SiouxSports.com Forum

Bengals vs Hawks Sept 14, 2024

Nodak78

7 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If Jerry is so much better than Romfo and still cannot get on the field outside of a kneel down situation, why should any non-North Dakota athlete want to come here?

Or are reports of Jerry's greatness grossly exaggerated?

Agree 100%.. the coaches see what we see.. if they had some much better option he would be out there. 

I am totally baffled why they don’t give Jerry time when we have a big lead though.. seems like you should want to develop the backups. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Esoteric said:

How many different players got a chance to receive beneficial playing time in the second half of the game.

Well, I would say zero on defense since we decided to just play prevent defense for the last 35 minutes instead of mixing in personnel and continuing to attack.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dustin said:

For the people pleading for Jerry - first off, how you can know that Jerry is just flat out better?  And if he were, wouldn’t he be starting?  Or are our coaches so moronic that they have no idea what they’re doing?  Something just doesn’t add up.

it's all about the bicycle report from the worlds greatest crap slinger...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Well, I would say zero on defense since we decided to just play prevent defense for the last 35 minutes instead of mixing in personnel and continuing to attack.

Dang, I remember 55 years ago second/third tier and not getting a chance to play.  Made it harder to feel good about a big win.  Later when I coached, every player on the team got some playing time during the game.  

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

I like the idea of Jerry getting reps, too, but it’s not like Romfo doesn’t need the game experience. Maybe up big in the second halves of the next two games, we’ll all get to see our popular backup quarterback. 

I agree with this, since our defense let them score on 3 straight drives....I think they kept Romfo out there....plus he obviously needs reps and practice on some of his throws. And this is coming from a guy who wanted to see plenty of Jerry in 2nd half when we were up 38-7 at half.  

I hope there is still a chance the next two games where Jerry gets more than a kneel down snap. 

35 minutes ago, Esoteric said:

Dang, I remember 55 years ago second/third tier and not getting a chance to play.  Made it harder to feel good about a big win.  Later when I coached, every player on the team got some playing time during the game.  

I didn't mean they didn't play.....they didn't play meaningful snaps when the opportunity was there.

• Like 1

I want to see Jerry out there as much as the next guy. But everyone needs to chill out. He is still only in his second year with the program. He will have his time. In the meantime, let’s be happy Simon is getting much needed reps before conference play begins.  When he is playing in front of 19000 plus fans in the Fargodome in 3 weeks, it will prove to be worth it. 

The pass that was INT on the tunnel screen, wasn’t totally on him because of the quick timing of it, that pick the OC could also be blamed because earlier ISU blew that play up. 

I still feel Jerry will get his time either packaged in or if Simon gets dinged up, we are running more things through Simon and having him run more. Coaches would not do that if there is not a quality backup. SDSU has two JR QB’s on roster I believe and they did not leave last year. (SDSU’s success helps), if we make playoffs and make a deep run, Jerry and others will likely stay IMO especially if we have blowout games where he can get meaningful reps.

1 hour ago, shep said:

C'mon man, I know you need to be negative about something in a blow out game, but Romfo made some good passes that were downfield. 

when did being honest become negative.......

romfo is the worst QB at und in my lifetime......

some of these/those throws...come on man. 

20 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

maybe not his call?

It was: 

Fruechte said he also looked at leadership when picking his quarterback.

"We looked at the opportunity of being in front of the team and how you handle that," Fruechte said. "He does a great job communicating with our guys. He's not a loud person. He's quiet, not a rah-rah guy. He's an every-day guy who competes his butt off."

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/college/und-coaches-teammates-label-simon-romfo-as-tough-consistent-and-a-winner

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

It was: 

Fruechte said he also looked at leadership when picking his quarterback.

"We looked at the opportunity of being in front of the team and how you handle that," Fruechte said. "He does a great job communicating with our guys. He's not a loud person. He's quiet, not a rah-rah guy. He's an every-day guy who competes his butt off."

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/college/und-coaches-teammates-label-simon-romfo-as-tough-consistent-and-a-winner

we=bubbas call

12 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

we=bubbas call

Belquist seems to think it was the OC. 
There are other articles about Romfo being told by the OC hes the starter. Not hard. 

“He knows how to win, he knows how to control a game, and I think Coach Fruechte saw that and liked that,” Wide Receiver and Team Captain Bo Belquist said. “He played really well this fall camp. He controlled the ball, didn’t have too many turnovers, just played smart.”

https://www.valleynewslive.com/2024/08/26/langdon-areas-simon-romfo-ready-lead-und-offense/