SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. UNO

Smoggy

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did Bowenkamp do?

I don't really like him personally. I don't think he has an arm or vision to be a quarterback who can make big plays. I always remember him only being able to make the deep 8 yard pass when not throwing a screen.

I'm sorry, Bowenkamp fans, but I think UND could really use a QB who can utilize a deep threat.

How did Bowenkamp do?

I don't really like him personally.  I don't think he has an arm or vision to be a quarterback who can make big plays.  I always remember him only being able to make the deep 8 yard pass when not throwing a screen.

I'm sorry, Bowenkamp fans, but I think UND could really use a QB who can utilize a deep threat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Read the D well, but his arm still not allowing him to do what he wants.

How did Bowenkamp do?

I don't really like him personally.  I don't think he has an arm or vision to be a quarterback who can make big plays.  I always remember him only being able to make the deep 8 yard pass when not throwing a screen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He looked like an All-American against Ferris. :0

Although Dale Lennon has obviously done some great things as head coach, and hopefully will continue to do so for many more years, his road record against playoff caliber teams is pretty bad. In fact, I'm not sure there's been a single road win against a playoff-type team in his tenure.

UND 7, SDSU 21

UND 13, NW Mo. St. 20

UND 13, NDSU 16

UND 25, UNO 27

no road games against a playoff caliber team

UND 12, UNC 28

UND 17, UNO 20

UND 24, Mesa St. 31

UND 17, SCSU 21

UND 17, UNO 27

We'll generally win nearly all the home games, and usually the road games against teams we clearly should beat. But in terms of road games against teams where we're not a clear favorite or are an underdog, it's an almost guaranteed loss. I certainly don't expect to win all of these games, or even most of them, but to win none in six years isn't too good. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a team in dII where the difference between how they play at home and on the road is larger than what it is at UND. I don't attribute it to the Alerus because this problem pre-dates that by several years. I think you have to go back ten years to 1994 since we last won a really big road game, that being in the Fargodome. We've won at the Fargodome since, of course, but the 1996, 1998 and 2002 NDSU teams really weren't very strong.

Until this trend is reversed, I'm not sure we'll have another deep playoff run because the odds are that in any given year, there will be at least two difficult road games. Next year, for example, we have SCSU and UNO here, but we'll have to go to Winona and USD.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a team in dII where the difference between how they play at home and on the road is larger than what it is at UND.

I was going to make a similar observation, though from a slightly different direction. The Sioux are only championship competitive every other year due to NCC scheduling. Those years that we play the tough competition at home, the Sioux do well and get home field. 2004 was never in the cards. Parenthesized numbers are NCC ranking:

@UNO (1) Lost

@SCSU (2) Lost

2003 (UND was 1)

NDSU (2) Won

UNO (2) Won

SCSU (4) Won

SCSU (1) Lost

@UNC (1) Lost (later forfeit)

@UNO (3) Lost

2001 (UND was 1)

UNO (2) Lost

NDSU (3) Won

UNC (4) Won

SDSU (4) Won

Until this trend is reversed, I'm not sure we'll have another deep playoff run because the odds are that in any given year, there will be at least two difficult road games. Next year, for example, we have SCSU and UNO here, but we'll have to go to Winona and USD.

Win the rest and the every-other-year pattern continues. Don't get me wrong, this year's team certainly does not have a fork in them yet; with a good home showing next week, the team is playoff-bound, just not with that cushy home field of which we were just discussing the nicety.

I just don't think the offense is good enough to support a run to Florence.  Besides the obvious QB shuffling this year, the O-Line just isn't good enough.  In game after game, no matter who we are playing, they can't protect the QB and sometimes they can't even run block well enough for Roland and Strouth to get positive yards.  There is no way our defense gives up that long TD run in the third quarter if they are well rested and not run down from being on the field too much.  I don't know if we would have won or not, but a better effort from our offense might have made a big difference in the outcome.

We are very close to being a National Championship team, but I don't think it's going to happen this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was the general feeling going into this year, even before anyone knew Bowenkamp would miss most of the games. Pre-season, I had them pegged to go 8-2 in the regular season, with losses to SCSU & UNO. Sometimes, it sucks to be right! But on that note, 8-2 assumes we win next week. Perhaps in the playoffs, if we can get a QB performing at 100%, things can turn around.

I think next season is going to be great. The roster we have waiting is as good as it has ever been.

Easy now....First thing...Our offensive line played great against Nebraska-Omaha. I was there. THey had a guy who was 340, and some speedy linebackers, and good defensive ends. And ...strouth rushed for 80 yards on 17 carries, and roland had maybe 20.

Bowenkamp wasnt pressured all that much..ANd I think the reason is this.....it didnt take long for them to see that he couldnt throw deep. On that interception he almost threw, there were a line of linebackers at the first down marker, and he threw right to them. Ive never in my life seen coach lennon leave a guy in there on the road, playing that bad. He completed for less then 80 yards....Less than 80. Our defense didnt play there best game ever. But our offense was responsible for 3 points.

Boe and the boys drive a bit the first drive, thanks to the running game, and one short pass.

Punt return gets the ball on the 3. Thank heaven we scored

Punt Return puts up another 7......Guys we only scored 17 points...And 14 came from the special teams. I think with Belmore or Manke we had a much better shot. WHy would we tank the season for a guy who hasnt played since week 1. It didnt even look like there was offensive cohesiveness . I think we can still make the playoffs and still will. But some things need to be worked out ...because in the playoffs our defense in 2 big games sees we cant count on anything..Special Teams played amazing. We will be ready, and waiting in florence, after earning it with tough wins on the road

Fan, I agree with your assessment of the game, I was there as well. Its to bad that we cant get anything going on offense, if we dont get better play out of QB's we are in trouble this week. I think we are going to win, but USD's offense is similar to UNO, they have agood back and a big reciever, very similar to Denney from UNO. Speaking of him is there a rule that says blitz the QB repeatedly and single cover a reciever that has killed us over and over. We didn't get any pressure on Masek and every OBVIOUS throwing situation he came in lined up outside and ran a fade or a slant and it was a first down or a touchdown.

