SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2004/05 Updates

jk

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Brian Lee faces the same issue in high school that Matt Greene faces at the college level now. Lee's game suffers at the high school level because the ref's call a penalty if he even thinks about throwing a check on someone.

The kid I like on the Moorhead team is Jordy Christian. This kid can fly, has tremendous puck skills and see's the ice extremely well. He's not very big but he's only a 10th grader so if he adds a little more size along with developing his hockey skills he will be the next great recruit out of Moorhead.

15-0 Moorhead over Monticello tonight in MHD. Lee with a hat trick for sure, maybe a couple of assists. Not sure on Vandevelde, for sure got some points, like everyone else on the team. Next up is Alexandria, 3-2 winners tonight against Bemidji. Saturday's game is in MHD. Anyone know where the Section final will be played ? Was in St. Cloud last year, be nice if it was closer.

15-0 Moorhead over Monticello tonight in MHD. Lee with a hat trick for sure, maybe a couple of assists. Not sure on Vandevelde, for sure got some points, like everyone else on the team. Next up is Alexandria, 3-2 winners tonight against Bemidji. Saturday's game is in MHD. Anyone know where the Section final will be played ? Was in St. Cloud last year, be nice if it was closer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its in St. Cloud again, on the 24th.

Pretty impressive to have 3 Sioux recruits in the MN Mr. Hockey nominees:

Mr. Hockey finalists: R.J. Anderson of defending Class AA state champion Centennial is one of five defensemen who are among the 10 finalists for the Mr. Hockey Award. Brian Lee of Moorhead, Matt Niskanen of Virginia, Brian Connelly of Bloomington Jefferson and Jared Hummel of Holy Angels are the other defensemen.

Forward Chris Vandevelde gives Moorhead two finalists. Warroad, the state's only undefeated team, is represented by T.J. Oshie. The other forwards are New Prague's Matt Ambroz, Breck's Robby Dee and Mitch Ryan of Cloquet/Esko/Carlton.

Alec Richards of Breck was announced as the winner of the Frank Brimsek Award, which goes to the top senior goalie.

Pioneer Press Article

15-0 Moorhead over Monticello tonight in MHD. Lee with a hat trick for sure, maybe a couple of assists. Not sure on Vandevelde, for sure got some points, like everyone else on the team.

Someone on USCHO posted the boxscore, so here it is:

FIRST PERIOD: 1, Lee (C. Johnson, Becker) :24. 2, Fisher (Barta) 4:08 (pp). 3, Christian (T. Johnson) 6:23. 4, Fisher (VandeVelde, Clukey) 7:16. 5, Krause (Ammerman, Barta) 10:45. 6, C. Johnson (Ammerman, Barta) 12:59 (sh). 7, Becker (C. Johnson, Ammerman) 16:30.

SECOND PERIOD: 8, Loos (C. Johnson, Becker) 5:36. 9, Fisher (VandeVelde, Clukey) 8:34. 10, Lee (Nitzkorski) 9:03. 11, Deitz (Clukey) 15:13.

THIRD PERIOD: 12, Deitz (Clukey, VandeVelde) 4:47. 13, Christian (Krause, Miller) 9:03. 14, Foss (Deitz) 14:06. 15, Lee (Christian, Miller).

SAVES: Monticello, Scheinbien 17-13-8--38. Moorhead, Deutz 4-7-2--13.

The shots were 52-13.

Lee with a 3-0-3 (including the GWG 24 seconds into the game)

VandeVelde with a 0-3-3

Someone on USCHO posted the boxscore, so here it is:

FIRST PERIOD: 1, Lee (C. Johnson, Becker) :24. 2, Fisher (Barta) 4:08 (pp). 3, Christian (T. Johnson) 6:23. 4, Fisher (VandeVelde, Clukey) 7:16. 5, Krause (Ammerman, Barta) 10:45. 6, C. Johnson (Ammerman, Barta) 12:59 (sh). 7, Becker (C. Johnson, Ammerman) 16:30.

SECOND PERIOD: 8, Loos (C. Johnson, Becker) 5:36. 9, Fisher (VandeVelde, Clukey) 8:34. 10, Lee (Nitzkorski) 9:03. 11, Deitz (Clukey) 15:13.

