SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 Season

undVBfan

Time to start thinking/talking about the upcoming season

Green/White scrimmage Saturday (8/17) @ 12 PM. Expect players to be switched around from team to team. Last year a few guys from the men's club team played. It'll be good to see them play again, but I wouldn't plan on taking anything from the match in terms of how they will do this year. 

Exhibition against Mankato State 8/24 @ 12 PM. I suspect this will be the first real look at the new team, at least the first set or two. It too might be something where everyone plays at some point.

• Upvote 1

It was what I thought it would be. Everyone played, teams were mixed up, so the coaches got lots of looks at everyone, but not a lot of take-aways for the rest us. At least not for me.

I did see some nice things. There were a few legit backrow attacks, which could help take the stress off of the outsides on a less than perfect pass. They set the outsides on 2 on freeballs a few times, maybe influenced by the beach option offense? I don't see any of the freshman making too much of an impact right now. Saw flashes of doing some nice things, but it's ALOT to go from high school to college and be able to compete right away. Maybe I'm wrong, which would be a good thing; (healthy) competition at all positions tends to improve performance.

Saturday will be a better indication of potential. I believe it is still just an exhibition, but I suspect both teams will be playing their starters, at least for the first couple of sets. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...