SiouxSports.com Forum

Under-utilized Players

Just Curious

At this juncture, his play has been disappointing, but he really hasn't been given much of a chance to improve or even get a feel for the level play in the WCHA.

Hell, you can say that about 75% of the team at this stage, and most of those guys have seen more playing time than Radke.

It generally takes longer for a defenseman to adjust to the speed of the game in the WCHA than it does for a forward. I recall Mike Commodore not looking too great his first season. Even James Patrick "only" looked average for the first half of his freshman season in the fall of '81, and was outstanding after the Christmas break. Time will tell, but for now, I think Radke is developing well.

Sounds like you guys are like me and expect Greene to be gone next season. That means we need Smaby, Radke, and Bina ready. Will they be?

As far as the team, is there anyone that "exceeds expectations" for this season right now?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The first that comes to my mind would be Spirko.

As far as the team, is there anyone that "exceeds expectations" for this season right now?

I don't know if "exceeds expectations" is the right way to put it, but this year's freshman are definitely holding up their end of the bargain. Zajac and Spirko have been terrific, Kaip is a workhorse of the McMahon mold, and Phil is our best guy in the pipes by a long shot. Radke will be a good one here before he's done, too. Just needs more playing time. The freshman forwards have been the most pleasant surprise to me.

The first that comes to my mind would be Spirko.

I'd try to make a case for Spirko and Lamoureux and after that probably Zajac. Beyond that I have trouble even trying to apply "exceeds expectations" to anyone. There are a few "meeting expectations" and way too many "not meeting expectations".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I appreciated that this past weekend MPrpich DREW 2 penalties by skating hard toward the net (the Maverick penalties were not retalitory penalties, but take MP down/stop a scoring chance type penalties) -- he also forced a penalty during the Golden Griffin series. He's been working hard, something he seems to do a lot -- he's a great instigator but he's shown much more value to the team on the ice, not in the penalty box.

Also -- RMcMahon -- averaged about 7 goals his 1st 3 years at UND -- this year, just past the mid-point, he has 9 goals. Keep up the excellent work. I think CGenoway has averaged about 18/19 points a year, this year he's already up to 25 points. These guys are seniors and their points are needed and expected, so to see them produce is good.

CPorter's 9 goals are a great start. There have been some wonderful passes and chances, but more people need to be put the puck in the net -- the number of shots on goal has been over 30 (right?) the past couple games, that's very, very good -- they've just got to quit making the goalies look too good.

Freshmen? TZajac's 12 goals and RSpirko's 19 points indicate that they are living up to the hype preceeding their arrival.

I really enjoy the energy RBina, LMarvin, SFoyt and BCannady bring each time they play -- ice time might be lacking, and maybe SF, LM & BC lack the finesse of some of the more regular players but they hustle and if the coaches ask them to play forward, play defense or sit the bench, they do whatever to support the team.

Sounds like you guys are like me and expect Greene to be gone next season. That means we need Smaby, Radke, and Bina ready. Will they be?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, I think they will be ready. I just wish Jones would be around to help. Smaby seems to start out slow but gets better as the season progresses. This time last year, Smaby started to take off so to speak. He may have lost some of that drive over the summer, hence the slow start again, but I think he'll improve.

Bina started out the year as, by far, our best defenseman. Lately, starting with the UMD series, he's shown that he's not unbeatable.

Radke was probably overwhelmed with how fast things develop and how even faster things can fall apart in DI hockey. I'm thinking that jumping from juniors to DI is a lot like jumping from high school's honor society to Harvard. When you were in high school getting great grades and achieving all those honors, you thought you were the smart one on campus. When you get to Harvard, you realize that everyone here is just as smart as you are and perhaps some are even more smart. I think Radke will come around. He is ranked #2, but we may not see why this season. He was ranked #2 coming into a defensive corp that was already deep.

As for expectations: I think Phil takes the cake on this one. I didn't expect him to see much action at all his freshman year because of Brandt's last season performance. I had heard he was good, but not THIS good THIS soon. BTW- Has anyone noticed, even before JPar's rough games, that there was more energy among the crowd when Phil was starting? Yes, he's the home grown goaltender, but don't you think that could affect a team's mindset?

Overall, I really think our freshman class is VERY VERY good, however, they are being forced to play like upperclassmen before they even finish their first semester of coursework. It's a lot.

I sure hope Smaby, Radke, and Bina will be ready. Bina seems to be the most consistent of the three, but Radke seems to be getting better already. Smaby needs to cut down on the giveaways and then he should be fine. We will need the incoming frosh dmen Lee, Chorney, and Jones to perform well right away otherwise our forwards are going to have to score lots of goals if we want to win some games.

My exceeded expectations group is the freshman class, McMahon, and Porter.

I sure hope Smaby, Radke, and Bina will be ready. Bina seems to be the most consistent of the three, but Radke seems to be getting better already. Smaby needs to cut down on the giveaways and then he should be fine. We will need the incoming frosh dmen Lee, Chorney, and Jones to perform well right away otherwise our forwards are going to have to score lots of goals if we want to win some games.

My exceeded expectations group is the freshman class, McMahon, and Porter.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Finally a rational comment..

The big difference is CM skated in most of the team's games his freshmen season. He finished with 16 points, skating in 33 of 39 games (85% of games). Brad Williamson is another example. He only had 4 points his first year, but skated in 34 of 38 games (89%).

Radke has two points thus far, but has only played in 15 of 24 games (62.5%). If he is going to be relied on next season, which he will be I would think considering the departures, Greene included, he needs to see more ice time. He needs to be provided the opportunity those guys were.

