SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2024-25

cberkas

9 minutes ago, tnt said:

I'm guessing he sucked at that level and now wants to get an education.   

He’d probably have to sit out a hand full of games. 

After looking him up he put up decent numbers but not sure a D1 team outside the AHA would have taken him. 

Not confirmed, but there is chatter that Rhett Pitlick will be leaving the Gophers soon after 3 seasons with the team & turning pro. He tied for the lead in team-scoring last year. A little odd to be doing this in mid-August. Again, this is not confirmed.

35 minutes ago, .357 said:

Not confirmed, but there is chatter that Rhett Pitlick will be leaving the Gophers soon after 3 seasons with the team & turning pro. He tied for the lead in team-scoring last year. A little odd to be doing this in mid-August. Again, this is not confirmed.

#neverforget

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, .357 said:

That'd be a tough late season blow if it happens.  Gophers will be strong offensively with or without him, but that would definitely push them down a small notch.

Similar to the season when Jasper Weatherby went pro at the end of summer...he would have been such a beast if he returned for that senior season...you could really see him turn a corner the second half of his junior year here.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Godsmack said:

https://gazette.com/sports/springs-soundoff-ep-85-kris-mayotte/video_a2dc3b8c-a3a4-5d21-9f8e-ccbe74096a26.html

Late July podcast with Kris Mayotte and the Gazette Telegraph. Some interesting commentary about Noah Laba and the Rangers’ strong interest in him going pro. He’s going to be a force for CC this season.

Laba is so good.  One of those opposing players that are fun to watch (when he's not scoring against UND, of course).
Geez, how many overtime winners did he have last season?  Ridiculous.

So the Gophers are going to lose RP as he’s going to sign. That team loses a lot of scoring and had 2 graduate forwards play last season too, so you’re going to lose a lot of scoring + veteran leadership. 

I don’t see this Gopher team being that good next year to be honest. I couldn’t care less what freshie’s they bring in too. 

JS chose to stay and probably got a lot of money to do so for one more year, enjoy a vanilla season next year son!

Snuggerud returning for them is big, but he had a bit of a letdown season last year after he lost Cooley driving the offense for him. Moore will be better and portal pickup Wood will do well, but I agree that they lost a lot that might bring them down a notch. 

9 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Snuggerud returning for them is big, but he had a bit of a letdown season last year after he lost Cooley driving the offense for him. Moore will be better and portal pickup Wood will do well, but I agree that they lost a lot that might bring them down a notch. 

I think their goaltending is a bit of a question mark. 

14 hours ago, brianvf said:

That'd be a tough late season blow if it happens.  Gophers will be strong offensively with or without him, but that would definitely push them down a small notch.

Similar to the season when Jasper Weatherby went pro at the end of summer...he would have been such a beast if he returned for that senior season...you could really see him turn a corner the second half of his junior year here.

Weatherby signed after being offered a spot because of a strong development camp (which was delayed because of the pandemic). Pitlick is burning the team that drafted him. It stung to lose Weatherby but what Pitlick is doing is bad for the game.

24 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Weatherby signed after being offered a spot because of a strong development camp (which was delayed because of the pandemic). Pitlick is burning the team that drafted him. It stung to lose Weatherby but what Pitlick is doing is bad for the game.

I thought it was the team that drafted him that just decided not to sign him. That’s the internet chatter anyway. I saw something on Twitter/X this morning about that. Also saw somewhere that Motzko was aware of the situation, the kid graduated and wasn’t enrolled in summer classes, so you’d think he would have found a replacement a while ago, but who knows the thought process there. If not that’s just poor communication with players. 

2 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

WeatherBYE could have signed in April, but told the Sharks he was staying. Then he waits until the day before classes started and leaves. His true colors came out at the end. As much as I hate the Goofs, I hate it when this happens to any program.

18 hours ago, brianvf said:

Laba is so good.  One of those opposing players that are fun to watch (when he's not scoring against UND, of course).
Geez, how many overtime winners did he have last season?  Ridiculous.

At least one…at the Ralph. 

16 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

I thought it was the team that drafted him that just decided not to sign him. That’s the internet chatter anyway. I saw something on Twitter/X this morning about that. Also saw somewhere that Motzko was aware of the situation, the kid graduated and wasn’t enrolled in summer classes, so you’d think he would have found a replacement a while ago, but who knows the thought process there. If not that’s just poor communication with players. 

Good to know, figured if he's testing free agency it was of his own volition.

13 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

WeatherBYE could have signed in April, but told the Sharks he was staying. Then he waits until the day before classes started and leaves. His true colors came out at the end. As much as I hate the Goofs, I hate it when this happens to any program.

