SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (5-4) @ Portland (6-4) 12/3 7 PM

SWSiouxMN

13 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Sounds like Bison played great defense.  Portland only shot about 32%.  

They also shot 44% from the field and 42% from three. I wasn't able to watch any of the game. Would have been interesting to see though what they did vs what we did to have that big of a difference between the two games. 

10 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

They also shot 44% from the field and 42% from three. I wasn't able to watch any of the game. Would have been interesting to see though what they did vs what we did to have that big of a difference between the two games. 

I agree.  Bison have won two games so far.  How did they pull this off or was it Portland not playing well.  We need more comparison.  They play Montana next.  Tonight we play Idaho.  We could use another road win.

39 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Sounds like Bison played great defense.  Portland only shot about 32%.  

I watched a bit of it. Portland missed a lot of open shots that they normally don't. Made some bad mistakes down the stretch as well. Credit to NDSU, they capitalized to get their first D1 win of the year. 

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

I watched a bit of it. Portland missed a lot of open shots that they normally don't. Made some bad mistakes down the stretch as well. Credit to NDSU, they capitalized to get their first D1 win of the year. 

Portland started out 3 for 18.  That is not 'defense', that is a really bad night.  Especially when looking at NDSU's defensive "efforts" this year.  

2 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Portland started out 3 for 18.  That is not 'defense', that is a really bad night.  Especially when looking at NDSU's defensive "efforts" this year.  

You're saying that taking almost 14 minutes to get into double digits isn't normal??

• Upvote 1

I watched most of the game.  Portland did not play well at all.  Looked like they were overlooking NDSU after what they did to UND.  They didnt shoot anything close to what they did against UND.   I didnt see that NDSU played any kind of spectacular defense.  Portland just looked off and not like the same team I watched play against UND.  

47 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Not making excuses but UND had long travel arrangements from Iowa St to Portland.  That may have contributed to tired legs when we had our couple of scoring droughts.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Not making excuses but UND had long travel arrangements from Iowa St to Portland.  That may have contributed to tired legs when we had our couple of scoring droughts.

Most definitely is a legit "excuse" for the poor performance against Portland. Traveling that much, sleeping in hotel beds for that many days, practicing in random gyms/not your own gym every day. It is a grind and ain't easy that's for sure! Hopefully we don't see any of those side effects tonight. As others have said, this is a winnable game that would be a great way to end off this long road trip. 

4 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

I agree.  Bison have won two games so far.  How did they pull this off or was it Portland not playing well.  We need more comparison.  They play Montana next.  Tonight we play Idaho.  We could use another road win.

I agree Portland didn’t play well against NDSU but the Bison were also without their best player. Portland would probably beat NDSU most nights even if Nelson was healthy, at least early in this season. But looking at Portland’s past scores this year, they lost to #1 N. Carolina by 7, #12 Michigan State by 1 and beat Villanova, this is a good win for NDSU. The Bison have some really talented true freshmen that need game experience. By March if they make the Summit Tourny, they may be able to make some noise.

NDSU did what UND should have done. They limited possessions and grinded it out. Sure Portland played bad, but NDSU did what NDSU usually does... play really slow, muck it up and have a chance at the end. 

If UND continues to play Nero, Sueker, Eaglestaff a ton of minutes together, UND will not like what opposing teams do to them offensively. The path to success is to play Trent, Brooks, Norman, Omot, T, Brady, Mathews the majority of minutes and those other 3 can play 8-10 to provide a scoring pop. But they cannot be 20+ min guys. UND's personnel is built to play kind of an ugly style and try to win in the 60's. (see thanksgiving weekend)

39 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

I agree Portland didn’t play well against NDSU but the Bison were also without their best player. Portland would probably beat NDSU most nights even if Nelson was healthy, at least early in this season. But looking at Portland’s past scores this year, they lost to #1 N. Carolina by 7, #12 Michigan State by 1 and beat Villanova, this is a good win for NDSU. The Bison have some really talented true freshmen that need game experience. By March if they make the Summit Tourny, they may be able to make some noise.

Well the good news there is everyone gets in this year.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, SD UND said:

NDSU did what UND should have done. They limited possessions and grinded it out. Sure Portland played bad, but NDSU did what NDSU usually does... play really slow, muck it up and have a chance at the end. 

If UND continues to play Nero, Sueker, Eaglestaff a ton of minutes together, UND will not like what opposing teams do to them offensively. The path to success is to play Trent, Brooks, Norman, Omot, T, Brady, Mathews the majority of minutes and those other 3 can play 8-10 to provide a scoring pop. But they cannot be 20+ min guys. UND's personnel is built to play kind of an ugly style and try to win in the 60's. (see thanksgiving weekend)

Absolutely those are the guys that need to play the majority of the game! And I think of the other 3, Eaglestaff needs to get the most minutes. Sure he makes some really dumb decisions, as most freshman do, but man he can really shoot it and score it when he doesn't try to do too much. I mean he is our 5th highest scorer playing 13 minutes per game. They could continue to use his scoring off the bench. They need to continue to develop him as the year goes on. Omot, Brooks, and Eaglestaff are the future of the program if we can somehow keep them for 2-3 more years. 

Eaglestaff needs to be playing mistakes and all.  He is a freshman and I can live with his mistakes.  We need to development him as he is part of the future.  Not to mention he is a scorer and we lack that from Trent, Brooks, Brady and Mathews.  We cant have that many guys that dont look to score and expect to win.    Suecker and Nero should not be getting the minutes they are.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, NewUndFan said:

I watched most of the game.  Portland did not play well at all.  Looked like they were overlooking NDSU after what they did to UND.  They didnt shoot anything close to what they did against UND.   I didnt see that NDSU played any kind of spectacular defense.  Portland just looked off and not like the same team I watched play against UND.  

NDSU was playing without their best player as well.