Next Bow should have been pulled, he couldn't throw downfield at all, was skipping the ball to recievers on our short crossing patterns, I mean short throws!! i applaud Bow for playing, but the coaches needed to make a decision that was best for the other 90 guys on the team.

On a better note the season isnt over , it looks like we need to win and we are in!!

I an still very confused on how SCSU is 3, doesn't make any sense at all.

GO SIOUX

Fan, I agree with your assessment of the game, I was there as well.  Its to bad that we cant get anything going on offense, if we dont get better play out of QB's we are in trouble this week.  I think we are going to win, but USD's offense is similar to UNO, they have agood back and a big reciever, very similar to Denney from UNO. Speaking of him is there a rule that says blitz the QB repeatedly and single cover a reciever that has killed us over and over. We didn't get any pressure on Masek and every OBVIOUS throwing situation he came in lined up outside and ran a fade or a slant and it was a first down or a touchdown. 

Next Bow should have been pulled, he couldn't throw downfield at all, was skipping the ball to recievers on our short crossing patterns, I mean short throws!!  i applaud Bow for playing, but the coaches needed to make a decision that was best for the other 90 guys on the team.

On a better note the season isnt over , it looks like we need to win and we are in!!

I an still very confused on how SCSU is 3, doesn't make any sense at all.

GO SIOUX

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Boy, I am torn about the QB situation. The one good thing about having Bowenkamp in is that his experience made him able to make the correct reads. He just couldn't throw because of his arm! I wonder if either Belmore or Manke were in, they would have made rookie (because that's what they are) mistakes, choosing bad reads, and the score would be a whole lot worse due to multiple interceptions. This season gives me flashbacks of the 2002 season. Lots of excitement at the beginning of the season, QB injuries changing the entire scope. Of course, having tough foes in SCSU, UNO, and USD hasn't helped, either. :silly:

Easy now....First thing...Our offensive line played great against Nebraska-Omaha. I was there. THey had a guy who was 340, and some speedy linebackers, and good defensive ends. And ...strouth rushed for 80 yards on 17 carries, and roland had maybe 20.

Okay, I stand corrected about yesterday's game. But in a lot of games this season, our O-Line hasn't gotten it done. I hope they can pull it together again next week and give us a shot at getting into the post-season.

Bowenkamp wasnt pressured all that much..ANd I think the reason is this.....it didnt take long for them to see that he couldnt throw deep. On that interception he almost threw, there were a line of linebackers at the first down marker, and he threw right to them. Ive never in my life seen coach lennon  leave a guy in there on the road, playing that bad. He completed for less then 80 yards....Less than 80. Our defense didnt play there best game ever. But our offense was responsible for 3 points.
Whatever happened to Lennon's "If he's not 100%, he doesn't play" rule? It's a good rule and he should have stuck with it.

WHy would we tank the season for a guy who hasnt played since week 1. It didnt even look like there was offensive cohesiveness .

Good question and the answer is we shouldn't. I'd rather lose because of young QB's mistakes than because an injured senior can't put the ball where he wants it.

We will be ready, and waiting in florence, after earning it with tough wins on the road

I certainly hope we get into the playoffs and make another run at it, but I just don't think it is meant to be this year. Next year could be the best season ever for this program, assuming injuries don't come up AGAIN. :silly:

I'll be there on Saturday. Win or lose, playoffs or not, it's been another fun year! :D

Bowenkamp wasnt pressured all that much..ANd I think the reason is this.....it didnt take long for them to see that he couldnt throw deep. On that interception he almost threw, there were a line of linebackers at the first down marker, and he threw right to them. Ive never in my life seen coach lennon  leave a guy in there on the road, playing that bad. He completed for less then 80 yards....Less than 80. Our defense didnt play there best game ever. But our offense was responsible for 3 points.

Boe and the boys drive a bit the first drive, thanks to the running game, and one short pass.

Punt return gets the ball on the 3. Thank heaven we scored

Punt Return puts up another 7......Guys we only scored 17 points...And 14 came from the special teams. I think with Belmore or Manke we had a much better shot. WHy would we tank the season for a guy who hasnt played since week 1. It didnt even look like there was offensive cohesiveness . I think we can still make the playoffs and still will. But some things need to be worked out ...because in the playoffs our defense in 2 big games sees we cant count on anything..Special Teams played amazing. We will be ready, and waiting in florence, after earning it with tough wins on the road

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wasn't at the game but to say the O line played great has to be a stretch. If they played great all the runs for zero or 1 yard in the second half, would have been runs of at least 4-5 yards or better. They may have played pretty well, but if they played great UND should have been able to at least run the ball consistantly throughout the game.

I agree with Fan4life, the line did a good job with protection, they have had some growing pains but have played well lately. We did not use a leed blocker more than a couple of times in the second half, with the linebackers UNO has, they were quick to fill the holes.

Bow could not hit a target (at least 6 passes to open WR's were in the turf), I was excited to see if he could go, but it was obvious early he is not 100%. The Defense was on the field way too long (38 min), the offense only ran 54 plays vs UNO's 83. We did not adjust to Denney who was the primary reciever whenever he was on the field and was thrown to almost every time. He was tough for one D-back to cover.

What to do about QB? How is Belmore's health? Manke looked good at times rough at others, his picks were bad throws, but he did not get a chance to run the real offense in the second half of the Mankato game. The play book was opened up and we were 2nd or 3rd and long every series and did not get him the real game time he needs.