SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (2-8, 1-0) vs Kansas City (4-6, 0-1) 1/3 330 (Game 2)

SWSiouxMN

As a fan of Summit league basketball and an observer that had NDSU's game on the computer (horrible feed by the way) and UND's game on Midco 2, UND is definitely lacking a scoring threat outside of Rebraca. I think you need to have someone capable of hitting a 3 consistently to take the pressure off PR. Right now that threat isn't there. DAE is a good player but I really don't think he is an all conference type player. Everybody is trying to catch SDSU right now anyway, so this year and next, especially if SDSU keeps Wilson, it will be tough for anybody to overtake them anyway.

3 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

As a fan of Summit league basketball and an observer that had NDSU's game on the computer (horrible feed by the way) and UND's game on Midco 2, UND is definitely lacking a scoring threat outside of Rebraca. I think you need to have someone capable of hitting a 3 consistently to take the pressure off PR. Right now that threat isn't there. DAE is a good player but I really don't think he is an all conference type player. Everybody is trying to catch SDSU right now anyway, so this year and next, especially if SDSU keeps Wilson, it will be tough for anybody to overtake them anyway.

This is accurate.  UND doesn't have anyone capable of driving the ball consistently either.

4 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Correct.  Complain about recruiting.  His coaching would probably be OK if he had some wings that could score.

There are very few local kids that can play D1 basketball, but when they come along you have to at least recruit them. I think NDSU has a few on the roster that can be contributors. I think Jones failed by not going after Harden Hayes at all. He is not a star but is athletic and will hit a high percentage of open 3’s. I am pretty sure Sather did offer Grant Nelson from Devils Lake but am not positive. That kid isn’t there yet but his potential is very high. Those two kids would help UND right now. 

18 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

There are very few local kids that can play D1 basketball, but when they come along you have to at least recruit them. I think NDSU has a few on the roster that can be contributors. I think Jones failed by not going after Harden Hayes at all. He is not a star but is athletic and will hit a high percentage of open 3’s. I am pretty sure Sather did offer Grant Nelson from Devils Lake but am not positive. That kid isn’t there yet but his potential is very high. Those two kids would help UND right now. 

I went back and looked and did offer both Nelson and the kid from Jamestown.

Jones was too busy in Iowa to care what was going on in Moorhead

Since we become member of Summit conference its always been that everyone is talking about SDSU but for most part they have been good team but by end of year somebody comes along and knocks them in conference tournament. The difference in number of these teams is not that much and if any team has off night and other is on it can end in upset. I think alot of this has todo with most of the teams are made up younger players and its hard to get consistent play night in night out. I look at Und they have couple players i think by end of the season will be hitting the outside shot but this team is young team with no seniors on the team  and it makes big difference to have senior leadership. UND top seven only Rebraca  and DAE have experience playing in the conference and DAE is only about 85 to 90% coming off injury.  KC plays a game where they foul and play physical basketball wearing you down and i believe that what's happened Sunday it showed from the beginning of the game we were slower and showed up in our free throw shooting. This team I think is going to get tougher mentally and physically as season goes along and I think Sather has been working on them to get better in this regard. Last years team was led by three seniors and NDSU was senior led to and both reached conference finals but this year in Summit there is no team that is senior dominate so it should be interesting year.

Both games this weekend were tough to watch from an offensive standpoint. It was made clear we have to find other scoring options minus Rebraca. There was way too much dribbling around the perimeter and not enough penetration. Ihenacho needs to look to score more than he does. He's very athletics and young, i get it, but he needs to start trying to get to the basket more. Free throw shooting definitely needs to be addressed as well. 

21 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

I'll never complain about a Summit League feed after years of watching the Big Sky ones.  The SUU feed always made my head hurt with their stupid replays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FightingSioux87 said:

Both games this weekend were tough to watch from an offensive standpoint. It was made clear we have to find other scoring options minus Rebraca. There was way too much dribbling around the perimeter and not enough penetration. Ihenacho needs to look to score more than he does. He's very athletics and young, i get it, but he needs to start trying to get to the basket more. Free throw shooting definitely needs to be addressed as well. 

Getting a 100% DAE will help with scoring for sure, and hopefully the Sunday game will springboard him a little bit.  Outside of him:  Sims/Sueker/Ihenacho/G/Igbanugo/Nero.  One or two of these 6 players needs to get into a consistent scoring level where we can go (hey, he will give you x amount a points a night and feel comfortable).  Guard play needs to step up.

Free throw shooting is too inconsistent.  Nero, G and Sueker can shoot it fine, DAE is okay,  I don't have UND insider so I can't go and watch back any games from last year but can we compare Rebraca's form from Sophomore to this year and see if there is any noticeable difference? 

There needs to be more "off the ball" movement, more cutting towards the middle, the basket, off the ball screens, etc.  They need to get skip passes going. 

Ihenacho will get better and will continue to learn.  

12 minutes ago, Kab said:

This offense reminds me too much of Jones and his Princeton offense which didn’t work

sure miss being able to drive to the bucket like marlon could do 

Oh god, lets not bring up that nightmare.... its not that bad, nothing can ever be that bad.  

<trying to wash away a 15 point defeat to Mayville <BLEEPING> State from my memories>

I glad that got scrapped when Huff and company showed up. 

Just now, SWSiouxMN said:

So the next three weeks is this

@ ORU

NDSU

@ SDSU

After these three weeks, UND will be what record in conference play?

If something doesn’t change, I think we will be pretty lucky to sneak out 1 win. Maybe that’s being pretty negative but all three of those teams are very good. Best bet against NDSU I would think. 

2 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

If something doesn’t change, I think we will be pretty lucky to sneak out 1 win. Maybe that’s being pretty negative but all three of those teams are very good. Best bet against NDSU I would think. 

I would think so as well, its plausible they can steal one down in Tulsa as well. 

This was always going to be the tough part of the schedule no matter how good or bad they were playing. 

I'll say they are 3-5 (stay away COVID)

I wasn’t really able to watch the last two games other than some highlights and checking out stats. Looks like Shockey didn’t get any minutes. Glad this doesn’t count against eligibility but hopefully he gets that fiery attitude back I saw in his highlights next year. Looked pretty lost out there at times this year. 

3 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I wasn’t really able to watch the last two games other than some highlights and checking out stats. Looks like Shockey didn’t get any minutes. Glad this doesn’t count against eligibility but hopefully he gets that fiery attitude back I saw in his highlights next year. Looked pretty lost out there at times this year. 

He had that one decent outing against Miami and then... not a lot. 

The SIU and Drake games were extremely tough for him.  

Who was the player that could fly high when we beat NDSu in grand forks

he had an ally oop dunk towards the end of the game.

‘I was standing by gene Taylor when that happened, the look on his face was priceless when that happened and we won

i was thinking Mitchel?

7 hours ago, Kab said:

Who was the player that could fly high when we beat NDSu in grand forks

he had an ally oop dunk towards the end of the game.

‘I was standing by gene Taylor when that happened, the look on his face was priceless when that happened and we won

i was thinking Mitchel?

That would have been 2012 at the Ralph.  That was a fun one