SiouxSports.com Forum

cberkas

So I’m at the Avalanche/Islanders game and when the periods start, most if not all of the players from both teams come shooting out onto the ice for a few quick laps around their respective nets. So my question is why did the NCHC (or perhaps it’s all of NCAA) implement the rule that only the goalie and five guys starting the period for each team are allowed to skate on the ice to start the next period? 

31 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

So I’m at the Avalanche/Islanders game and when the periods start, most if not all of the players from both teams come shooting out onto the ice for a few quick laps around their respective nets. So my question is why did the NCHC (or perhaps it’s all of NCAA) implement the rule that only the goalie and five guys starting the period for each team are allowed to skate on the ice to start the next period? 

That’s kind of dumb. Heck they’ve been sitting for 15 minutes. I know they will stretch out a bit but not to take a few laps and get the blood flowing would suck 

14 hours ago, Godsmack said:

A while back (I'm thinking 10+ years) the NCAA rules committee adopted a package of rules designed to speed up the games, which were edging up towards 3 hours.   Among those were rules prohibiting anyone but the skaters starting the period (or going back to the penalty box) from going onto the ice prior to period.  Similar rule applies at end of period.  There were rules changes about the length of time the visitors have to send out their skaters on a stoppage of play, etc etc.  

These changes dropped the length of a game, as I recall, by around 25-30 minutes.  

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, farce poobah said:

A while back (I'm thinking 10+ years) the NCAA rules committee adopted a package of rules designed to speed up the games, which were edging up towards 3 hours.   Among those were rules prohibiting anyone but the skaters starting the period (or going back to the penalty box) from going onto the ice prior to period.  Similar rule applies at end of period.  There were rules changes about the length of time the visitors have to send out their skaters on a stoppage of play, etc etc.  

These changes dropped the length of a game, as I recall, by around 25-30 minutes.  

Yah and given how few NHL games I attend, last night it struck me how long the leagues and team owners want their games to last in contrast to the NCAA. Given the $17 beers they charge at Ball Arena, it started making sense why they have 18 minute intermissions. 

• Upvote 3

This is a video of the UJ Women vs Minot St in Jamestown a few weeks ago. This is becoming a nasty rivalry already. Minot St has been know to be cheap in other games and have been reported. On this particular video Minot St received no penalty for the 2 crosschecks to the back of a UJ players head. This too was reported not just for the cheap shot but for the refs incompetence of not calling anything 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sioux rube said:

This is a video of the UJ Women vs Minot St in Jamestown a few weeks ago. This is becoming a nasty rivalry already. Minot St has been know to be cheap in other games and have been reported. On this particular video Minot St received no penalty for the 2 crosschecks to the back of a UJ players head. This too was reported not just for the cheap shot but for the refs incompetence of not calling anything 

IMG_4655.MOV

Good grief. Not only is the initial crosscheck to the back of the head worthy of a major penalty, so too is the follow-up punch to the back of the head. Maybe there's more to it or something, but what the video shows is pretty bush-league, IMO.

40 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

Good grief. Not only is the initial crosscheck to the back of the head worthy of a major penalty, so too is the follow-up punch to the back of the head. Maybe there's more to it or something, but what the video shows is pretty bush-league, IMO.

Nothing more to it. My daughter is the head coach for the Jimmie’s. Needless to say she was livid 

10 hours ago, sioux rube said:

Lemme guess … Don Adam was reffing?

• Upvote 1