SiouxSports.com Forum

Herb Brooks' quote

U2Bad1

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim, I sincerely doubt that Foss would have reported a secondhand comment from Brooks. There's no faster way for a journalist to lose credibility with his readers. Foss has been around long enough to know that.

Well, J.P. Parise flat out denies that Brooks ever talked to Zach and Brooks denies the quote. That pretty much means that the only other option is that J.P. and Brooks are lying to save face. I find my original scenario a bit more likely -- Foss thought he was quoting Brooks but was either liberal with the quotation marks after an actual interview with Brooks, or was getting the quote from someone else (a Parise, or other Sioux, perhaps?) such that it was not an exactly correct quote.

I could very well be very wrong and am certainly not trying to impugn anyone's reputation. Rather, I'm wildly speculating as to the possible causes of how a quote could appear that has now been denied by Brooks from a conversation that J.P. stated never existed.

Golly, this topic is tired.

Reusse respects Blais. I've heard him refer to Blais as "the best coach in college hockey. No... the best coach in hockey, period." I paraphrased that, so I hope Reusse doesn't come after me. This might fit with a view he may hold that it is a miracle that UND can compete with MN, given MN's recruiting and resource advantages.

I completely agree with jk on this: It's really gone overboard. I knew when it was originally published it was going to cause a lot of angst in verminville. Hammy on the USCHO board is about to throw a rod, he's getting so worked up about it. He must really be worried the Sioux might be for real this year. No doubt in his mind it's far too soon. :D

Well, J.P. Parise flat out denies that Brooks ever talked to Zach and Brooks denies the quote. That pretty much means that the only other option is that J.P. and Brooks are lying to save face.

I'm not saying J.P. Parise is wrong. In fact, I'm sure he's right. After all, he should know.

But for the purpose of determining what Brooks said to Foss, it's totally irrelevant because J.P. wasn't there. Just because Brooks didn't really talk to Zach about going to UND doesn't preclude him from saying that he did.

I can see a number of possible scenarios:

A) Brooks intended his comment as a joke, but Foss took it seriously.

B) Brooks was shooting off his mouth, bragging and trying to claim more credit than he was due, not expecting to see himself quoted in a newspaper. Oops.

C) Foss misinterpreted or misunderstood what Brooks said or meant.

D) The quote was 100 percent accurate and Brooks, now seeing the damage, is backpedaling like crazy.

I certainly don't know Foss well enough to say that your scenario is out of the realm of possibility. However, in my experience, it is extremely unlikely that an experienced journalist would use information he received secondhand as a direct quote. You just don't do that because it only leads to trouble and makes you look stupid when the truth comes out. It's never worth the risk.

A friend of mine who lives in Gopherville just sent me this.

There was some more stuff about the Herb Brooks controversy on the radio this morning.  It was kinda odd.  The sports reporter asked Brooks about the quote, and Herb said he was misquoted by Virg Foss.  The reporter then asked Herb to state for the record that he was misquoted.  Herb said he would not agree to do this. What's going on here?  Is Herb lying, or is there another reason he would not go on record about this incident?

Hey dagies - props to you for all the good work you do over on the gopher board! I do enjoy reading their board as (right now) 3 of the first 6 topics are on Sioux/ZP ...... I can see why they dislike the UND board (say there is "nothing" on it) as right now this is the only thread dealing with the gophers - the rest of the threads on the first page deal with Marc Ranfranz, UAA, UW, Tim Skarperud, pretty dull reading if you're looking for "info" on the gophers ...... hmmm

kr - I read this board quite a bit, just don't post that often. You know, keep your friends near and your enemies closer. :angry:

It's a big story not so much because ZP chose UND (it's over, done, complete, good luck to him, glad he's in the WCHA and not at UW) but because one of the pillars of the MN progrem allegedly helped steer him to UND. If Ralph was allegedly telling players to go to MN it would surely lead to some discussion here, much like what's on the POI board now.

