SiouxSports.com Forum

Minnesota State High School Hockey Championship

siouxnami

Wow, 6-1 ? I turned it on with about 5 to go and some Warroad kid was laying by the boards, apparent leg injury, and the score at that point was 3-1. I did see Marvins' second goal to make it 4-1 on a nice, fundamental, crash the net and look for a rebound goal. Going down Friday morning to the cities, should be a fun weekend of hockey.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Marvin really stood out when they played MHD. He is a very big sophomore, that plays very smart.

I'm still ticked they moved the State tourny up a week :blush: It was impossible for me to make it down there to see my cousin play. Plus MHD plays at 2 tomorrow, so I will not be able to even watch it live on tv :D

Already a surprise in the tourny - St. Thomas smoked Virginia 8-2. I was hoping to see Virginia play - I wanted to see that Niskanen (SP) play.

Moorhead faces what is supposed to be one of the best goalies in the state tomorrow, things may not be as easy as they appear. I predict a 4-0 MHD win, then a 3-2 win over WBL and finally MHD wins their 1st championship with a 5-1 win over Holy Angles.

On the A side - Warroad beats Duluth Marshall in the finals.

Is Oshie coming in next year (2005-2006)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As it currently stands he would come for 2006-2007. Of course that is subject to change should any early departures occur. He is a good A level player but a year in Juniors would be nice. Warroad doesn't play many competitive games.

As it currently stands he would come for 2006-2007. Of course that is subject to change should any early departures occur. He is a good A level player but a year in Juniors would be nice. Warroad doesn't play many competitive games.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excuse me, Warroad does not play many competitive games? Try Moorhead, Roseau, Duluth Marshall, Coleraine, Benilde St.Margaret, Orono. Look at Section 8 TRF, Baudette and East Side all held rankings throughout the year. Warroad played 8, AA opponents not losing once and had two ties. Get your facts straight next time you mention Warroad isn't for real!! :blush:

maybe i am blind but i do not see where siouxnami says that warroad is not for real. he was simply stating that a year of juniors would do him good like the majority of players that come to college. playing against other incoming college recruits will make him even better but if not the sioux nation will accept him with open arms whenever he puts on the green and white :D go warroad!!!

Excuse me, Warroad does not play many competitive games? Try Moorhead, Roseau, Duluth Marshall, Coleraine, Benilde St.Margaret, Orono. Look at Section 8 TRF, Baudette and East Side all held rankings throughout the year. Warroad played 8, AA opponents not losing once and had two ties. Get your facts straight next time you mention Warroad isn't for real!! :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

St Thomas walks all over Virginia in the first game, 8-2.  Niskanen (UMD) scores one of the two Virginia goals.  An 8th grader, Schroeder, for St Thomas gets 4 points (2g, 2a).

Up next is Warroad vs Albert Lea.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That kid is pretty good, one of his goals was the play of the game. Great puck control and he buried his own rebound. I mean, when I was 13/14 I was smoking crack, so I'm pretty impressed.

Excuse me, Warroad does not play many competitive games? Try Moorhead, Roseau, Duluth Marshall, Coleraine, Benilde St.Margaret, Orono. Look at Section 8 TRF, Baudette and East Side all held rankings throughout the year. Warroad played 8, AA opponents not losing once and had two ties. Get your facts straight next time you mention Warroad isn't for real!! :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Clearly I hit a nerve... Get over it, take your blood pressure medication, I stand with the statement. :blush:

First, maybe your English ain't not tu good, but where did I ever say Warroad was not for real? I mearly said that Oshie has not played many games aginst talent on par with his own (i.e. competition). You need to play tough competition to get better. At Warroad he has not played many tough games. He will be a good player, but a year in the USHL would help as he can develop his skills aginst better competition. The numbers that he has put up at Warroad will mean nothing at the next level. I look forward to seeing Oshie in Kelly Green.