Don't get me wrong, what he did was a slap to the face of teammates and fans, but anytime a player goes the Wheeler/Vesey/etc. route it is bad for everyone in the game but that player.

• Upvote 1

NIL $ and the CHL lawsuit (potential NCAA eligibility of CHL players) will definitely impact what we see here.  The CBA will have to be re-negotiated in terms of RFA rules for drafted players.  NIL $ could potentially make the entry level deal less appealing for bubble NHLers...so much moving now in college hockey.  

My proposal would be to make CHL players eligible for NCAA, have their draft free agent rights be the same as NCAA.  Leverage this new glut of talented players to expand college hockey...picking up guys aging out of the CHL would allow for start-up programs to be more competitive right away.  No barrier to stop say the University of Washington or University of Illinois or Northwestern from starting a program up.   From a player perspective it also gives more options to the kids.  The draw back is it will hurt the Tier 2 junior leagues, especially up in Canada.  If college eligibility remains playing in the WHL, why would you play in the BCHL or the AJHL if you are a top talent.

Add the USHL to the CHL as a 4th Tier 1 league...same rules...they just get to play for the mem cup now...

More Blue Chippas and more teams eligible for college sounds pretty good to me.  

• Upvote 1

Is it possible that the CHL lawsuit could also result in players initially going that route (CHL), who would have played NCAA hockey, when they would still have the option to play NCAA hockey if they so desire?

I can't see a player that is currently choosing to go the CHL route go the NCAA route because of the change, but I can definitely see the reverse happening.  For players that are aging out, or not working out in the CHL it's a different story.

Yes, in scenario 1, if you like the coaching staff, organizational fit etc with the major junior team that holds your rights vs say the USHL team that holds your rights, but you aspire to play NCAA hockey, you would be able to go to the CHL and matriculate to college and play NCAA.  Another example might be a kid going CHL as a blue chippa thinking they will be a first rounder, but then having an injury plagued or poor draft year...gives them a fallback.  

A blue chippa 16 year old from Canada could now in theory play 2 years in the CHL and then go on and play NCAA.  

From a player perspective this creates more options and doesn't force a choice at 16 years old.  

There is another element that would need to be considered as well, and that is the CHL scholarship money...if you played in the CHL enough to get 3 years of school paid for AND you get a scholarship to play NCAA what happens to that scholarship money...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, yzerman19 said:

Yes, in scenario 1, if you like the coaching staff, organizational fit etc with the major junior team that holds your rights vs say the USHL team that holds your rights, but you aspire to play NCAA hockey, you would be able to go to the CHL and matriculate to college and play NCAA.  Another example might be a kid going CHL as a blue chippa thinking they will be a first rounder, but then having an injury plagued or poor draft year...gives them a fallback.  

A blue chippa 16 year old from Canada could now in theory play 2 years in the CHL and then go on and play NCAA.  

From a player perspective this creates more options and doesn't force a choice at 16 years old.  

There is another element that would need to be considered as well, and that is the CHL scholarship money...if you played in the CHL enough to get 3 years of school paid for AND you get a scholarship to play NCAA what happens to that scholarship money...

Great scenarios. And I 100% agree. College puck is going to get a ton better….and tougher to play in.

4 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

NIL $ and the CHL lawsuit (potential NCAA eligibility of CHL players) will definitely impact what we see here.  The CBA will have to be re-negotiated in terms of RFA rules for drafted players.  NIL $ could potentially make the entry level deal less appealing for bubble NHLers...so much moving now in college hockey.  

My proposal would be to make CHL players eligible for NCAA, have their draft free agent rights be the same as NCAA.  Leverage this new glut of talented players to expand college hockey...picking up guys aging out of the CHL would allow for start-up programs to be more competitive right away.  No barrier to stop say the University of Washington or University of Illinois or Northwestern from starting a program up.   From a player perspective it also gives more options to the kids.  The draw back is it will hurt the Tier 2 junior leagues, especially up in Canada.  If college eligibility remains playing in the WHL, why would you play in the BCHL or the AJHL if you are a top talent.

Add the USHL to the CHL as a 4th Tier 1 league...same rules...they just get to play for the mem cup now...

More Blue Chippas and more teams eligible for college sounds pretty good to me.  

I was just chatting with a ushl coach who said same thing. Mentioned the ushl should fold into the CHL umbrella. One issue is that the CHL teams typically have more resources (ie $) other than the steel. Also, NHL provides funding to CHL too so the ushl would be able to get that too.