SiouxSports.com Forum

Let's Help Bubba 8

UND Fan

As many of you know, ss.com members have provided assistance to UND’s football program in recent years.  In seven different drives, we have provided $60,000+ for a variety of purposes:  knee & ankle braces, Guardian caps, upgraded video equipment, new jackets for cold weather games, etc.  Last year, we raised over $12,000 for OL knee braces and new practice equipment.

For now, we will put LHB8 on hold. I had hoped Phase II of the Pollack Athletic Center would have been announced by now.  If it had, we would have raised funds for something the football program needed but wasn’t included in the Phase II budget.  If the interest among ss.com members appears to be there, we will undertake this drive when the timetable for Phase II is announced. 

Thanks again to the many of you who have helped our LHB efforts in the past!

26 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

I had thought about that but assumed our total would be a drop in the bucket compared to what is needed.

Any other opinions on this?

Even if it's small, creating something that can be a conduit to future growth could be worth while. 

I'd also like to donate directly toward phase two whenever the university starts the so called public phase....

I'm not much help, but I will contribute what little I can to anything you or the football program come up with (if anything).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Why not refocus this effort toward funding an NIL collective? 

This is "thee" near term competitive advantage tool!!  If we snooze and play catch-up later it will be a missed opportunity.  I've voiced my opinion to the University already.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

This is "thee" near term competitive advantage tool!!  If we snooze and play catch-up later it will be a missed opportunity.  I've voiced my opinion to the University already.

NIL are not university controlled. 

7 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Who offers these deals (money) to the players then?  Is this some Ben Newman off the books type sh_t?

"NIL Collective" tutorial: https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cfb-hq/ncaa-football/college-football-nil-rule-changes-what-you-need-to-know#:~:text=Literally%2C it means "name%2C,NCAA previously didn't allow. 

For example: Rydell Chevy can pay < player > to do promo ads now. 

Another example: Ethan Frisch ran a hockey camp using his name last summer. (I missed buying a hat. :angry: )

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

At the direction of whom?  What recruit needs to be paid?  How much did the staff promise? 

16 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

A NIL collective works completely outside the framework of a university. Read the link. 

NIL Collective and Agents will randomly pay/recruit athletes with no direction from Boosters/Coaching staff.......:D  Good one!!  Might as well get my 5th booster shot, too.

7 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

NIL Collective and Agents will randomly pay/recruit athletes with no direction from Boosters/Coaching staff.......:D  Good one!!  Might as well get my 5th booster shot, too.

Officially, no, none. 

... and we know everyone always plays by the rules ... 

13 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Yeah, the institutions need to play a role with NIL, it just so happens it might be unwritten. Grand Forks is a perfect community for NIL and recruiting college football players. For example, Lincoln and UNL Cornhusker FB program have a great partnership for NIL. 

Rydell's, Altru, etc. all great possibilities to help *legally* recruit top football student-athletes to Grand Forks via NIL. The details are bit unclear right now from my perspective, but if there’s a will, there’s certainly a way with this. 

12 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Chaves said in radio they are in a wait and see approach

used a few big words but doesn’t sound like he’s actively pushing it

Sounds like a losing strategy at UND.

The easiest way is probably a shotgun approach by position group like the Texas O-lineman. (which started at $50,000/year but I see it's up to $150,000 now) No wonder these players need agents now.  Half these students probably make more than their parents.  This is going well.

The Pancake Factory is set to begin August 1, 2022, with a total of $800,000 annually earmarked for the offensive line sponsorship. This, along with the Clark Field Collective, another company sponsoring Texas players, means each Texas OL will be making at least $150,000 per season.

Do other similarly situated institutions have NLI groups?  If so, do they generally try to provide a payment across the board to all players or use the funds to try to attract specific higher end athletes.   

I don't have a clear picture as to how to best utilize NLI at the FCS level to try to achieve a competitive advantage.

• Upvote 1