Here is Warroad's schedule and results. Note that there are only 6 games that have been decide by 3 goals or less. ONLY 6 COMPETITIVE GAMES!

http://www.warroad.k12.mn.us/moredocs/hockey

Of course Warroad is for real, they recruit well... ;):lol:

Clearly I hit a nerve... Get over it, take your blood pressure medication, I stand with the statement. :blush:

First, maybe your English ain't not tu good, but where did I ever say Warroad was not for real? I mearly said that Oshie has not played many games aginst talent on par with his own (i.e. competition). You need to play tough competition to get better. At Warroad he has not played many tough games. He will be a good player, but a year in the USHL would help as he can develop his skills aginst better competition. The numbers that he has put up at Warroad will mean nothing at the next level. I look forward to seeing Oshie in Kelly Green.

Here is Warroad's schedule and results. Note that there are only 6 games that have been decide by 3 goals or less. ONLY 6 COMPETITIVE GAMES!

http://www.warroad.k12.mn.us/moredocs/hockey

Of course Warroad is for real, they recruit well... ;):lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let me guess siouxnami...you are from southern MN were you think the only competitive hockey in the state comes from the Metro area. :0 Regardless of what you think is a competitive high school hockey schedule whether it is class A or AA, there is not one high school hockey player in the state ready to jump into a D1 program without benefiting from a year of growth in the juniors! ;)

Let me guess siouxnami...you are from southern MN were you think the only competitive hockey in the state comes from the Metro area. ;)  Regardless of what you think is a competitive high school hockey schedule whether it is class A or AA, there is not one high school hockey player in the state ready to jump into a D1 program without benefiting from a year of growth in the juniors!  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, since you guessed incorrectly, I am from Northern Minnesota. Da Range to be precise. Recall that I picked Moorhead and Warroad to win state. (Kelly Green glasses, maybe).

I am not critical of Warroad's schedule, but the reality is that they are so much better than most the teams they played. They haven't played many competitive games. This is not because they are bad, rather it is because they are very good. Warroad should probably do like Greenway and Roseau and play AA.

1:15 a.m. :lol:?

You really should go to sleep earlier, as you could become irritable... :blush:

Scores from Wednesday:

1A: Duluth Marshall 9, Little Falls 2

1A: St. Thomas Academy 8, Virginia/Mt. Iron-Buhl 2

1A: Warroad 6, Albert Lea 1

1A: Totino-Grace 5, Shakopee 2

Perhaps the only mild surprise was the score of the STA / VMIB game.

Scores from Wednesday:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Little Falls is coached by former UND fighting Sioux goaltender Tony Couture.

I also noticed there was a Hasbargen behind the bench for Little Falls.

Scores from Wednesday:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And the fact the best player on the STA team is an eight grader :blush: He played Peewee last year - I've never heard of a kid going from pee-wee to varsity HS -let alone lead the HS team in scoring. I'm making a point to see this kid play tomorrow.

And the fact the best player on the STA team is an eight grader :blush: He played Peewee last year - I've never heard of a kid going from pee-wee to varsity HS -let alone lead the HS team in scoring. I'm making a point to see this kid play tomorrow.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe they should start the press conferences now. His committment may end up bigger than Kessel's :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He is not very big and after his interviewed following the game, the fellas in the broadcast booth laughed at his squeaky, high-pitched voice, but he played a good game yesterday and scored a very nice goal on what was close to an end-to-end play.

Good game going here between WBL and Duluth East.  DE takes a penalty with a few min left in game, WBL pulls goalie for a 6x4 adv.

WBL can't capitalize though...

Game over.

DE wins 3-2.  First tight game of the tourney.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is just odd. WBL is absolutely cursed. I believe the led most of the game 2-1. Here is an article from the startribune.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/526/5270301.html

This was WBL's 17th appearance at the state tournament. ALL 17 times they lost their quarterfinal game. That is astonishing. The mathematical probability of this happening is 1 in 131072.

Wow, you have to have some pitty for that program.