SiouxSports.com Forum

Minnesota State High School Hockey Championship

siouxnami

Rochester's coach was my freshman science teacher at Fargo South :blush:

He ditched Fargo my sophomore year to take over in Rochester. Anyways, nice to hear Frutiger's name again, but he's not at Fargo South anymore so his name was with the team in the right location: the loser column :D

In any case, I watched the OT of the T-G vs. Duluth Marshall game and, after the game, the three commentators talked about the upcoming matchup between DE and Moorhead. Two of the three didn't say much but the guy in the center basically inferred that he expects Duluth to win. He said about Moorhead something like: Moorhead has a good defense and basically one line. and Moorhead prides itself on its defense. Something like that.

It's too bad that guy didn't realize that defense wins chapionships. I hope Deutz (or whomever is starting for Moorhead in goal) is ready for the game.

Moorhead isn't a one line team, sorry. But even if they were, if their defense is stifling and their defense can score as well, who cares?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thru 2 periods ...

I don't recall EVER seeing a team play airtight team defense as well as Mhd. DE has had 1 scoring chance so far (maybe 2). I can't recall an odd man rush for DE. This is not just having a couple great players, but everyone playing outstanding terrific position hockey.

Thru 2 periods ...

I don't recall EVER seeing a team play airtight team defense as well as Mhd.  DE has had 1 scoring chance so far (maybe 2).  I can't recall an odd man rush for DE. This is not just having a couple great players, but everyone playing outstanding terrific position hockey.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have been thinking the same thing. They are so solid defensively, it is almost scary.

Interesting notes about VandeVelde in this Trib article today

VandeVelde

Improved performance

Neither Moorhead coach Dave Morinville nor center Chris VandeVelde was pleased with how the senior played in the Spuds' 3-0 victory over Rochester Century on Thursday in the quarterfinals of the Class 2A tournament.

"He did some very dumb things yesterday," said Morinville, who had a conversation with VandeVelde after the game. "He really wanted to follow with a good performance. We fill out sheets, and he just put down, 'I want to have a good game today.' "

VandeVelde did just that. After not registering a point against Century, he had a goal, an assist and a game-high eight shots in the Spuds' 4-1 victory over Duluth East in the semifinals.

VandeVelde, who has committed to North Dakota, played part of the game in pain after getting speared by a Duluth East player in the chest area near the end of the second period. "I was having a hard time breathing, but I'm good now," he said.

OVERTIME.......championship

warroad 3

totino-grace 3

3rd period action

announcers say warroad scored but refs missed it. puck hit inside goal supposively. then oshie gets called for penalty...still 1-1

oshie out of penalty box....totino grace scores with 9:00 left...

warroad scores.............2-2.......6:56 left

warroad scores again.......3-2......6:48 left

totino-grace scores.......3-3.......2:42 left

OT.......8 MINUTES...

2ND OT..................17:00 2ND OT.........WIERD