SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (5-4) @ Portland (6-4) 12/3 7 PM

SWSiouxMN

UND could not overcome the Cyclone defense and couldn't get the upset against Iowa State.  It is on to the West Coast for game 2 of their 3 game road swing.  They get the Pilots of Portland, who is coming off a impressving showing at the Phil Knight Invitiational

About the Pilots

For much of the 2010s, the Pilots where consistenly in the bottom of the WCC conference.  While they did have a couple of visits to the CIT tournament, this program found itself struggling to win even a conference game towards the end of the decade.  It was clear that something needed to change.

Enter Shantay Legans

Legans made a name for himself in the BSC with Eastern Washington, winning a BSC regular season title in 2020 and and BSC tournament title in 2021.   In his first year in Portland, it produce their best season in nearly a decade.  7-7 in the WCC and 19 wins.   In year 2, things continue to be an upward direction for the Pilots.  The best evidence of this was at the Phil Knight Invitational.  While they did go 1-2 in this tournmament, they easily could have gone 3-0.  They lost by 8 to then #1 North Carolina, beat Villinova by 12, and lost against #12 Michigan State by a single point.  

This was a bit of a statement to the rest of the WCC that perhaps the Pilots are ready to take the next step in the conference.  While the Zags and the Gaels of St. Mary's will still be the class of the conference, these results could means that if the Pilots made a strong run the rest of the way in non-conference (they have a game against Oregon) and perhaps pick off the Zags or Gales at some point... could they find their way to the NCAA tournament for the first time in 1996?  Even if they can't, the program is going in the right direction.  

And that could mean bigger things for Mr. Legans

About Shantay Legans (100-68 overall, 7-7 WCC)

The 41 year old has made a name for himself in the small school world.  After spending 8 years as an assistant under Jim Hayford at Eastern Washington, he took over the program after Hayford went up to Seattle.  In his 4 years there, the Eagles finished no worse than 3rd in the BSC and made an NCAA tournament appearance.  Now at Portland, led them to their best season in quite some time and is now looking for more.    The performance of the team at the PKI has started to get some notice that Legans might be on to bigger and better things in the future, but for now, a climb up the WCC stadnings will do.

Key player: Tyler Robertson (6'6 Junior)

The Aussie with a big guard but man can he do it all.  He can score, rebound and distribute the basketball.  He had a 22-24 performance from the free throw line against Portland State.  He nearly had triple doubles against Nova and MSU.  He doesn't shoot too much from 3 but is quite capable of hitting it from outisde.   UND will face a tough test with this guard, backcourt better be ready.  Averaging 16 points, 5 rebounds, and 6 assists per game. 

Keys:

1) No long droughts

2) Crash the boards hard

3) No track meets

The call:

This will be a good team for UND to play to prepare them for both Seattle later in the year and then Oral Roberts.  This is a very efficient offense that the Pilots run and they can score.  UND is going to have to play their best offensive game of the year and their defense is going to have to be on top of their as well.   If they can play this game in the 70s, they will have a chance.  With that said, I think Pilots will be too much on the offensive side of the basketball for UND on this one.  

Portland 83-71

Game is on ESPN+

Just now, Nodak78 said:

You have listened to the radio.  Your biased is unbelievable.

I have watched every single game this year. It’s not hard to see man. Please take the Nero fanboy glasses off for a second and watch the game when Nero is in vs when Trent is in. I promise you it’ll be eye opening

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I have watched every single game this year. It’s not hard to see man. Please take the Nero fanboy glasses off for a second and watch the game when Nero is in vs when Trent is in. I promise you it’ll be eye opening

No visual. No Stats,  only radio.  You must be better than Bill Fitch.  At least have visual.  

6 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

No visual. No Stats,  only radio.  You must be better than Bill Fitch.  At least have visual.  

Don’t worry I have a stream working for the second half so I’ll be able to see it with my own two eyes what me and anybody else actually watching the games has seen all year from Nero. It’s not hard to see bud