SiouxSports.com Forum

2026 Destination game

Siouxperfan7

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

San Diego has a nearly 13k arena close to the airport and relatively close to Hotel del Coronado, which is a bucket list hotel. Hopefully this sells out quickly and demonstrates that the sweet spot is a little larger than they are aiming for here.

Palm Springs has a nice new arena as well with 10k seats. They also just opened the first surf park in the western US.

Florida is littered with arenas in the size range too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_indoor_arenas_in_the_United_States

I've thought of the locations you listed.  Vacation destinations are important.  Flying into Austin for a game is about as appealing to me as flying into Cleveland.  

Florida would be a good option as well, for larger venues.  Perhaps Orlando where the Solar Bears play or Tampa, for NHL size arenas.  Savanah also has a nice new arena that seats about 9.5K.

I've thought a location like Sioux Falls could work, for fans in the region but not necesserilly near Grand Forks.  This would be for an "off" year, like next year when they play Providence.  Similar arena size.  Fans wouldn't need to fly, and could draw from the Twin Cities, GF, and Sioux Falls itself.  

2 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

San Diego has a nearly 13k arena close to the airport and relatively close to Hotel del Coronado, which is a bucket list hotel. Hopefully this sells out quickly and demonstrates that the sweet spot is a little larger than they are aiming for here.

Palm Springs has a nice new arena as well with 10k seats. They also just opened the first surf park in the western US.

Florida is littered with arenas in the size range too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_indoor_arenas_in_the_United_States

That's where my wife and I went for our honeymoon.  Actually we stayed across the street at Glorietta Bay Inn.  Would go back.  Absolutely loved it there.

20 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I've thought of the locations you listed.  Vacation destinations are important.  Flying into Austin for a game is about as appealing to me as flying into Cleveland.  

Florida would be a good option as well, for larger venues.  Perhaps Orlando where the Solar Bears play or Tampa, for NHL size arenas.  Savanah also has a nice new arena that seats about 9.5K.

I've thought a location like Sioux Falls could work, for fans in the region but not necesserilly near Grand Forks.  This would be for an "off" year, like next year when they play Providence.  Similar arena size.  Fans wouldn't need to fly, and could draw from the Twin Cities, GF, and Sioux Falls itself.  

A few more good vacation spots with viable arenas: Charlotte, Jacksonville, suburban Atlanta (based on this being Cedar Park, it's not far fetched). It'll be interesting to see if it lines up with a Texas football game in Austin. All of these places have that same possibility with NFL games.

3 hours ago, tnt said:

Keeping a demand.   With the last two games there were empty seats and I think it would have been better for some to just hold off on purchasing tickets from those who ordered too many and they could probably have better seats as well.  I know I considered just waiting to purchase seats from those who overbought, but with the smaller arena that might be risky.   Hopefully we would have already had a destination game earlier in 2026, if they could manage to make the Frozen Four in Las Vegas at TMobile.

There were empty seats in Nashville and Vegas but there was 13,000 and 15,000 in attendance. Plenty to pay the bill. Orleans Arena was a sellout but only 7,500ish seats and it was against the goofs. From what I read about Austin - mainly distance from the arena to the pregame spots - it might be a challenge to get butts in the seats.