SiouxSports.com Forum

MN Free Tuition Bill

nodak651

• 1 month later...

As I understand the Bill in Minnesota it simply covers tuition and fees after other grants and scholarships have been counted toward the students bill.   They have budgeted roughly $117 million to set up the program and estimates it will cost nearly $50 million a year after that.  But, there is no guarantee after the two year window, the current legislature passed through numerous programs that will require a 20% increase in tax revenue in two years to cover all future programs.  My guess is that in two years many things will be cut. 

But, my point is that the cost difference between attending North Dakota schools versus attending Minnesota schools is not going to be great.  Because the largest discounts would be coming from Federal Programs which would apply to both schools.  In addition, this program is only applied to Tuition. 

The other silver lining is in the long run.  It's Minnesota, the Higher Education Public Service Union Complex will figure out a way to screw it all up and make things 10x worse in the long run.  That is what happens when you throw money at things in Minnesota.

I also wonder how much of this is North Dakota schools playing politics.

FULL DISCLOSURE:  Minnesota Tax Payer.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, FSSD said:

As I understand the Bill in Minnesota it simply covers tuition and fees after other grants and scholarships have been counted toward the students bill.   They have budgeted roughly $117 million to set up the program and estimates it will cost nearly $50 million a year after that.  But, there is no guarantee after the two year window, the current legislature passed through numerous programs that will require a 20% increase in tax revenue in two years to cover all future programs.  My guess is that in two years many things will be cut. 

But, my point is that the cost difference between attending North Dakota schools versus attending Minnesota schools is not going to be great.  Because the largest discounts would be coming from Federal Programs which would apply to both schools.  In addition, this program is only applied to Tuition. 

The other silver lining is in the long run.  It's Minnesota, the Higher Education Public Service Union Complex will figure out a way to screw it all up and make things 10x worse in the long run.  That is what happens when you throw money at things in Minnesota.

I also wonder how much of this is North Dakota schools playing politics.

FULL DISCLOSURE:  Minnesota Tax Payer.

To paraphrase Rahm Emanuel

"never let an opportunity to redistribute other people's income go to waste"

4 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

If you are Fargo and GF:  It might be a mild irritance but I don't think it will affect you too negatively.

If you are in Whapeton and Mayville:  PANIC!!!!!!

Yeah I am not too worried about NDSU or UND. Affordable schools close to home that are much more respected than St. Cloud, MSUM, and Mankato.

1 minute ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Yeah I am not too worried about NDSU or UND. Affordable schools close to home that are much more respected than St. Cloud, MSUM, and Mankato.

watch what u say about jan brady state.......roy saigo did wonders buidling that institution into the premier junior college in stearns county...earned every penny they gave him