SiouxSports.com Forum

Death of POI

dagies

I realize this probably belongs in the community section but I suggest more people will see it here so this is where I will post it. It can be moved if necessary.

The main gopher board, POI, apparently suspended operation today suddenly. The people who ran the board apparently decided they'd had enough and quit.

I've sometimes wondered what would happen if the people who run Sioux Sports ever decided that same? I believe this work is done through their own passion, with no recompense for their time and effort, all for our free enjoyment. What a hole in my fan experience it would leave. This is an outstanding board and while I haven't seen many other team boards out there, I believe it would be hard to top this one.

So....

STAND UP AND CHEER

for the people who put this out here for us every day.

Thanks very much.

Dan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize this probably belongs in the community section but I suggest more people will see it here so this is where I will post it.  It can be moved if necessary.

The main gopher board, POI, apparently suspended operation today suddenly.  The people who ran the board apparently decided they'd had enough and quit.

I've sometimes wondered what would happen if the people who run Sioux Sports ever decided that same?  I believe this work is done through their own passion, with no recompense for their time and effort, all for our free enjoyment.  What a hole in my fan experience it would leave.  This is an outstanding board and while I haven't seen many other team boards out there, I believe it would be hard to top this one.

So....

STAND UP AND CHEER

Thanks very much.

Dan

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I suppose that means we are going to have a bunch of Goofer fans over letchering us because we won't give the Goofers props. I am not going to...

I realize this probably belongs in the community section but I suggest more people will see it here so this is where I will post it.  It can be moved if necessary.

The main gopher board, POI, apparently suspended operation today suddenly.  The people who ran the board apparently decided they'd had enough and quit.

I've sometimes wondered what would happen if the people who run Sioux Sports ever decided that same?  I believe this work is done through their own passion, with no recompense for their time and effort, all for our free enjoyment.  What a hole in my fan experience it would leave.  This is an outstanding board and while I haven't seen many other team boards out there, I believe it would be hard to top this one.

So....

STAND UP AND CHEER

Thanks very much.

Dan

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looks like the other Gopher Board mentioned www.gopherpucklive.com is down and can't handle the volumns. Too bad, now I'll never know where Kessel is going... :lol: Really though, this is sad as there are alot of good Gopher / Hockey fans that frequented that site.

On a related note.

Thank you to the care takers of this site. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

this site is great, poi was a great info site as well for the college hockey fan.

thanks for this site . i really appreciate it as a college hockey fan and SIOUX FAN

went to gopherpucklive.com as well and noticed a warning that the site may be folding as well if they do not fix some things..very tough to do if you are doing it on your own or with a couple of partners, time and effort wise...

http://www.gopherpucklive.com/

Glad to hear POI is done. Everytime I tried to comment on that site you'd be mocked and ridiculed just because you're not a Gofer fan. Maybe that says more about the fans then the site though. As a Sioux fan I'd be bummed if SS.com ever stopped. It's a great site to get information and links. I really appreciate the work you guys do.

Glad to hear POI is done.  Everytime I tried to comment on that site you'd be mocked and ridiculed just because you're not a Gofer fan.  Maybe that says more about the fans then the site though.  As a Sioux fan I'd be bummed if SS.com ever stopped.  It's a great site to get information and links.  I really appreciate the work you guys do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And that never happens on this site :lol:

I suspect that we will see more traffic on this site from POIers looking for a hockey fix, especially if that other site doesn't pan out. Perhaps it might be a good outlet, because if Hammy isn't allowed to spew his venom, the consequences for the average person on the street is kind of scary. Without that outlet the frustration has got to be released somehow.

went to gopherpucklive.com as well and noticed a warning that the site may be folding as well if they do not fix some things..very tough to do if you are doing it on your own or with a couple of partners, time and effort wise...

My site is going not going to disapear. I think I know what the problem is on my site.... I think I just have a MOD that is causing too many database queries in a certain amount of time causing my provider to clamp down on my site. If it keeps causing problems, I will just remove the MOD.

I generally enjoyed POI, and dealing the Minnesota faithful there. It's like being in somebody else's house, if you mind your manners, you can have a pretty good time. However, there were/are a number ss.com posters who posted enough infantile crap on POI that I was often embarrassed for this board, and our program. Too bad some of these same clowns are still here. :lol:

I generally enjoyed POI, and dealing the Minnesota faithful there.  It's like being in somebody else's house, if you mind your manners, you can have a pretty good time.  However, there were/are a number ss.com posters who posted enough infantile crap on POI that I was often embarrassed for this board, and our program.  Too bad some of these same clowns are still here.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Every team has its 5% of fans that are losers . Most hard core fans of teams are college hockey fans in general .I have several friends that are UND fans we have alot of fun ripping on each others programs but when the Gophers won it all in 02 & 03 they were the first to call and offer congrats as i was with them when UND has won it.Both programs are the envy of most other college teams. Sure there was crap on POI just like any other board.but it offered a medium for conversation about our favorite sport so losing it hurts

POI was a great site. The icetime feature was absolutely unique to message boards and actually created many friendships off the 'net.

This is a fantastic site as well. JD has put in an incredible amount of work on this board and his PWR break downs, and "what if" are the absolute best available on the internet.

JD- I hope if you ever lose the passion for running the sight, you reach out to the ss.com community for help before shutting down.

POI was a great site.  The icetime feature was absolutely unique to message boards and actually created many friendships off the 'net.

This is a fantastic site as well.  JD has put in an incredible amount of work on this board and his PWR break downs, and "what if" are the absolute best available on the internet. 

JD- I hope if you ever lose the passion for running the sight, you reach out to the ss.com community for help before shutting down.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THis is a well run site and i will as Scott did at POI read and post with respect.

Good God! I didn't realize 'siouxsports' was run on a voluntary basis. I was assuming it was subsidized from the school or some commercial organization. It is too good.

Thanks to whoever does all the work and maintains the technology. If you need some donations, you should let us know.

I generally enjoyed POI, and dealing the Minnesota faithful there.  It's like being in somebody else's house, if you mind your manners, you can have a pretty good time.  However, there were/are a number ss.com posters who posted enough infantile crap on POI that I was often embarrassed for this board, and our program.  Too bad some of these same clowns are still here.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a guest in this fine house, I know exactly what you mean. :lol: This is diffently one of the better boards out there. Keep up the good work Jim. ???

Good God! I didn't realize 'siouxsports' was run on a voluntary basis.  I was assuming it was subsidized from the school or some commercial organization.  It is too good.

Thanks to whoever does all the work and maintains the technology.  If you need some donations, you should let us know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Quite Frankly - I would like to see a small percentage of my yearly Fighting Sioux Club membership monies redirected to support this site. Petition anyone?

Am I the only one that thought the title meant that the members of SiouxSports.com killed POI?  ???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are not alone.

The first thing I do everyday when I get home from work is check this board. When I go on vacation, I need to find a computer to check this board. Does that make me an addict? :lol:

Thanks to everyone for the hard work they put into running this board. And thanks to the posters for feeding my addiction. :lol: