SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2004/05 Updates

jk

The updated SSM stats after their weekend in GF for the Midget Tourney. They won all 3 of their games; 5-3 over the Kings, 8-2 over Chicago, and 8-1 over Team Illinois.

04 Taylor Chorney Defense 12 4-27-87 5'11" 180 Hastings, MN 48 4 28 32 50

08 Kyle Okposo Forward 11 4-16-88 6' 195 St. Paul, MN 47 36 32 68 50

09 Jonathan Toews Forward 12 4-29-88 6'1" 180 Winnipeg, MB 46 36 43 79 28

10 Michael Gergen Forward 12 2-17-87 5'11" 185 Hastings, MN 50 45 36 81 82

21 Charles Genoway Forward 12 12-20-86 5'9" 170 Morden, MB 47 17 29 46 36

Gergen still leads Toews by 2 points with 4 games more played.

Okposo's pace has slowed down compared to Toews/Gergen, as he is now 11 pts behind Jonathan.

Chorney was playing again after not playing during last weekend's games.

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was referring to the tournament driscol referenced above. Play begins today, and I think the U.S.'s first game is tomorrow. Chorney was added to that team, and sprig wondered whether Toews was playing for Canada. I was just letting him know that Canada is not playing in the tournament under discussion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Answers my question and gives me even more info. Nice to have a board with so many that know something (or look it up), as opposed to USCHO.

When team USA adds players like Chroney, does someone who is in the Ann Arbor program stay home or is it for players that have left or got injured?

Zack Parise was always added to them teams. If they need to add players makes you wonder why we need them Developmental programs in the first place.

hmm...it apparently isn't sufficient to characterize some members of the current crop of UND defensemen as "stupid", there now appears to be good reason to include incoming recruits and potential recruits in that category, as well...all in the spirit of doing what's best for UND hockey...nice going BRINGDEANBACK, you've raised the bar to breathtaking heights when it comes to public ridicule of athletes who don't measure up to your expectations...may I suggest in your campaign to invite only certain types of players to wear green, you focus next on physical attractiveness, and begin to work the word "ugly" into your astute analyses of players...then a really awful defenseman could be labeled both ugly and stupid, and those of us who care about the Sioux would be put on notice that its time to pile on that particular player...

In fact, it would be a beautiful and wonderfully constructive thing for the Fighting Sioux if, at the next home game, you stood up with signs that read "UGLY" and "STUPID" and led those of us less sophisticated hockey fans in cheers directed personally at those players who fall short (or should I say "tall) of your requirements for intelligence and physical beauty...yes, and if that tactic proves as successful as I'm sure it would, we could then take it on the road whenever Shattuck happens to be playing...from there, bantams is fertile territory...after all, a kid can't ever learn too early that he is ugly and stupid, can he?

... ahh, BDB, I want you to know that you are my hero...a real ballsy fella who anonymously launches personal attacks on young men who are undeserving of wearing the green....I would love to meet you in person some time and tell you how much you mean to me...and then I would knock you on your fxxxxxx axx...go climb back down your rodent hole.

hmm...it apparently isn't sufficient to characterize some members of the current crop of UND defensemen as "stupid", there now appears to be good reason to include incoming recruits and potential recruits in that category, as well...all in the spirit of doing what's best for UND hockey...nice going BRINGDEANBACK, you've raised the bar to breathtaking heights when it comes to public ridicule of athletes  who don't measure up to your expectations...may I suggest in your campaign to invite only certain types of players to wear green, you focus next on physical attractiveness, and begin to work the word "ugly" into your astute analyses of players...then a really awful defenseman could be labeled both ugly and stupid, and those of us who care about the Sioux would be put on notice that its time to pile on that particular player...

