SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. Gophs

WPoS

Sorry... :lol: Here you go!

UND wins one for Bina

By Bryan Engleson, The Forum

Published Sunday, March 20, 2005

ST. PAUL - The University of North Dakota men's hockey team was playing for more than third place Saturday afternoon at the WCHA Final Five.

The Sioux were playing for a friend and teammate: sophomore defenseman Robbie Bina, who suffered a neck injury in Friday's semifinal game.

Motivated by the absence of Bina, the Sioux defeated Minnesota 4-2 at Xcel Energy Center.

"We were playing for Robbie," said Sioux forward Rastislav Spirko, who along with teammates visited Bina at Regions Hospital in St Paul before Saturday's game. "This win is for him."

"It makes you push a little harder when your legs are running dry," said Sioux captain Matt Greene, who scored the eventual game-winning goal.

RELATED CONTENT

Spriko sparked the sioux midway through the second period, scoring a short-handed goal to tie the game at 2-2.

"I think the short-handed goal changed the momentum of the game," Minnesota coach Don Lucia said.

That momentum continued in the third period, with Greene putting the Sioux ahead 3-2 just 3:03 into the period.

"I'm proud of the way our team got a little bit better in the third period and found a way to win," Sioux coach Dave Hakstol said.

UND looked sluggish early in the game as Minnesota held an 11-3 shot-on-goal advantage during the first period, although the Sioux managed to escape the period tied 1-1.

UND took a 1-0 lead at 9:23 of the first period when Quinn Fylling scored on a shot off Minnesota goaltender Kellen Briggs' shoulder.

The Gophers didn't trail for long, tying the game a minute later when Fargo's Danny Irmen beat UND goaltender Jordan Parise off a pass from Ryan Potulny.

The Gophers took a 2-1 lead at 6:04 of the second period when Mike Howe scored on the power play.

Both UND and Minnesota are seeking at-large bids into the NCAA tournament, which begins next Friday.

The NCAA tournament selection show is 10:30 a.m. today on ESPN2.

FIRST PERIOD: 1, UND, Fylling (Foyt), 9:23. 2, UM, Irmen (Potulny, Howe) 10:30.

SECOND PERIOD: 3, UM, Howe (Gordon, Harrington) 6:06 (pp). 4, UND, Spirko (Fylling) 10:53 (sh).

THIRD PERIOD: 5, UND, Greene (Marvin, Stafford) 3:03. 6, UND, Fuher 18:12 (pp).

SAVES: UND, Parise 10-10-5-25. UM, Briggs 2-6-10-18.

Photo caption: UND goalie Jordan Parise stops a Minnesota Gophers shot during Saturday

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to thank the Don for starting that Sieve today. Briggs plain and simply sucks. Also, I think UND is a better team than UofM, just had bad luck this season and is finally peaking at the right time. I wish UND could have gotten a seed in the Minnesota regional. I don't fear the UofM hockey team at all. I think UND could finally beat DU if they were to play in the NCAA playoffs. I thought UND was the better team than DU when they played Friday, but UND was more tired because they had played Thursday night.

DU is a big slow skating team and is going to have trouble if they have a ref from the CCHA or the AHA, those two leagues call everything. DU hooks, hold and slashs their way up and down the ice, they are like a bunch of thugs. Lastly, DU has to be one of the dirtiest teams I have seen in college hockey in a long time. Its starts with the coach and I don't expect much from a team that is run by a former BADger. I hate them more than the BADgers and Gophers. I hope someone closes their mouth in the playoffs this year, they are a classless organization.

I just have one thing to say - How sweet was that goal by Spirko? Reminded me of Bo/Ballard last year....

Anyone happen to see Donny Lucy's comments in the STRIB this morning? What a clown aZZ. Instead of giving credit where due.....downplays the game and it's importance heading into the playoffs. Also noticed Briggs mentioned "some" gave it their all in the game...I read into that possibly some internal discontent in the lockeroom ..Pile on the Hirsch situation and you might be looking at an early exit...

I just have one thing to say - How sweet was that goal by Spirko? Reminded me of Bo/Ballard last year....

Anyone happen to see Donny Lucy's comments in the STRIB this morning? What a clown aZZ. Instead of giving credit where due.....downplays the game and it's importance heading into the playoffs. Also noticed Briggs mentioned "some" gave it their all in the game...I read into that possibly some internal discontent in the lockeroom ..Pile on the Hirsch situation and you might be looking at an early exit...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Imagine if Lucy decided to speak the truth. I can imagine that he would have to say his D is banged up, his goaltenders are sieves and his leading scorer is in the funny farm. It sure wouldn't instill any confidence in the Gopher faithful would it? :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Super goal, reminded me of Bo-Ballard also. Nice to end up winning this time, however.

