SiouxSports.com Forum

Which sports should UND sponsor?

SIOUXFAN97

Still waiting for Fenton to "lock up" the Summit....time to drop baseball, cross country, golf, and or tennis?  For UND I would like the following sports....

For Men-9

Basketball

Soccer

Golf

Track & Field-Indoor

Track & Field-Outdoor

Lacrosse

Football

Hockey

Wrestling

For Women-10

Basketball

Soccer

Golf

Track & Field-Indoor

Track & Field-Outdoor

Lacrosse

Volleyball

Softball

Bowling

Field Hockey

• Upvote 1

For Summit League Men's Sports (9 and schools have to have minimum of 7 teams?)

Basketball

Soccer

Golf

Cross Country

TF-Outdoor

TF-Indoor

Lacrosse

Baseball

Wrestling

Women's Sports (11 and schools have to have a minimum of 8 teams?)

Basketball

Soccer

Golf

Cross Country

TF-Outdoor

TF-Indoor

Lacrosse

Softball

Volleyball

Bowling

Field Hockey

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Still waiting for Fenton to "lock up" the Summit....time to drop baseball, cross country, golf, and or tennis?  For UND I would like the following sports....

For Men-9

Basketball

Soccer

Golf

Track & Field-Indoor

Track & Field-Outdoor

Lacrosse

Football

Hockey

Wrestling

For Women-10

Basketball

Soccer

Golf

Track & Field-Indoor

Track & Field-Outdoor

Lacrosse

Volleyball

Softball

Bowling

Field Hockey

No one in the Summit is going to get rid of existing sports to add some with no history or recruiting base.

this thread shouldn’t be about the Summit sponsoring football and hockey!

2 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

No one in the Summit is going to get rid of existing sports to add some with no history or recruiting base.

this thread shouldn’t be about the Summit sponsoring football and hockey!

Summit Women drop swimming and diving and tennis and add Lacrosse, Bowling, and Field Hockey

Men drop Swimming and diving and tennis and add Lacrosse and Wrestling 

on the men's side that's a no brainer....adding lacrosse and wrestling would be awesome.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Write the check. 

How much more would wrestling, soccer, and lax be compared to tennis and cross country

And for women... Dropping tennis and cross country and adding bowling and lax ( I threw field hockey on the for title nine... So not sure if needed)

If we're going to continue to with Softball this program needs to have facilities update if we're ever going to compete in softball because of our climate. They need to get to where they have bubble dome facility that would allow this team to have practice facilities as well as place to play that can schedule home games with confidence. I know this is not cheap thing to propose but without it how are we ever going to attract players and develop players if we can't provide facilities where they can play during the school year. I look at other sports like football, track, and soccer have been provided facilities because of our climate. This would have been easier to propose if also had a baseball team something I am not getting into, but if we are going to have softball then we need to start looking at how we can become more successful playing the sport. It's not fair to players, coaches, and university if we're going to just throw huge Somes of money to play the sport we have no intention of competing just to satisfy the NCAA and conference.  I believe if there was some leadership for athletic administration and working with donors and Grand Forks community there is probably way to funding something like this. There is huge need for facility like this in Northeastern North Dakota/Northwest Minnesota and i believe it could generate revenue also by renting facility out for high school to play games, other neighboring colleges to also play games and finally to the public for parties and activities of being able to play during the winter. This i believe should be looked at and being discussed with future facilities for UND.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I thought we trimmed sports a few years ago? Aren't we down to the minimum we need to have?

Yeah we are, just one poster wants other schools to drops what we have and add new sports which is never going to happen so this thread is pointless 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ND-fan said:

If we're going to continue to with Softball this program needs to have facilities update if we're ever going to compete in softball because of our climate. They need to get to where they have bubble dome facility that would allow this team to have practice facilities as well as place to play that can schedule home games with confidence. I know this is not cheap thing to propose but without it how are we ever going to attract players and develop players if we can't provide facilities where they can play during the school year. I look at other sports like football, track, and soccer have been provided facilities because of our climate. This would have been easier to propose if also had a baseball team something I am not getting into, but if we are going to have softball then we need to start looking at how we can become more successful playing the sport. It's not fair to players, coaches, and university if we're going to just throw huge Somes of money to play the sport we have no intention of competing just to satisfy the NCAA and conference.  I believe if there was some leadership for athletic administration and working with donors and Grand Forks community there is probably way to funding something like this. There is huge need for facility like this in Northeastern North Dakota/Northwest Minnesota and i believe it could generate revenue also by renting facility out for high school to play games, other neighboring colleges to also play games and finally to the public for parties and activities of being able to play during the winter. This i believe should be looked at and being discussed with future facilities for UND.

UND is building a on campus softball field (outdoor), I know they have played in the Alerus in the past and I believe they use the Pollard Center for practice as well. The Alerus and Pollard are not ideal for softball but it's something.  I agree it would help if they had a indoor facility that was for baseball/softball.  Local high schools could also utilize and get funding from the city as well

13 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

That is an intriguing idea. But we need to solve our fundraising issues first.

I do think that if Fenton said that the Summit League will be a FBS Football League with lax and men's hockey fundraising would increase...it would be a unique conference with those 3...FBS, hockey, and LAX

• Upvote 1

The Men's CC team is a subset of the Men's Outdoor T&F roster. So why would you end CC? It counts as an NCAA sport. 

Men's ITF, OTF, and CC count as 3 NCAA sports (against the minimum sponsorship). Same for Women's. So there's six of the minimum. 

21 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The Men's CC team is a subset of the Men's Outdoor T&F roster. So why would you end CC? It counts as an NCAA sport. 

Men's ITF, OTF, and CC count as 3 NCAA sports (against the minimum sponsorship). Same for Women's. So there's six of the minimum. 

gotcha