SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (6-13, 0-6) vs KC (7-12, 3-3) 1/19 7 pm

SWSiouxMN

8 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Think Sather did a much better job with rotations. Only complaint would be Brooks not playing at all especially with Grant playing. 

Had 4 starters with 30 plus minutes, and only played 4 off the bench. This is how it should have been throughout conference play.

When we had that successful Thanksgiving weekend, I looked back and we only played 10, although Brooks was hurt. Kind of makes me wonder why they were playing 12 guys there for a while.

4 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

Had 4 starters with 30 plus minutes, and only played 4 off the bench. This is how it should have been throughout conference play.

When we had that successful Thanksgiving weekend, I looked back and we only played 10, although Brooks was hurt. Kind of makes me wonder why they were playing 12 guys there for a while.

Think Brooks might end up taking some of Levias minutes… Brooks is basically Brady.. and Brady is shooting better from 3 this year. It’s just hard to put another non shooter on the floor with this group. 

Them getting Norman and Eaglestaff on the floor together definitely helps offensively, just need those guys to keep growing defensively. Which they did a solid job tonight i thought 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’m glad to hear people were worried about me and wondering where I was! Was at the game enjoying it and not on my phone!

Good team win! Loved the rotations especially in the second half when Grant didn’t play and we used Trey as the backup PG. Trey and Norman need to play together as much as possible moving forward. Omot ultra aggressive. Lots of positives! Good to get the first conference win.

However, KC was playing like it was an open gym. No structure whatsoever. Need to enjoy it tonight but get back focused for Saturday as Oral Roberts will be 10x harder of a game. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SD UND said:

Think Brooks might end up taking some of Levias minutes… Brooks is basically Brady.. and Brady is shooting better from 3 this year. It’s just hard to put another non shooter on the floor with this group. 

Them getting Norman and Eaglestaff on the floor together definitely helps offensively, just need those guys to keep growing defensively. Which they did a solid job tonight i thought 

I think Brooks is a way better finisher and natural defender than Danielson. Not saying I would trade Brooks minutes for Danielson. 

Just now, sioux24/7 said:

I think Brooks is a way better finisher and natural defender than Danielson. Not saying I would trade Brooks minutes for Danielson. 

I’d agree! The forced narrative that he is some lockdown defender is just not true. However, like you said I wouldn’t trade Danielson’s minutes for Brooks. Brady has been playing solid!

30 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I’d agree! The forced narrative that he is some lockdown defender is just not true. However, like you said I wouldn’t trade Danielson’s minutes for Brooks. Brady has been playing solid!

32 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I don’t disagree with either points.

Brady makes so many “winning” plays that don’t show up in stat sheet

think Elijah will get there, because he is definitely more talented than Brady.

hopefully Elijah is going head to head vs Brady every day and will pick up on some things Brady brings. In the long run I would hope Elijah can be a border line all conference player 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Nice win - the three was falling 

we cannot expect to shoot that way consistently from the three

Absolutely! Can't expect them to keep shooting that well from three every game. Outscored Denver 45-9 on points from threes and lost. Outscored UMKC 54-21 on points from threes. Ended up winning by 17 but almost gave it away around the 5 minute mark and thankfully pulled away! Need to keep playing defense while also finding a way to get some easy points off layups or other 2's.

I don't mind the live by the 3 die by the 3 mentality we've had the last two games, but especially on Saturday if they aren't falling at 38.5% and 43% like the last two games it could get ugly quick. 

Didn’t have too many mental lapses last night

Don’t  recall a long scoring drought either 

KC knew Und was a 3 point team but couldn’t get out on the shooters

think it was 16 or 17 minutes into the game before we tried a 2 point shot 

4 minutes ago, Kab said:

Didn’t have too many mental lapses last night

Don’t  recall a long scoring drought either 

KC knew Und was a 3 point team but couldn’t get out on the shooters

think it was 16 or 17 minutes into the game before we tried a 2 point shot 

Honest question, do you think KC thought UND was a 3 point team or do you think they just thought the game against Denver was an anomaly?

Before last night I thought that the Denver game was a one time thing that we shot and made that many 3's. Never viewed us as a 3 point team before that, but now after last night it seems as though that is going to be their game plan moving forward (I hope at least). Look to drive and kick and get open 3's. I like it!!

28 minutes ago, SD UND said:

Not injured. Just out of rotation.

Which is good, imo. I thought the rotations were MUCH better last night. Especially in the second half. I like the starting 5 with Norman and Mathews as the subs. Let those 7 dominate the minutes. Could make a case for Levias being a sub as well though. I would like to see Brooks get some minutes instead of 0 but he is just too limited offensively at the moment and isn't a PG that you could have him back up Trent and surround him with shooters. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Which is good, imo. I thought the rotations were MUCH better last night. Especially in the second half. I like the starting 5 with Norman and Mathews as the subs. Let those 7 dominate the minutes. Could make a case for Levias being a sub as well though. I would like to see Brooks get some minutes instead of 0 but he is just too limited offensively at the moment and isn't a PG that you could have him back up Trent and surround him with shooters. 

Think the spacing if we continue shooting it like this could benefit Brooks? He is a fantastic finisher around the rim but other than that doesn’t even look at the rim really. 

14 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Think the spacing if we continue shooting it like this could benefit Brooks? He is a fantastic finisher around the rim but other than that doesn’t even look at the rim really. 

I suppose you could use him as a sub for Danielson when Norman is in. So you would go:

1. Trey 2. Norman 3. Brooks 4. Omot 5. TT

That could work as the spacing that provides would benefit him greatly. It is just so hard to have him in there at the same time as Trent. We've seen that that doesn't really work as there is no spacing and then no flow on offense. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kab said:

With Norman, Trey, T, Omot

they can alll make the 3

better than try forcing it down low

the down low will open up as teams go out to defend the 3

Correct.

I would argue that UND needs to maybe take more 3's on Saturday... as crazy as that sounds.

4 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

42 of their 56 shot attempts were 3's. Can't really get much more than that. Unless you speed up the game and try get more possessions and cut down on the 14 turnovers they had yesterday. 

"Chuck the ... " ... < checks notes > ... um, what are basketballs made of these days?