Guess the downplaying the game goes with the Lucia style, downplay the early season when it's not going well (nothing is important until March), downplay the second half when it's not going well (it's not important until the playoffs start), and downplay the WCHA tourney when you lose 2 (we weren't trying anyway). Guess the important game is next week. Hard to turn it on when it gets to one and done, if you haven't done it before that.

Super goal, reminded me of Bo-Ballard also. Nice to end up winning this time, however.

Guess the downplaying the game goes with the Lucia style, downplay the early season when it's not going well (nothing is important until March), downplay the second half when it's not going well (it's not important until the playoffs start), and downplay the WCHA tourney when you lose 2 (we weren't trying anyway). Guess the important game is next week. Hard to turn it on when it gets to one and done, if you haven't done it before that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lucia can't win with you all. Friday on AM radio he was heeping praise on the Sioux stating that with their physical game and goaltending they are one of the few WCHA teams that had a real chance to win the tourney coming from the play in game.

He certainly could have praised the Sioux for their effort, but honestly how often have the Gophers received praise from a Sioux coaching after a victory?

Lucia can't win with you all. Friday on AM radio he was heeping praise on the Sioux stating that with their physical game and goaltending they are one of the few WCHA teams that had a real chance to win the tourney coming from the play in game.

He certainly could have praised the Sioux for their effort, but honestly how often have the Gophers received praise from a Sioux coaching after a victory?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

YOu are, of course, right, there is little love lost between the two teams and their fans.

If the Gophs can get by Maine we could certainly be settling this in Columbus. :lol:

Maybe the fans could all share a charter? ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are certain UND fans that feel other UND fans nitpick everything. Some UND fans agree with you and don't care if Lucia didn't give congrats to the other team, but those people usually don't post those comments.

Lucia can't win with you all.  Friday on AM radio he was heeping praise on the Sioux stating that with their physical game and goaltending they are one of the few WCHA teams that had a real chance to win the tourney coming from the play in game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As it turns out, Lucia was right. The game meant nothing in terms of seeding in the big dance.

Prior to the game, I also thought it was meaningless and would rather have not had it played. However, this is from a fan's narrow perspective. I think the guys on the ice see it as yet another chance to calibrate themselves against the best in college hockey. Although, UND has maybe more to prove to itself than the Gophs. I think yesterday's win was a good one for a team as beaten up as the Sioux are. This team is impressing the heII out of me.

The tougher loss for da U was against CC. The lack of offense has to be eating away at them. Couple that with some shakiness in net and things get a bit spooky for the Gophs next weekend. You just don't want to be entering the tourney with any doubt, and there has got to be some of that in Goldy's mind today. If they come out and stomp on Maine, then I would say they are good-to-go for the Frozen Four. But, if not...

taz digs da Sioux

I find it interesting all the comments on here about the officiating, yet no one mentioned the obvious spear dished out by Harrington on Stafford with 26 seconds left in the game.  Stafford took a shot from the slot that deflected off of Harrington's stick, hitting him just under the mask, and Harrington immediately jabbed his stick into Stafford's gut.  All while Anderson was standing about 4 feet from the two of them.  Honest to goodness, it was 4-2, the game had been decided, call the da** penalty.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw it too. These referees.....if you want to call them that are truly the most incompetent set of officials I have witnessed. Seriously, do these gusy even know the rules? On a much lighter note what a tremendous effort by the Sioux. If not for a total clueless and incompetent referee the Sioux would have been playing for Broadmoor (sp?) trophy. The Sioux left everything on the ice. What a weekend. They gave everything they had and more. I cannot explain how proud I am to be a Sioux fan. And what a job done by coach Hakstol, coach Berry and coach Eades. To keep the guys focussed on the game after the crime was committed first by Paukovich, then Adam and then by Gwozdecky for not benching him, was truly remarkable. The biggest story of the weekend was about the Sioux and what they had to endure and overcome due to the fact of truly classless losers officiating the game and the media who did not focus more on the Sioux and the physical and emotional rollercoaster they were going through. What a weekend to be proud of these fine young men. FANTASTIC JOB!!!!!

GO SIOUX!

this was probably already addressed, but I went back to the tape and watched the first shift where Goligoski hurt his wrist...He went to get the puck behind the Gofer net and was checked by a Sioux player into the boards (nothing spectacular about the hit, looked like any run of the mill hit) and came away holding his wrist...it looked like it got caught between himself and the boards and must have hit it just right...Unfortunate play for him but just wanted to say that it definitely wasn't the result of a dirty play...