SiouxSports.com Forum

Death of POI

dagies

My site was sort of secret for almost 2 years. I had just over 300 registered users. A large bulk of them registered when POI was down during the 2003 Frozen Four. Now there is over 420 users and it's rising fast. I don't think it's a secret anymore.

A few months ago I thought I was going to shut down. When FOX made me take down the highlight videos, I figured why keep it up and running? The videos were the main reason that anyone visited the site. Then the University got on my back for having logos that looked like their trademarks, even though I drew them by hand back in the 90's. After all of that I felt like giving up. I guess it's a good thing that I didn't do that.

I think it's good for the fan experience to have boards like these. POI was great for message boards but I thought from the get go the GPL site was a better site all around. Now gopher fandom can be concentrated into one location. Not all bad.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In any case, too bad it's gone, but respectable Gopher fans can still recieve insight on the game of hockey here and talk within reason and context about their team.

I mean, with UMN's recent skid, I thin we both have a lot in common now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Redwing,

It sounds like your a therapist offering/prescribing therapy sessions and group hugs. ;):0;)

Edited by Goon

Quite frankly, I will miss POI.  Anytime Woog is revered like a matinee idol, and with Hammy posting like he is the Stephen Hawking of college hockey, you have the makings for great, great humor. One of the greatest sources of amusement for me though was the anti-Sioux sentiment accompanied by the Sioux obsession. I never could reconcile those two, but it provided good entertainment.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am not sure anyone could put it any better than that. That about sums it up.

I'll offer up a tip of the cap to the guys that ran POI.  However, the last year or two it turned into a little private chat room for a dozen posters or so.  If you weren't in the circle and had the audacity to post anything other but duckies and bunnies content where the Goofs were concerned, you would get ignored, or a smarmy, arrogant little jab.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I were to guess this is one of the reasons POI disappeared, it would seem to me running a site successfully with a message board would take extreme diligence. As Sal & UPB's priorities in life evolved they just didn't appear to have time to monitor the site. I can't blame them for their decision and I would be willing to bet had Jup not had GPL in place they would not have pulled the trigger.