In fact, it would be a beautiful and wonderfully constructive thing for the Fighting Sioux if, at the next home game, you stood up with signs that read "UGLY" and "STUPID" and led those of us less sophisticated hockey fans in cheers directed personally at those players who fall short (or should I say "tall) of your requirements for intelligence and physical beauty...yes, and if that tactic proves as successful as I'm sure it would, we could then take it on the road whenever Shattuck happens to be playing...from there, bantams is fertile territory...after all, a kid can't ever learn too early that he is ugly and stupid, can he?

... ahh, BDB, I want you to know that you are my hero...a real ballsy fella who anonymously launches personal attacks on young men who are undeserving of wearing the green....I would love to meet you in person some time and tell you how much you mean to me...and then I would knock you on your fxxxxxx axx...go climb back down your rodent hole.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do not know where you learned to read. Where in my posts did I say that D-men are ugly or stupid? You are jumping to conclusions that make zero sense. I believe that I said they take stupid penalties. Smart people can make stupid mistakes. However, big d-men are not a good fit for the college game. And if you are a big d-man playing college, you must realize that the refs will not cut you any slack. This is noithing new, guys like Commodore and D. Hale had to deal with it and the current crop should expect to deal with it too. If it helps, Kyle Radke has started to win me over with his play. It is obvious that he is the only D-man with legitimate offensive potential.

As evidenced by your threat of physical harm, I am sorry for ruining your night with an opinion that is different than your own. If your are having a bad day tomorrow, feel free to take another one of my posts out of context and threaten me again.

BDB - You can sure dish it out, but it is hard to swallow when the focus is on you. How does it feel to publicly defend yourself? Thank you for proving my point.

It is ironic that you are responding to a post that may contain an inaccuracy, may present opinion as fact, may exaggerate, and is essentially a personal attack. I suspect you feel unfairly characterized by my post. You do this day in and day out with players, coaches and recruits. How does it feel when the tables are turned? In my opinion, you have reached an all time low by going after players' physical characteristics.

I'm sorry you didn't catch the sarcasm in my post - I wasn't seriously threatening you. I thought you were an expert at sarcasm, after all you do it on these board all day long.

By the way, there is a lot going on behind the scenes that you have no clue about. Hakstol has had a full plate this year. Dean Blais would have also. Sometimes something as big as someone dying in your family may affect your game.

BDB - You can sure dish it out, but it is hard to swallow when the focus is on you. How does it feel to publicly defend yourself? Thank you for proving my point.

It is ironic that you are responding to a post that may contain an inaccuracy, may present opinion as fact, may exaggerate, and is essentially a personal attack. I suspect you feel unfairly characterized by my post. You do this day in and day out with players, coaches and recruits. How does it feel when the tables are turned? In my opinion, you have reached an all time low by going after players' physical characteristics.

I'm sorry you didn't catch the sarcasm in my post - I wasn't seriously threatening you. I thought you were an expert at sarcasm, after all you do it on these board all day long.

By the way, there is a lot going on behind the scenes that you have no clue about. Hakstol has had a full plate this year. Dean Blais would have also. Sometimes something as big as someone dying in your family may affect your game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're letting him get to you.

Anyways, our incoming defensemen are young. However our incoming defensemen are incredibly talented. The tough part is going to be the first part of next season when they are adapting to the pace of the game. It's going to be rough.

However, that being said, I think we're going to end up doing just fine. Lee, Chorney, and Jones are going to be fine defensemen. Watkins, Kozek, and Toews will be fine additions to the offense. I think we'll be fine.

Remember:

Blais barely made .500 hockey his first two seasons but then went 31-10 in his third season and won a championship. By this comparison, Hakstol is already doing better. I think UND has a very bright future.

T.J. Oshie looked quite impressive tonight against east grand forks. Warroad won 5-3. Oshie had a hatrick and an assist, one of the goals being shorthanded. I've never seen this kid play before but i gotta say, i was extremely impressed. He is as strong on his skates as anyone i've ever seen, you can't knock the kid down. Add to that that the kid has unbelievable hands and an insane puck sense. I can't wait to see what this kid is like after a year of juniors getting faster and stronger. He is going to be a huge asset to UND.