At this juncture, his play has been disappointing, but he really hasn't been given much of a chance to improve or even get a feel for the level play in the WCHA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At some point Hakstol needs to be looking towards next season and get Radke some more ice time. However players like Williamson and Murphy did not come into the program behind a unit like Greene, Jones, Schneider, Smaby and Fuher. Most hockey teams dress 6 D, but generally only play 4-5 for most of the game. I can see why Radke should get more playing time, but at which of the above mentioned players expense?

At some point Hakstol needs to be looking towards next season and get Radke some more ice time.  However players like Williamson and Murphy did not come into the program behind a unit like Greene, Jones, Schneider, Smaby and Fuher.  Most hockey teams dress 6 D, but generally only play 4-5 for most of the game.  I can see why Radke should get more playing time, but at which of the above mentioned players expense?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When Williamson came on the team, Nick Naumenko, Dane Litke, Mark Pivetz, Mitch Vig and Kevin Rappana were already in the fold. Now I realize the name Rappana doesn't necessarily strike fear in the hearts of opponents, but those other four were very solid college d-men. Naumenko is one of the best offensive d-men of all-time at UND. Litke and Vig were both captains during their tenure and Pivetz was a rock in '97. Remember '97, that is the year Litke, Pivetz and Vig were members of a national championship team.

As much as I hope these year's team can enjoy the same success, it doesn't appear likely unless something drastic changes, and soon!

With regard to Radke, I am not suggesting he should, or is worthy of, taking any of the upperclassmen's spots. BUT, if he is expected, and he will be, to be ready and successful next season (and be considered a veteran) he needs more ice time, plain and simple.

Bottom line - Radke hasn't come close to meeting preseason expectations, but he is most definitely not the reason this year's team is underachieving.

When Williamson came on the team, Nick Naumenko, Dane Litke, Mark Pivetz, Mitch Vig and Kevin Rappana were already in the fold. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK, so Williamson was competing with 5 veterans. Radke is competing with six returning players on the blueline, meaning he is in a battle to get in the lineup. The one extra player has a major implication.

Bottom line - Radke hasn't come close to meeting preseason expectations, but he is most definitely not the reason this year's team is underachieving.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with that, but I do think we are starting to see improvement and it is far too early to give up on him. I still think he can be a very good player. And I agree with jloos that there isn't anybody ahead of him that should be yanked from the lineup at his expense (at least not at this point in the season).

And I agree with jloos that there isn't anybody ahead of him that should be yanked from the lineup at his expense (at least not at this point in the season).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And I agree with that. It seems to be a catch-22. Sioux fans (some anyway) are calling his play disappointing, likely due to preseason expectations because of the hype. But who should he replace in the lineup, probably nobody; but how will he improve if he doesn't play, he won't! Tough situation.

I haven't given up on him though and look forward to him being a solid contributor in the year's ahead.

btw, off topic, but related to Radke, has anybody else noticed how short his stick is - it looks like it is about two feet long? That thing wouldn't come up to Greene's waist.

And I agree with that. It seems to be a catch-22. Sioux fans (some anyway) are calling his play disappointing, likely due to preseason expectations because of the hype. But who should he replace in the lineup, probably nobody; but how will he improve if he doesn't play, he won't! Tough situation.

I haven't given up on him though and look forward to him being a solid contributor in the year's ahead.

btw, off topic, but related to Radke, has anybody else noticed how short his stick is - it looks like it is about two feet long? That thing wouldn't come up to Greene's waist.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is strange for a D-man, but stickhandlers like the short sticks. DMT knows all about short sticks :glare: maybe he can weigh in on the issue.

I do agree with catch 22 statement. Radke needs playing time to develop, but the Sioux are playing for a NCAA spot and cannot afford to take a veteran out at his expense.

One thing about expectations involves a post on this very board where the recruits stats are shown and I think that fills our heads with too much hope when the reality is that even the all time Sioux greats have had Freshmen struggles.

I may be trying to have it both ways here, but I think the D has been disappointing at times, and yet, when you give the best team in the country 4 goals in a weekend, you can't say D is the problem.

Can you?

I think Radke "sounded" great out there this weekend.  He seemed to be involved in the play, and not make any errors.  He didn't take any penalties.  If that truly was the case, how could you argue against him playing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He even threw the best hit by a Sioux last night. He had a solid weekend against the number one team!

It's funny how we all become hockey coaches when things aren't going well. I agree that the Sioux deserve some critisicm for the way they have been playing, but I feel that the team took a huge blow last season losing Bo and ZP (2 of the best players to ever play for the Sioux IMO) and Blaiser, one of the more successful coaches in WCHA history. Until they start to gel and get used to new things, they aren't going to be the same team that we have been lucky enough to watch these past couple of years. The team has outstanding potential we all know this, but its going to take time for them to develop that, especially the young offense.

It's funny how we all become hockey coaches when things aren't going well. I agree that the Sioux deserve some critisicm for the way they have been playing, but I feel that the team took a huge blow last season losing Bo and ZP (2 of the best players to ever play for the Sioux IMO) and Blaiser, one of the more successful coaches in WCHA history. Until they start to gel and get used to new things, they aren't going to be the same team that we have been lucky enough to watch these past couple of years. The team has outstanding potential we all know this, but its going to take time for them to develop that, especially the young offense.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well said even though I'm as guilty as the next (being a coach when I'm not).

Well said even though I'm as guilty as the next (being a coach when I'm not).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We all are at times, its sort of a part of being a die-hard fan. I just feel we need to cut this team a little slack under the circumstances and focus a little more on the things they are doing well, rather than poorly. Constructive criticism isn't constructive unless you point out the good with the bad.