SiouxSports.com Forum

Here comes the purple cows.

Wilbur

15 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Statistically, for the record,  UND has a slightly better power play percentage by a couple tenths or so lol. I looked up some national stats the other day to see if there was anything interesting. 

I.mean, we were 0-14 on the weekend. Now, I will say, you can definitely see there is a lack of chemistry that's just going to take some time. It will get better. I'm certain of that.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-blue-liners-questionable-for-weekend-dane-montgomery-moves-to-defense

Pehrson, Zmolek, and Komzak all with injuries...Montgomery is practicing at D in case he is needed.

Pehrson sustained an injury Friday against Minnesota and left the game in the third period. He did not play Saturday.

"He tried skating today here," Berry said. "We'll go through tomorrow, but I would probably say he's doubtful for the weekend. I don't think he's far away, but he's probably doubtful for the weekend."

Zmolek sustained an injury while blocking a shot Saturday against the Gophers. He attempted to return for a few shifts, but ultimately left the game for good midway through the second period.

"I think he has a chance," Berry said. "He's got a shot. We'll know more (Thursday)."

Komzak sustained an injury in practice, but has resumed skating. He's questionable.

As a freshman at UND, the Fighting Hawks were short on defensemen a few times due to injury.

Montgomery, who occasionally played on the back end in peewees and bantams while growing up in Grand Forks, was asked to change positions during practice. But UND never had to use him there during a game.

He's only played his natural position — forward — during his 16 games as a Fighting Hawk.

This week, Montgomery is, once again, skating as a defenseman in practice due to injuries on the back end.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, brianvf said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-blue-liners-questionable-for-weekend-dane-montgomery-moves-to-defense

Pehrson, Zmolek, and Komzak all with injuries...Montgomery is practicing at D in case he is needed.

Maybe we should carry an extra defenseman next year and offer Leo Gruba.  Either that, or wait for Eric Pohlkamp to hit the transfer portal. ;)

2 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Driving up for series tomorrow from MSP.  How’s that weather looking especially coming up 29 through Fargo?  I see there’s some sort of winter watch going on through early afternoon tomorrow.

We would choose to go N to 2 since it could be chancy driving 80 mph as usual on I29. Actually our experiences on I94 in iffy weather has been even riskier. Just an alternative 

• Upvote 2

Notes from Thurs practice...both Zmolek and Komzak skated today but will be game-time decisions for Friday:

UND's first power-play unit stayed out for an extended period of time working on running a variety of plays and getting chemistry down.

The power play unit went 0-for-10 last weekend and is 0-for-15 in the last three games. The top unit generated a number of Grade-A looks against Minnesota on Saturday, but couldn't finish.

No surprise, the power play has been an emphasis in practice this week.

It appears UND defensemen Bennett Zmolek and Tanner Komzak will be game-time decisions. Both skated in practice Thursday. UND will probably have to evaluate how healthy they are on Friday morning. Coach Brad Berry said Wednesday that defenseman Keaton Pehrson, who has skated, is doubtful.

Forward Dane Montgomery has continued to practice on defense.

Practice concluded with the weekly shootout competition. This week, the coaches were hot. Dane Jackson and Karl Goehring both scored. But ultimately, it was Jackson Blake who came away with his first victory of the season, using a different move for all three of his shootout goals.

On 10/23/2023 at 6:54 AM, SJHovey said:

A little bit of potential for a "trap" series here.  Coming off the emotion of two games against Minnesota, and right ahead of a weekend playing BU, everyone's preseason darling.

Hopefully Brad has the boys going hard and they come away with two wins.

A lot of home games so far this year, all games are overall very important, before the team faces opponents on their home ice.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-does-juggling-act-with-defensemen-due-to-injuries

UND still has injury questions on the back end.

Pehrson isn’t expected to play in Saturday's series finale.

Pyke also is dealing with an injury. Berry held him out for the final minutes Friday for precautionary reasons.

“I think he blocked a couple of shots there,” Berry said. “When it went to 6-2, I think we just said 'Hey, let’s save him a little bit and see if we can get some other guys out there.'”

Zmolek’s availability for Saturday’s game against his former team also is up in the air.

“He was real close,” Berry said. “He's been skating the last couple days. He was real close. Another 24 hours, we’ll see where it’s at. He's got a warrior mentality. If he could play, he would. I think he’s getting close. We’ll see tomorrow where it lies and see where everybody else is at.”