From today's GF Herald:

---------------------

"Oshie was the difference," Senior High coach Jim Scanlan said. "He's the best player I've seen in my nine years of coaching here. He sees the ice well, he uses his linemates well, and he's a sniper. Not many players can score the goals he does. Actually, nobody does."

---------------------

It's just Class A HS hockey, so Oshie has some serious adjusting to do when the competition gets tougher, but it's nice to read such praise from an opposing coach. I'm excited to see if Oshie is able to have a presence in the USHL after the HS season ends.

T.J. Oshie looked quite impressive tonight against east grand forks.  Warroad won 5-3.  Oshie had a hatrick and an assist, one of the goals being shorthanded.  I've never seen this kid play before but i gotta say, i was extremely impressed.  He is as strong on his skates as anyone i've ever seen,  you can't knock the kid down.  Add to that that the kid has unbelievable hands and an insane puck sense.  I can't wait to see what this kid is like after a year of juniors getting faster and stronger.  He is going to be a huge asset to UND.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oshie is a great player. He stood out and was one of the leading scorers on the Elite 1 team that played this fall which also included a number of Moorhead kids, including Chris Vandevelde. What I like about him is that in addition to those things you stated above, he goes 100% every shift, including the defensive zone.

Final Regular season stats for Mhd and Wrd D1 prospects - (3 Sioux recruits, with the potential for a few more)

MHD

Chris VandeVelde Sr Fc 27-26-53

Cory Loos Sr Fw 25-10-35

Drew Fisher Sr Fc 16-19-35

Ryan Clukey Sr Fw 13-18-31

Cory Johnson Sr Fc 8-20-28

Matt Becker Sr Fw 8-17-22

Jordy Christian So Fw 6- 6-12

Jon Ammerman Sr D 9-29-38

Brian Lee Sr D 8-17-25

Lee obviously missed a few games for the WJ tourny. Johnson missed 4 or 5 games and Loos missed a few with injuries.

Warroad

TJ Oshie Sr Fc 30-52-82

Ben Bengston Sr Fw 30-23-53

Josh Brodeen Sr Fc 20-24-44

Joe Harren Jr Fc 6- 9-15

Aaron Marvin So Fc 16-25-41

Kyle Hardwick Sr D 13-40-53

Eric Olimb Sr D 11-34-45

I included Harren because I believe he was injured a good part of the year - he is a very good player despite his low #'s. Marvin may be the best Sophomore in the state.

Final Regular season stats for Mhd and Wrd D1 prospects - (3 Sioux recruits, with the potential for a few more)

MHD

Chris VandeVelde        Sr Fc  27-26-53                   

Jon Ammerman              Sr D    9-29-38         

Brian Lee                  Sr D    8-17-25   

Lee obviously missed a few games for the WJ tourny.  Johnson missed 4 or 5 games and Loos missed a few with injuries.         

Warroad

TJ Oshie                    Sr Fc  30-52-82         

Ben Bengston            Sr Fw  30-23-53                     

Kyle Hardwick            Sr D    13-40-53           

Eric Olimb                  Sr D    11-34-45           

Just a few quick questions for those that are "in the know" with MN HS hockey, but what is with the huge difference in point levels for these two schools? I was led to believe that they are two of the best schools in their sections. Moorhead's leading scorer has 53 pts, while Warroad's leading scorer has almost 30 more points. And I thought that Lee was an offensive dman? Hardwick and Olimb from Warroad have 20 or more points than him. Did he miss that many games due to the WJC's? Heck, Hardwick has the same amount of points that VandeVelde has....

Thanks in advance for your help!

The main reason the Moorehead players don't have as many points as the Warroad players is simply because Moorehead plays one of the hardest schedules in the state. They play all the big dogs in class AA and sometimes even twice in the case of White Bear Lake. Warroad is class A and probably plays very few AA powerhouses except they did play Moorehead and tie them this year.