SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. UNO

Smoggy

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Solid defense, inconsistent offense: 2000.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In 2000, UND actually led the NCC in scoring offense with just under 34 per game (conference games only). This year, it appears that the offense will average under 20 per game in conference play, and will likely finish 6th in that category. With an unsettled quarterback situation, no receivers returning next year with big stats, the loss of the primary ball carrier of the past two years, and the need to replace two linemen, there will be a lot of work to do this spring to make this offense something that is a strength rather than a liability.

In 2000, UND actually led the NCC in scoring offense with just under 34 per game (conference games only).  This year, it appears that the offense will average under 20 per game in conference play, and will likely finish 6th in that category.

The 2000 team put up the points, but didn't they always leave you feeling like they just didn't get the key drive when the defense needed it? I felt like just a little more consistency at key times would have made 2000 more special.

With an unsettled quarterback situation, ...

Dan Freund. :D How can you go wrong with a QB named FreUND? :silly:

no receivers returning next year with big stats, ...

Sounds like this year. Clearly opportunity is there. Who steps up? Side bar: The receivers are small. If the QB needs a bigger target in key situations there are these guys called tight ends ....

the loss of the primary ball carrier of the past two years,

This is my biggest concern area (especially after the injury to Alan Sundby).

and the need to replace two linemen,

That's actually better than what we had to do this year.

UND offense against its four non-conference opponents--43 ppg

UND offense against first five conference opponents--18.6 ppg

One the one hand, perhaps the huge difference could be explained away by the contention that the conference teams are just generally better than the non-conference opponents. But could it also be that our offense has become so predictable that perhaps conference teams know exactly what to expect and are better able to defend it? Is there really any excuse for not putting up bigger point totals against lower level NCC teams like Augie and Mankato?

I realize predictability does not in and of itself preclude offensive success, with UNO being a prime example of that. They're arguably even more predictable than we are, and yet they can seem to run the ball and score a lot of points year after year (except, apparently, for in the playoffs, where they never seem to win).

So my question is, are our offensive problems due to a scheme that no longer works as well as perhaps it once did; is it a problem of not having enough talent or experiece on offense; or is it simply faulty execution? It seems clear to me that it's not simply a quarterback issue. Inconsistent quarterback play certainly hasn't helped matters, but the running game hasn't been all that strong, either. Being last or second-to-last in the NCC in nearly every offensive category should never happen, in my opinion.

UND offense against its four non-conference opponents--43 ppg

UND offense against first five conference opponents--18.6 ppg

One the one hand, perhaps the huge difference could be explained away by the contention that the conference teams are just generally better than the non-conference opponents. But could it also be that our offense has become so predictable that perhaps conference teams know exactly what to expect and are better able to defend it? Is there really any excuse for not putting up bigger point totals against lower level NCC teams like Augie and Mankato?

I realize predictability does not in and of itself preclude offensive success, with UNO being a prime example of that. They're arguably even more predictable than we are, and yet they can seem to run the ball and score a lot of points year after year (except, apparently, for in the playoffs).

So my question is, are our offensive problems due to a scheme that no longer works as well as perhaps it once did; is it a problem of not having enough talent or experiece on offense; or is it simply faulty execution? It seems clear to me that it's not simply a quarterback issue. Inconsistent quarterback play certainly hasn't helped matters, but the running game hasn't been all that strong, either. Being last or second-to-last in the NCC in nearly every offensive category should never happen, in my opinion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QB play is always a factor, but it is hard to have consistency when there is someone new behind center. We can't look at one half or even one game and decide how good or bad a QB is. Everyone should improve with playing time, but now we need someone to make some plays.

The scheme is the most inconsistent part of our offense, I know you want to "keep em guessing", but it seems that once something works we often don't go back to it. The 2back running game worked for a TD in the 3rd quarter at SCSU, we never used it again. At UNO we ran a one back offense the whole 2nd half, they used a 4-4-3 def with good LB's that filled the holes with no leed blocker to move them and no downfield passing threat to keep them back. Why do we need 4 WR's before we feel we can throw?

If I can sit in the stands, and based on personnel, know what UND is running, the other team is doing it too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And that would support why we can move the ball against a team like Ferris St., who had pretty decent talent on defense, but not against a team like Augie, who has struggled badly in conference play this year. Every team in the NCC knows exactly what we're trying to do, and we apparently don't have enough talent right now to score points with the schemes we're currently using against teams that are familiar with us. I just don't think that having a great defense necessarily means that you have to have a conservative, predictable, low-risk offense. That kind of offense can work if you have superior talent, but if not, it's a problem.

I just don't think that having a great defense necessarily means that you have to have a conservative, predictable, low-risk offense. That kind of offense can work if you have superior talent, but if not, it's a problem.

The problem?

Running a non-conservative offense usually starts with a healthy, skilled QB. :silly:

All teams fans seem to talk like this when things are not going well.

UND is not a power running team, so the QB play is crucial. This season UND hasn't really run the ball consistantly, which probably is for several different reasons. In games when the QB is playing poorly UND can't score. UND's struggles on offense almost all seems to be directly related to QB play. If the QB plays well UND will win, if he doesn't play well the UND defense has to completely shut the other team down in order to win, which hasn't happened in both losses this season.

A team like UNO can often get by without having good QB play, but UND's offense needs to have consistant play out of that position to win games.

A healthy Bowenkamp gives UND the best chance to win, but if he isn't completely healthy he doesn't and should not play.

I really think the offensive struggles are mostly to do with the quarterback position. You just can't start three different guys in one season and expect to have much offensive continuity, especially when you run a pro style/west coast offense. IMO, the offensive line has been solid all year and although the skill position talent isn't overwhelming, it is adequate.

When you really analyze the situation, this is the 2nd time in three years that UND has lost an outstanding senior quarterback to essentially a season ending injury. When you look at 2002 and all of the close losses in conference play, having Klosterman would probably have meant some more wins and I don't think we'd be having this discussion right now if Bowenkamp would have been healthy this season.

In UND's offense, having an experienced quarterback is huge. Just look at the improvement both Klosterman and Bowenkamp made in their second season starting. I think the offensive scheme is good and is tough to defend when everything is in place. But sometimes you need a little luck and the injury bug has definitely bitten UND at the quarterback position recently. On the bright side, maybe we can look back a year from now and talk about how valuable the game experience was to Belmore and Manke in having a good offense in 2005.

Hey...its good to wish and what not. Bowenkamp isnt going to be 100 percent. He sat out how many weeks, and wasnt. WHen he throws he tears it. He probably has digressed in progress. It shouldnt even be an option. It now comes to Reed or Belmore. I would like to see Reed. With a opened up playbook I feel his decisionmaking is better than Belmores, and Reed is a quarterback who has played in and won big games. Belmore to date still has never won a big game.

But as far as John Goes, he is a gonner. Thanks for the memories. Good luck in business, its been a hell of a ride.