SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 ND High School Hockey

I think a RR-Central final this Saturday.  Red River got the wakeup call they needed from Devils Lake.  Skarperud wasn't happy but deep down he's happy they won and didn't play great.

North hasn't been at state in forever.  Would be big for them to get over the hump against Central.

• Upvote 2

Huge dick-punch to those that thought they were going to have their friends and family, and interested hockey fans watch the WDA tournament.                                                  

After securing the rights to the WDA tourney PSP Network has now announced they have suddenly switched to a subscription model.

No more games on YouTube to easily watch. (YouTube will provide only the audio)             

Now every person who wants to watch has to log in on a computer or mobile app only...   

@ $14.99 a day per user or $29.99 for the tourney......                                                                             

Remember that terrible NFHS Network option that we previously discussed...this is arguably worse.                                                                            
As it is about the same experience, albeit with announcers, but at triple the price tag.                                                                            

Just a damn shame all around                                                                          

• Downvote 3

29 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I think a RR-Central final this Saturday.  Red River got the wakeup call they needed from Devils Lake.  Skarperud wasn't happy but deep down he's happy they won and didn't play great.

North hasn't been at state in forever.  Would be big for them to get over the hump against Central.

As much as I don't want to see a 1-2 GF showing from the EDC, I think I'd prefer that this year to ensure better chances for the 1-2 seeds from the West at State. If say Legacy and Century are the 1-2, it might suck to have a 1st round game against a GF team...

With that said, I'll be rooting for North and Legacy from here on out. 

46 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

What did Skarperud have to say? I was surprised DL hung in there as well as they did especially since they were down one of their few solid forwards. SR Dayton Lunak broke his ankle in practice this week...

If I would have guessed DL was going to keep that game close, I would have guessed a low scoring game where the DL goalie Forsberg stood on his head, but this time it was from their depleted offense potting goals. So was it an overlooked game mixed with desperation effort from DL, or another sign of rare weakness from RR that we have seen flashes of this year?

11 minutes ago, Brim006 said:

What did Skarperud have to say? I was surprised DL hung in there as well as they did especially since they were down one of their few solid forwards. SR Dayton Lunak broke his ankle in practice this week...

If I would have guessed DL was going to keep that game close, I would have guessed a low scoring game where the DL goalie Forsberg stood on his head, but this time it was from their depleted offense potting goals. 

DL coughed up two shorties, or it could have been a lot more interesting.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Wilbur said:

Very unfortunate.  The costs to produce the tournament probably drove this.  Nick has done so much with the PSP network for high school athletics.  

He once told me the cost of what these networks (PSP, BEK, Your live event) have to pay the NDHSAA for these events and its a bleeping tragedy.  Yes, that's a direct shot from me at the NDHSAA.   

So much, and done such a good job.

NDHSAA purse is an absolute barrier for the best interests of the kids yet again.

But $30 (really any amount probably) is an absolute non starter for 99% of the casual extended family, or interested high school hockey fan in the region, let alone anyone maybe tuning in to check out a kid as a potential interest for their org.

I don't have all the answers for the best way to run these things. It is truly an web of crap with all the different options and production places, tiers of rights holders, owners, bidders.. fees/fines/etc

even finding people to want to do this is tough, especially at basketball tourney time.

Been an tough year for coverage of WDA hockey OUTSIDE of the great work being done by PSP..

Although BEK did a decent job of picking some games up, and the guy firing up the thing in Williston shows promise as well. 

Is what it is, I guess.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Very unfortunate.  The costs to produce the tournament probably drove this.  Nick has done so much with the PSP network for high school athletics.  

He once told me the cost of what these networks (PSP, BEK, Your live event) have to pay the NDHSAA for these events and its a bleeping tragedy.  Yes, that's a direct shot from me at the NDHSAA.   

Have a couple friends that work for PSP.

My opinion, if it isn't on network TV then PSP is providing a service and the cost should be zero for providing the service.

2 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Huge dick-punch to those that thought they were going to have their friends and family, and interested hockey fans watch the WDA tournament.                                                  

After securing the rights to the WDA tourney PSP Network has now announced they have suddenly switched to a subscription model.

No more games on YouTube to easily watch. (YouTube will provide only the audio)             

Now every person who wants to watch has to log in on a computer or mobile app only...   

@ $14.99 a day per user or $29.99 for the tourney......                                                                             

Remember that terrible NFHS Network option that we previously discussed...this is arguably worse.                                                                            
As it is about the same experience, albeit with announcers, but at triple the price tag.                                                                            

Just a damn shame all around                                                                          

Blame the ndhsaa. They are charging more for media rights to tourneys

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Brim006 said:

As much as I don't want to see a 1-2 GF showing from the EDC, I think I'd prefer that this year to ensure better chances for the 1-2 seeds from the West at State. If say Legacy and Century are the 1-2, it might suck to have a 1st round game against a GF team...

With that said, I'll be rooting for North and Legacy from here on out. 

Why don’t you want to see it?

36 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Why don’t you want to see it?

Because they dominate year after year and having new/different teams in the mix from time to time is good for the growth of hockey in the state IMO. 

Count me in the group who usually has the games on while sitting at my deck.   I won't be going through the process of logging into some app... to watch.  I'm curious to know how many people will actually go through that hassle.  The number of views is pretty small to begin with.

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

My opinion, if it isn't on network TV then PSP is providing a service and the cost should be zero for providing the service.

Amen.  Having to pay to stream class B girls district volleyball?  Or a 9 man football game?  A consolation hockey game from the state tournament?

• Upvote 3

Red River did hit the post 4 or 5 times last night. I don't think the game was as close as the score would indicate. With that being said, RR does have some goalie and defensive issues, as well as a lack of scoring depth. All five goals came from the top line. Combine all three of those and an upset somewhere down the road seems possible.

4 hours ago, petey23 said:

well yes agreed but it is a "bit" more complicated than that.

in the end I'd really like to know why NDHSAA is charging so damn much for the "rights"....... I suppose I could inquire there.

Is what it is for this year.

25 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

Red River did hit the post 4 or 5 times last night. I don't think the game was as close as the score would indicate. With that being said, RR does have some goalie and defensive issues, as well as a lack of scoring depth. All five goals came from the top line. Combine all three of those and an upset somewhere down the road seems possible.

They seem to have avoided letdown all year so sometimes it may come down to the fact, they're a dang well coached team that has enough mid tier depth to sustain and outlast. Lot of talented kids.

They may not have the top goalie or D but they're still pretty good.

Outpaced my expectations for sure.

The favorite now most definetly.

11 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

They seem to have avoided letdown all year so sometimes it may come down to the fact, they're a dang well coached team that has enough mid tier depth to sustain and outlast. Lot of talented kids.

They may not have the top goalie or D but they're still pretty good.

Outpaced my expectations for sure.

The favorite now most definetly.

Although it may not qualify as a "let down" I'd argue their embarrassing 2-8 loss to EGF exposed their rare weaknesses pretty clearly. That has to be one of the worst losses RR has been handed in many many years. 

• Upvote 2

On 2/12/2024 at 6:23 AM, Johnny Five said:

Besides saying "travel" am I the only one that finds it odd the WDA and EDC have different formats?  They do this in other sports as well.  Seems strange....  

Why don't they have similar monikers? Is there an actual difference between 'Association' and 'Conference' names and makeups?