SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Season

SWSiouxMN

1 minute ago, nodak651 said:

This, with "almost" being the key word.  Not a fan of Chaves so far and he comes off as having too much of a lackadaisical, go with the flow, approach to being an AD (based on his und/soccer podcast).  UND Womens teams continuously underperforming - Chaves: Oh garsh!  Well the Summit is a strong conference and we're just getting aclimated... better luck next year... nothing we can do differently... external factors are the problem.. :whistling: 

I don't think it's time to bail on Coach Tiffin quite yet. It's only the start of his second season. He's lost of bunch of experience in the past 6-7 months that wasn't part of the plan, and one could argue, not his fault. The timing of his hiring meant he didn't get a full shot at recruiting his first summer and this past summer had to be a mess for recruiting. Not being competitive against SU doesn't help, but I don't think it's fair to give up on him right now. He's got some of his people in the pipeline, let's see how they do with some experience. 

28 minutes ago, undVBfan said:

I don't think it's time to bail on Coach Tiffin quite yet. It's only the start of his second season. He's lost of bunch of experience in the past 6-7 months that wasn't part of the plan, and one could argue, not his fault. The timing of his hiring meant he didn't get a full shot at recruiting his first summer and this past summer had to be a mess for recruiting. Not being competitive against SU doesn't help, but I don't think it's fair to give up on him right now. He's got some of his people in the pipeline, let's see how they do with some experience. 

100% agree.  

I am not picking on Tiffin but wondering what level of support is coming to the Women's programs in recent years its just not scholarships  but total effort to recruit players here to UND. I know there is no expense left for us recruit hockey players and amount of support i believe its like no where else in  the country but the question lies at what expense to other UND sports. Yes hockey generates a lot of revenue but i still think this UND athletics is team effort in developing quality sports department.  I know there other ideas and feelings on this but UND in the past was known for more than being hockey school we had highly regarded football, basketball, and volleyball programs and we were starting to build programs in soccer and softball. I believe this all can be achieved.

15 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I am not picking on Tiffin but wondering what level of support is coming to the Women's programs in recent years its just not scholarships  but total effort to recruit players here to UND. I know there is no expense left for us recruit hockey players and amount of support i believe its like no where else in  the country but the question lies at what expense to other UND sports. Yes hockey generates a lot of revenue but i still think this UND athletics is team effort in developing quality sports department.  I know there other ideas and feelings on this but UND in the past was known for more than being hockey school we had highly regarded football, basketball, and volleyball programs and we were starting to build programs in soccer and softball. I believe this all can be achieved.

with the new federal legislation...."women's" sports is dead anyways they just don't know it yet.

Do you think they are going to let this transgender policies destroy women's sports in US after 40 plus years of title 9 to get women's sports to where it is now. I just don't think they will let go that far. I think politics will change when they see it could change  women's sports across America were already seeing some work on this at state level and i got to believe people common sense is going to prevail. Also i don't see how this will translate to world women's sports because if this happens it will kill that also. Its going to be interesting but when the average American who see where there is no opportunity for girls to compete and get scholarship to go school are going to become quite vocal and also become a political issue.

16 hours ago, ND-fan said:

Do you think they are going to let this transgender policies destroy women's sports in US after 40 plus years of title 9 to get women's sports to where it is now. I just don't think they will let go that far. I think politics will change when they see it could change  women's sports across America were already seeing some work on this at state level and i got to believe people common sense is going to prevail. Also i don't see how this will translate to world women's sports because if this happens it will kill that also. Its going to be interesting but when the average American who see where there is no opportunity for girls to compete and get scholarship to go school are going to become quite vocal and also become a political issue.

where have you been the last few years....some people wait till they see the riot that is on the tv miles away out their front window before doing something....

23 hours ago, undVBfan said:

I certainly hope that this is the case.  I like the fact that the next class is MN heavy.  There is no reason that they shouldn't be getting at least 1 player from MN yearly.  

• 1 month later...
On 3/12/2021 at 9:29 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

So after starting conference play 2-0, the women have lost 9 straight.

I haven't been able to watch as much this year so someone tell me... what the heck?

It's been a struggle, but we knew it would be. Limited recruiting and some big unplanned losses really didn't help. Next year will be a better indication of where we are going as a program. I'm still hopeful they'll start to right the ship by then. To be fair to coach I think we owe him next season for sure to see where we are going.

They've been better the second match of every series. Could be some letdown by the other team, but I also think there is some growth. But I see way too many tips and rolls, struggles between setters and hitters. No way they get better until they fix that. I don't know if it's the setting or the hitters timing, I'm not in the gym. Likely a combination of both that hopefully gets helped with time and practice.

Let's try not to be fair-weather fans and support the team during the last home series against NDSU.  

On 3/16/2021 at 6:05 PM, undVBfan said:

It's been a struggle, but we knew it would be. Limited recruiting and some big unplanned losses really didn't help. Next year will be a better indication of where we are going as a program. I'm still hopeful they'll start to right the ship by then. To be fair to coach I think we owe him next season for sure to see where we are going.

They've been better the second match of every series. Could be some letdown by the other team, but I also think there is some growth. But I see way too many tips and rolls, struggles between setters and hitters. No way they get better until they fix that. I don't know if it's the setting or the hitters timing, I'm not in the gym. Likely a combination of both that hopefully gets helped with time and practice.

Let's try not to be fair-weather fans and support the team during the last home series against NDSU.  

Are there any players that we should be excited about that have looked good during this spring season?  Has UND found some stability at the setter position?

4 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Getting tired of giving our coaches the benefit of the doubt

Tired of sucking 

blah blah blah

But we hired our assistant coach.  Chaves is doing a brilliant job.  When a coach gets fired or quits we just hire their assistant.  No need to do a national search for another one.  :glare: I want his job.  

29 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

But we hired our assistant coach.  Chaves is doing a brilliant job.  When a coach gets fired or quits we just hire their assistant.  No need to do a national search for another one.  :glare: I want his job.  

No you don't. You'll go from knowing everything to being completely clueless about everything in a New York minute.