SiouxSports.com Forum

HAWKS VS red cows (SATURDAY)

iluvdebbies

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

So last night when CC was leading, she says, “If CC ends up playing at Omaha, we should fly out there for the series next weekend!” I was like, “That sounds great!”

Fast forward to after both the UND and CC games, and I’m like, “So we’re still going to Omaha next weekend right??!!” And she’s like, “He*# no!” 

It looks like there is a teachable moment here.

3 hours ago, Irish said:

If we would have had DeRidder 2.0 all season things would be vastly different.

It’s crazy how good goaltending can make a coach look like a genius, whereas poor goaltending can make a coach look like a…a…like a guy who’s not gonna coach here much longer. 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

It’s crazy how good goaltending can make a coach look like a genius, whereas poor goaltending can make a coach look like a…a…like a guy who’s not gonna coach here much longer. 

Our team D has been a lot better too though. What did his numbers look like Friday night?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ND_Texan said:

DeRidder handled 5 less shots than the Omaha goalie. 

Yeah..I guess my point was that he had another game with a sub 90% save percentage. Which is not good. But yet everyone is happy, because we won. I was too, but those numbers still aren’t good.

and I’ve never sat here and bashed the goalies…numbers have been really bad all season, but I’ve put more on the team D.

last night we locked down and DeRidder was solid. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

Took me a bit to grasp your reasoning,  Grimaldi has entered my mind as a coach prospect.   No idea if coaching is part of his plan forward, just thoughts in an idle mind.

I meant the pipe shooting. Seemed he hit iron more than net...

22 hours ago, burd said:

On a marginally related matter:   Jandric has really been good this year. 

But he still has a propensity for the backhand blind pass to an area. Did it twice Saturday. Could've eaten it each time. 

Glass and boards were invented for a reason. Use them. 

22 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Dillon Simpson would be a great coach. Sucks his career here ended the way it did, but he captained a team that made a major turn around despite hiccups and always sounded like a coach in interviews. 

If we're speculating future coaches when we have no idea if they're even interested in coaching ... 

After a Covid season at UND, then a year and a half in the A, followed by 282 games in the NHL, and another season in the A before moving to coaching ... Ethan Frisch looks good in a suit behind the bench I'd guess. :D 

On 3/4/2023 at 10:00 PM, ND_Texan said:

And for just the 2nd time in 24 years UND will not be hosting the first round in the playoffs. Hopefully that doesn't sit well with the coaches and the boys and gets them fired up to redeem themselves for that rather embarrassing stat. 

I know that was the stat displayed inside the arena on Saturday night, but it's actually the 2nd time in 21 years (or the 3rd time in 28 years)...

March 8-9, 2002 at Minnesota (2-7 L, 3-4 OTL)

March 15-16, 2019 at Denver (0-2 L, 2-4 L)

Prior to 2002, the last time UND was on the road for the first round of the conference playoffs was in 1995. The last time UND had home ice and did not advance to the league semifinals was in 1996.

That means that from 1997-2022, North Dakota hosted the first round 22 times and advanced 22 times. During that stretch, UND went on the road twice and got swept twice, missing the WCHA Final Five in 2002 and the NCHC Frozen Faceoff in 2019. (There was no NCHC tourney in 2020, and the format was modified in 2021.)

Dave

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dave Berger said:

I know that was the stat displayed inside the arena on Saturday night, but it's actually the 2nd time in 21 years (or the 3rd time in 28 years)...

Prior to 2002, the last time UND was on the road for the first round of the conference playoffs was in 1995. The last time UND had home ice and did not advance to the league semifinals was in 1996.

That means that from 1997-2022, North Dakota hosted the first round 22 times and advanced 22 times. During that stretch, UND went on the road twice and got swept twice, missing the WCHA Final Five in 2002 and the NCHC Frozen Faceoff in 2019. (There was no NCHC tourney in 2020, and the format was modified in 2021.)

Dave

Thanks for this, Dave. Facts are rather helpful to my brain-fogged memory hole. Seriously.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dave Berger said:

Dave

So we are on the road this coming weekend...history does not look favorably on Sioux advancing to St Paul.  Is UNO getting some guys back that did not play in Grand Forks last weekend?

4 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

So we are on the road this coming weekend...history does not look favorably on Sioux advancing to St Paul.

I feel like the more current history, UND winning the season series 3-0-1 over Omaha, matters more. But frankly, none of that matters! All comes down who plays better this weekend. 

Just now, stoneySIOUX said:

I feel like the more current history, UND winning the season series 3-0-1 over Omaha, matters more. But frankly, none of that matters! All comes down who plays better this weekend. 

Our guys aware of the OT rules now that we're in the playoffs?  Hoping they're not waiting for the shootout.

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm thinking 0.920 for a best 2 of 3 UND series win.

If UND sweeps it's more like 0.940. 

Omaha is averaging 31.5 shots a game. Rounding up to 32, DeRidder would need to stop 30 of 32 to be 0.9375. 

Works for me.