and printed what was told him as a quote (though the exact wording might not have been right). That's why Foss stands by it and why Brooks merely says "it's inaccurate" instead of giving the correct picture.

Just my guess.

I suspect that Brooks actually said something very similar to the quote to J.P. Parise. Foss got ahold of that secondhand and printed what was told him as a quote (though the exact wording might not have been right).

Jim, I sincerely doubt that Foss would have reported a secondhand comment from Brooks. There's no faster way for a journalist to lose credibility with his readers. Foss has been around long enough to know that.

I had a very hard time believing the quote when I first read it. It comes as no surprise that Brooks would claim it inaccurate, given the stir that was caused. What's even more amazing is that Craig Dahl emerges as the voice of reason in the whole deal. :D

Funny how Reusse gets such a kick out of tweaking the Gopher elite. I also heard him on KSTP this morning and he absolutely loved the controversy. Definitely stirred the coals with his "The Quote" article in Saturday's S'Trib. This goes along with his article the day of the Gopher-Blackbear NCAA final game which basically stated that the Goph's will win because "even an 800-pound gorilla can stumble into a National Championship from time to time". Why such little respect from a home-town columnist? Perhaps because of the existence of Sid-- who sees everything through Maroon colored glasses.

Maybe Virg is our Sid? Recall the game recap from the Sioux-Gopher series last spring when Virg wrote the Goph's scored "after hooking and tripping Sioux players off the puck". No bias there.

Lots of unnecessary pain and agony in Gooferville over this. The kid is only 18. Just let him play hockey. I fear all of the media focus when the Sioux come to Mariucci later this season.

taz