SiouxSports.com Forum

Exhibition with the Beavers. Oct. 2nd.

Wilbur

Some thoughts from last nights game:

- fairly sloppy game on both ends of the ice, passing/playmaking was atrocious, D coverage (both O and D) was brutal at times

- Sanderson will need some help, he’s a great skater but this isn’t squirts, he’ll need to zing it around a bit.

- Down the middle we look a bit weak. I didn’t look up official stats but every time I was paying attention we seemed to lose draws.

- on a more positive note, that Jandric kid looks really skilled/deceptive. Not sure if he was the one out of place all the time but really like his skill set. Should be fun to watch this year. Driscoll didn’t get tested a ton, but when he did it was beyond a Grade A, he looked as good as advertised.

overall it was game one. Get budy in there as well as Moore and the skill goes up a bit. Really miss Weatherby down the middle.

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Some thoughts from last nights game:

- fairly sloppy game on both ends of the ice, passing/playmaking was atrocious, D coverage (both O and D) was brutal at times

- Sanderson will need some help, he’s a great skater but this isn’t squirts, he’ll need to zing it around a bit.

- Down the middle we look a bit weak. I didn’t look up official stats but every time I was paying attention we seemed to lose draws.

- on a more positive note, that Jandric kid looks really skilled/deceptive. Not sure if he was the one out of place all the time but really like his skill set. Should be fun to watch this year. Driscoll didn’t get tested a ton, but when he did it was beyond a Grade A, he looked as good as advertised.

overall it was game one. Get budy in there as well as Moore and the skill goes up a bit. Really miss Weatherby down the middle.

I agree with your take. I hope they really emphasize the play just inside and outside both bluelines this week. Tons of turnovers in these areas on both sides of the ice. Lots of times tonight I saw the puck either needing to be dumped in or banged out and instead we tried to get cute and turned it over.

As far as Jandric, I agree he looks like he could be a good one. I made mention that he was really confident with the puck and will only get better game by game. Remember he hasn't played a game in something like 18 months. 

Driscoll looked really good. Solid positionally and ate up a lot of pucks with great rebound controll. 

Lastly, this is going to be a team that struggles to score like most of us predicted. I think if we get 3 we have a chance to win most games but I'm not sure how often we are going to get there. 

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Down the middle we look a bit weak. I didn’t look up official stats but every time I was paying attention we seemed to lose draws.

Faceoffs were 28-27 UND. Connor Ford was 14-8 (.636). Matteo Costantini was 5-1 (.833). 

On 10/2/2021 at 10:07 PM, Oxbow6 said:

Looked like Ethan caught an elbow to the chin end of 3rd. Went down the tunnel. Didn't come back out.

I didn't see that. 

I wondered why 25 was out for the last 0:33 of the game with 26. <-- That's two lefties and you normally want a L/R combo in that situation. 

On defense, clearly, 2 and 6 are going to be works in progress. Both have the vibe 4 gave me at the start of last year. You see the ability, but not the game smarts yet. (2 had a not great +/- when he was at RPI. I can see why with a couple plays he tried.) 

33 is as advertised, ... but we don't have to keep proving it by sending clean breakaways at him. Good grief. 

13 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

On defense, clearly, 2 and 6 are going to be works in progress. Both have the vibe 4 gave me at the start of last year. You see the ability, but not the game smarts yet. (2 had a not great +/- when he was at RPI. I can see why with a couple plays he tried.) 

33 is as advertised, ... but we don't have to keep proving it by sending clean breakaways at him. Good grief. 

Moore will take that spot