SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 ND High School Hockey

8 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Minot’s speed surprised me a bit. I saw them play here and didn’t notice it then. Nice to see a West team get one 

After the first period Minot did a better job getting to North's goalie.  North has relied heavily on their top line but those guys played too much.  They scored North's two goals but were at least out there for 3 against that I remember.

Seems like North making the state tournament had them taking a huge sigh of relief last Saturday, and they just didn't have the moxie today. 

Final Four:

South vs. Red River

Minot vs. Central 

10 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

After the first period Minot did a better job getting to North's goalie.  North has relied heavily on their top line but those guys played too much.  They scored North's two goals but were at least out there for 3 against that I remember.

Seems like North making the state tournament had them taking a huge sigh of relief last Saturday, and they just didn't have the moxie today. 

Final Four:

South vs. Red River

Minot vs. Central 

Will be shocked if it isn’t the 2 Grand Forks schools. Just hope they are both close competitive games 

9 hours ago, sioux rube said:

Will be shocked if it isn’t the 2 Grand Forks schools. Just hope they are both close competitive games 

Agreed. It seemed like North was the only team on the board that had a strong chance to derail one or both of the GF teams. Minot seems to be peaking at the right time but I still don't see them winning tonight. FSS has some firepower but their back end weaknesses will far surpass that. They've allowed 5 or more goals 7 times this season for a total of 85 goals allowed which is actually more than they've scored. 

All GF championship...

23 minutes ago, SiouxperDave said:

Is this the first time the #1 seed lost to the #8 seed? The last two opening round games for WFU have been memorable for the wrong reasons.

Good question. This was the year for it to happen. No dominant team in the state 

42 minutes ago, Brim006 said:

Agreed. It seemed like North was the only team on the board that had a strong chance to derail one or both of the GF teams. Minot seems to be peaking at the right time but I still don't see them winning tonight. FSS has some firepower but their back end weaknesses will far surpass that. They've allowed 5 or more goals 7 times this season for a total of 85 goals allowed which is actually more than they've scored. 

All GF championship...

Which isn’t the worst thing

kids in that town are born on skates and grow up around hockey

3 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Is attendance at state A basketball way higher than hockey every year or is that a recent thing?  Watching these games and even the state championships and there are a TON of empty seats

Which state a? Current state a will dominate hockey

oldnstate a about equal when hockey is in grand forks or hockey slightly more

the town of Fargo doesn’t embrace state hockey at all

Dickinson had more fans there then Fargo yesterday

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

Is attendance at state A basketball way higher than hockey every year or is that a recent thing?  Watching these games and even the state championships and there are a TON of empty seats

I'd say class B (or now Class B and 1A) seem to have the biggest crowds and Class 2A (old class A) seems to lack crowd size and always has comparing to Class B. But with that said, in hockey the "issue" is that it lacks variety. GFRR or GFC are the clear favorite 9 out of 10 times and until there's a little more of a mix I don't see the excitement and/or crowd size around state hockey getting much bigger. 

I recall being at the record setting attendance game when Grafton was in the championship. They opened up the upper deck at the ralph and had to start pulling down those huge team posters to open up more seats. Certainly aren't going to see that type of interest when it's GFC vs RR. Props to those schools for being so consistently strong year after year, but until there's a better mix of teams in the running for a championship, we just won't see bigger crowds. 

8 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

The Ralph is just bigger which makes it seem more empty

when a gf team is in the title game which every year it is minimum 4k

Look at student sections yesterday

rrhs was 1st

crntral 2nd followed by north id day

The boys tourney could be held in Minot 100% of the years.

You think GF has good attendance purely out of proximity but if those wheels had to turn more than an hour the student section would look exactly like Fargo Norths did last night.

Which was absolutely pathetic for being in town for them.

We shall see if it's a GF final but I think it's pure fantasy to think the scheels bowl will be over half full

• Upvote 1

Just now, Frozen4sioux said:

The boys tourney could be held in Minot 100% of the years.

You think GF has good attendance purely out of proximity but if those wheels had to turn more than an hour the student section would look exactly like Fargo Norths did last night.

Which was absolutely pathetic for being in town for them.

We shall see if it's a GF final but I think it's pure fantasy to think the scheels bowl will be over half full

It’s also about the student athlete expierence 

would you rather play in the best hockey rink in the nation (Ralph) or some !@#$ hole in minot

4 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

It’s also about the student athlete expierence 

would you rather play in the best hockey rink in the nation (Ralph) or some !@#$ hole in minot

Tell me you've never been to  Minot Maysa without... you know the rest

Ralph should host every year or every 2 out of 3 years, it is a better experience.

Rotate the 3rd year between Minot and scheels

IF fargo can figurenout the hotel management 

Not much of a student Thlete experience staying at some of the crack whore meth motels they are but up in

• Upvote 1

Just now, Frozen4sioux said:

Tell me you've never been to  Minot Maysa without... you know the rest

Ralph should host every year or every 2 out of 3 years, it is a better experience.

Rotate the 3rd year between Minot and scheels

IF fargo can figurenout the hotel management 

The ndhsaa gave minot basketball. Let them have that

hockey is more popular on east side of state. That’s a fact. 

basketball more popular on west side

deal with it. 

The Ralph is an awesome facility no one is denying that but when you get less than a half of the arena filled the atmosphere sucks.  Put that same crowd at Scheels and you have a great atmosphere.   The ice is pretty much the same.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

The Ralph is an awesome facility no one is denying that but when you get less than a half of the arena filled the atmosphere sucks.  Put that same crowd at Scheels and you have a great atmosphere.   The ice is pretty much the same.

Well why don’t we have football in gf? A fb crowd of 6k in Fargo dome pretty empty. Be better atmosphere in alerus

• Upvote 4