THIRD PERIOD: 12, Deitz (Clukey, VandeVelde) 4:47. 13, Christian (Krause, Miller) 9:03. 14, Foss (Deitz) 14:06. 15, Lee (Christian, Miller).

SAVES: Monticello, Scheinbien 17-13-8--38. Moorhead, Deutz 4-7-2--13.

The shots were 52-13.

Lee with a 3-0-3 (including the GWG 24 seconds into the game)

VandeVelde with a 0-3-3

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Moorhead played their 4th line a lot, plus filled in some shifts with JV players. Deitz and Nitzkorski would each have been near the top scorers if they played in ND - they are very good sophomores, not much of a difference between them and Christian IMO.

The goal by Lee at the end of the game came after Monticello called a TO :0 Why they called TO when they were down 14-0 with 40 seconds left is beyond me.

Monticello is much better than they were last year, but Moorhead really layed off. They let Fisher and Lee get their hatricks (I think firsts for each this year), and let the 10th graders score, but the rest of the team spent most of the time playing keep away. Of course this is just from listening to the game and from what some family members said, so anyone actually at the game probably has a better opinion than me.

Moorhead played their 4th line a lot, plus filled in some shifts with JV players. Deitz and Nitzkorski would each have been near the top scorers if they played in ND - they are very good sophomores, not much of a difference between them and Christian IMO.

The goal by Lee at the end of the game came after Monticello called a TO :0 Why they called TO when they were down 14-0 with 40 seconds left is beyond me.

Monticello is much better than they were last year, but Moorhead really layed off. They let Fisher and Lee get their hatricks (I think firsts for each this year), and let the 10th graders score, but the rest of the team spent most of the time playing keep away. Of course this is just from listening to the game and from what some family members said, so anyone actually at the game probably has a better opinion than me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure but I think Lee had a hattrick in the first game of the season. Also, I was at the game and Ammerman reminded me alot of Keith Ballard with his style. Forgive me for not keeping up on the recruiting status, but does anyone know where he's committed to? My guess is Duluth.

Ammerman hasn't committed to anyone yet.  Rumors are that Ammerman will go to Duluth though in order to get out of Lee's shadow.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First he needs an offer. I doubt any of the top schools are going to give an offer till they see him play at the junior level.

Is there any place where one can go to see who was previous years' Mr. Hockey award winners?  I'd be interested in knowing who last year's winner was and where he is playing, if he is, at this moment.

Last years winner was Gorowsky who is playing for Sioux Falls (I think) and is going to WI next year. He would have been at WI this year but he had a knee injury. He also played in the USHL all-star game in GF.

Is there any place where one can go to see who was previous years' Mr. Hockey award winners?  I'd be interested in knowing who last year's winner was and where he is playing, if he is, at this moment.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a pretty impressive list:

2004 - Tom Gorowsky

2003 - Nate Dey

2002 - Gino Guyer

2001 - Marty Sertich

2000 - Paul Martin

1999 - Jeff Taffe

1998 - John Pohl

1997 - Aaron Miskovich

1996 - Dave Spehar

1995 - Erik Rasmussen

1994 - Mike Crowley

1993 - Nick Checco

1992 - Brian Bonin

1991 - Darby Hendrickson

1990 - Joe Dziedzic

1989 - Trent Klatt

1988 - Larry Olimb

1987 - Kris Miller

1986 - George Pelawa

1985 - Tom Chorske

If my memory is correct, there was talk that he could have gone straight to the NHL from high school. He was an outstanding player, and huge. Something like 6 feet and some odd inches and in the 240# neighborhood.

That 1987 team was awfully good. With big George on the team, it could have been scary.

Is Pelawa the player that died in a car accident prior to the 87 season starting?

Sounds familiar.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep your correct. It was the Memorial Holiday Weekend, Joe and George were returning home early in the morning and got into a car accident.

On the TJ OSHIE FRONT: I just heard from some one that I work with that T.J. Oshie has only been skating 3 years or something close to that. Does anyone know if that is true? Can someone give me the straight low down on that. That sound kind of fishy if you ask me.

Edited by Goon