Greyeagle - good quote - didn't Sica use that on POI earlier this year!! :angry: Actually, yes I was being an @ss with that post last night - and it really only adds to each board, POI and Sioux board, to have the other "view" presented - it's just that, for example, DE started a whole thread about Blais throwing a stick (DE calls it a spear, but it is a stick, guess after watching Taffee play he automatically calls a stick a spear!! so couldn't resist, I'm JUST KIDDING) ....... anyways other then me I don't believe any UND posters complain about the POI board and/or the content over there, however, FHG and a few others take jabs at this Sioux board, probably just in fun, but it gets tiring reading that this board sucks...... I really thought that after UMIN won the title last year the gopher fans would simmer down a little in the dislike of UND ...... but in the end it's just a game, this is just the internet ...... I'm sure that if I met Happy we'd be best buds ........ Besides you're reasonable so it's no fun to "yap" at you!!

Herb Brooks bleeds Kelly Green and White!!!! :angry::p

Some of the '80 Olympic guys would dispute this claiming one must be human to actually bleed. ???

Tough stretch the past few weeks brings out the worst in fans. Couple that with frustration over the Brooks deal and there will be some complaining. For some reason people can't let go of the fact ZP didn't choose MN. I took a lot of heat on USCHO (especially from HE posters) when I said I was happy he chose a WCHA school so I could watch him play for (X number of) years. Same reason I enjoyed watching guys like Hrkas, Rienpriect, Drake, and others - I enjoy good hockey and it's good for the league.

Good luck against the red menace this weekend.

In reply to kr's post I just had to come on here and defend myself. I admit that I do rip on Sioux fans but I think thats only natural, we are rivals you know. And believe me it is all in good fun and meant to be humorous more then anything. I don't really think this board sucks either, pretty decent actually ( I personally don't rememeber ever ripping on this board but I may have and probably did). Alot of nice features on here. I hope you don't mind a Gopher fan posting on here but I had to come over and check it out, I know a lot of friendly UND fans that post on POI.

Anyways, here's to another great weekend of college hockey! :angry:

FHG - I'm sorry if I wrongly attributed a comment to you - I must be reading too much Virg Foss! ???:angry:

My main "anger" is that "I" think it's in bad taste to rip on another team's message board. Sal, the admx on this board, Randy May (CC right?), all put in a lot of time to give us forums to discuss our teams (and allow anyone who wishes to post) and when someone disses the other boards I get mad. It's one thing to say someone/a group of fan's opinions are "wrong/stupid/etc" but it's another thing to say "so and so's board sucks" because the fact that there is someone/a group willing to take the time to provide a forum should be appreciated by all regardless of team affiliation. :p

And I don't think anyone minds you posting here - it just gives us a chance to try to turn you from the darkside.

My main "anger" is that "I" think it's in bad taste to rip on another team's message board. Sal, the admx on this board, Randy May (CC right?), all put in a lot of time to give us forums to discuss our teams (and allow anyone who wishes to post) and when someone disses the other boards I get mad

I agree 100%. I appreciate the opportunity (on all boards) to give an opinion.

BTW - FHG probably did write that, he was just too drunk to remember. ???:angry:

No thats all right kr, no big deal. I don't think I mentioned anything bad about this board ever but like I said, it would not surprise me if I did. But if I did it was purely just to poke fun, nothing personl.I know what you are talking about with the board though, alot of us are proud of what we have with Prideonice.com and this board is of the same calibur. As far as turning me into a Sioux fan, I don't think so. At least we can all agree that we hate the SCCC Huskies and we love hockey! :angry:

I'm so damn easy......

I will state, for the record, I would be a Fighting Sioux fan long before I'd be a BADger or Jan Huskie fan. :angry: But for that to happen the University of MN would have to disappear into the night or move to Dallas, and that ain't gonna happen. ???

FHG - You got that helmet warmed up for the big homestand!