SiouxSports.com Forum

The "NODAK" Trademark

The Sicatoka

Referring back to this posting, c'mon @southpawquote the FULL first quote you cited: 

"Well if wild speculation is the game ... and following Frozen's trail ... " 

I specifically said I was in the realm of "wild speculation". And that December 1 post is unedited. 

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

I don't think the main gist of this story is in doubt--BB's daughter, with lawyer, who is friend of BB, got the trademark. Subsequently, when stuff hit the fan, it was apparently turned over to UND without compensation from UND. What part of that is rumor, and risking a libel claim? All of that was in Port's story so the forum obviously doesn't see a potential libel problem.

Doesn't look like we're ever going to get an explanation from BB. While this is the easy way out, it doesn't "clear his name." The thing still has an odor that can't be cured without sunlight and fresh air. 

But we knew all of this a week ago; what brings your comment now? Is there something new?

What this all comes down to is what I (and many others) have been saying for years.  Brad Berry is against using the Fighting Hawks nickname.  That's why you never see him wearing anything with a Fighting Hawks logo on it.  Why he never refers to the team as the "Fighting Hawks" instead saying "North Dakota." Why the logo is not on the helmets.  Why the logo is not at center ice.  Why the locker room remodel occured before the new logo came out to avoid displaying it in the locker room.  Why the hockey team came out with jerseys that say "Nodak" instead of jerseys that say "Hawks."

Brad Berry will go out of his way to prevent using the Fighting Hawks name and logo.  And that includes promoting a name and trademark that is owned by his daughter!!  Shady as hell and just embarassing for a head coach of a the most popular sports team at the University. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Big Lubowski said:

I don't think the main gist of this story is in doubt--BB's daughter, with lawyer, who is friend of BB, got the trademark.

In fairness, Port's first story mentioned Tarek Howard as setting up a ND LLC that timed out in 2020; however, it is not clear Howard did the 2022 work for the MN LLC and for acquiring the TM. 

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

In fairness, Port's first story mentioned Tarek Howard as setting up a ND LLC that timed out in 2020; however, it's not clear Howard did the 2022 work for the MN LLC and for  acquiring the TM. 

Ok. I'll check my homeowner's coverage to see if it will cover a libel claim. But, if Tarek brings a claim against me, we'd probably get to the bottom of the issue at trial...:)

Allow me another bout of wild speculation to follow:

Brad Berry was blind-sided by this. His daughter got wind of NODAK (singular) jerseys somehow, and got a half-baked idea. She got a friend who's an attorney (not Tarek Howard*) to create a MN LLC and do the TM paperwork. (For what ends? I'll leave that to the reader.) But when confronted with the appearance of conflict of interest Coach Berry had a succinct and direct call to a daughter explaining what the word "relinquish" means and why she'd be doing it immediately and without compensation. 

*Howie would see a conflict and warn off his client, I hope. 

10 minutes ago, Big Lubowski said:

That's a legit explanation. And if BB told us that, we'd all say: "kids," and go on our way. 

No. That was speculation. As you say, one of the Berrys could make it explanation. 

My assumption is the truth is somewhere between the ends of wild speculation.