SiouxSports.com Forum

Minnesota State High School Hockey Championship

siouxnami

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moorheads main problem last night is that they tried to do way too much, when they could have dumped the puck in they tried to skate it through 3 guys. The shakey goaltending doesnt help. Its a whole different game if that goal doesnt get disallowed cause if i remember right that was at like 3 min left lots of time for that team. Vandevelde was the best player in either A or AA tournys he really stepped up his game.

I think Duluth East ultimately cost Moorhead the title, as their pathetic effort last night was probably responsible for Moorhead sleep-walking through the first half of this game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think DE's effort was pathetic...they did spend a lot of the night chasing a quicker and more skilled Moorhead team, but their goaltender kept them in it, and gave them a chance. They came back and made it 2-1 mid-third period.

I can't believe the cockiness of the MH fans, chanting "Scoreboard" for a 2-1 score. I was a student at St. Louis Park High in 1998 when they met Benilde in the section 5A final, and jumped out to a 4-0 lead early in the first. When Benilde scored and made it 4-1...there was a "scoreboard" chant. When they made it 4-2, a few started the chant again, and were promptly told to "shut up" by me and several other knowlegable hockey fans. By the time it was 5-4 Benilde, there was silence in the student section as they realized just how easily leads like that evaporate. Park ended up winning 8-5 in one of the wildest seesaw battles I have ever seen (Benilde was led by a young Troy Riddle). The point is that a one goal lead is hardly safe enough to get cocky about...even if you are a vastly superior team as Moorhead obviously was.

Good night, how could you possibly miss that call?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Disclaimer: I have a pro-Spuds bias, I was at the game, and I've seen the video.

The photo doesn't tell the whole story. Johnson actually took a swipe at the puck starting with his stick over his head! It is doubtful that Johnson actually ever touched the puck at all. If he did, it was well below the crossbar when he made contact. Still, I can see how the ref interpreted the play otherwise.

I really feel bad for the Moorhead players. They carried the weight of their entire school and town as well as the ghosts of past Spuds teams into that championship game. They came out very tight. The first period was one of their worst of the season. After that the Spuds played like champs, but Holy Angels was very opportunistic and very fast.

They are high school refs. By comparison, DI refs look good. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

those two "refs" are both from east grand forks. J.B Olson and Buzz Olson. I played hockey in east grand forks all growing up, and these two ref'd many of my games and i have never liked either one of them. They are two hacks which i was amazed to see refing the AA championship game in the state of hockey.