SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 Football Season

bincitysioux

59 minutes ago, southpaw said:

I'm just using that as a hypothetical. Freund isn't going to run vertical routes every play if he doesn't have a QB who can throw.

Why is Schmidt running the same old system if he doesn't have the right type of players?

Seems we went deep quite a bit this year though.

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

I'm just using that as a hypothetical. Freund isn't going to run vertical routes every play if he doesn't have a QB who can throw.

Why is Schmidt running the same old system if he doesn't have the right type of players?

My two cents. Our guys tend to be undersized in comparison to your opponents coming in. Problem is, they stay undersized throughout their time at UND. I beat that dead strength and conditioning horse enough. We also tend to bring in the right type of players during the Bubba era but somehow, while learning Bubba and Schmitty's system the athletic ability seems to decline. Not sure what to make of it other than, the system is too complicated so, guys play hesitant due to overthinking. We need big nasty mean mother sucker in the trenches on both side of the ball. Teams that control the LOS win ball games. Period.

32 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

My two cents. Our guys tend to be undersized in comparison to your opponents coming in. Problem is, they stay undersized throughout their time at UND. I beat that dead strength and conditioning horse enough. We also tend to bring in the right type of players during the Bubba era but somehow, while learning Bubba and Schmitty's system the athletic ability seems to decline. Not sure what to make of it other than, the system is too complicated so, guys play hesitant due to overthinking. We need big nasty mean mother sucker in the trenches on both side of the ball. Teams that control the LOS win ball games. Period.

I’m beating a dead horse too, but FCS football is about development.  I’m not seeing guys getting massively bigger, faster stronger.  

29 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I’m beating a dead horse too, but FCS football is about development.  I’m not seeing guys getting massively bigger, faster stronger.  

I agree with you 1000% Player development and S&C is lacking at UND. I'd argue I've seen players leave smaller unless they are a gym rat on their own.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Makes me wonder if guys know how much protein they actually need to consume to gain the weight they need. For instance, does Jaelen Johnson know he needs to consume 260g of protein a day to get his weight up to where it needs to be? 

If Jaelen Johnson gets to 260, he will be better than Mason Bennett.  I would guess Johnson has no idea how to get there.

8 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

If Jaelen Johnson gets to 260, he will be better than Mason Bennett.  I would guess Johnson has no idea how to get there.

If “Johnson has no idea how to get there” is true then we have a very sad state of affairs for non hockey UND athletics. I thought this was a minimum for our level. Somebody tell me this is not true. Please!

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Name one player who came in under an ideal weight who left smaller. 

I'm not going to let you bait me into calling out players by name on this forum because I'm more respectful than that. Plus, I'm not trying to indict student athletes that play for UND. My critique is of the S&C program. But I can name a minimum of few players that came in at a borderline ideal weight and when they left 3-4 years later, had not developed the requisite muscle mass that leads to being an explosive college football player. I've stood right next to kids as freshmen and as seniors and the eye test says the UND strength and conditioning program failed these kids. Players should come in with a high school body and leave with a D-1 football body. That hasn't been the norm the past few years.

2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I don’t think he has the frame. I think he should move to LB and gain 10 lbs if he can run well enough. He could be a Labbatt type OLB. 

2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Every DL and OL need to be 10-30 lbs heavier next season.  IMO also plays into the abundance of injuries.

By end of game at Nicholls we were the walking wounded at many positions.

All those fr DL need to have huge off seasons. I also have my doubts Pierre should be at nose. He doesn’t have the frame to carry 300 lbs. I think he’d be just fine at DE.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Old School Guy said:

I'm not going to let you bait me into calling out players by name on this forum because I'm more respectful than that. Plus, I'm not trying to indict student athletes that play for UND. My critique is of the S&C program. But I can name a minimum of few players that came in at a borderline ideal weight and when they left 3-4 years later, had not developed the requisite muscle mass that leads to being an explosive college football player. I've stood right next to kids as freshmen and as seniors and the eye test says the UND strength and conditioning program failed these kids. Players should come in with a high school body and leave with a D-1 football body. That hasn't been the norm the past few years.

So you know of multiple guys who have lost weight or not? There are always private messages to keep from calling players out by name in public.

8 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

I made my point and said what I meant. I don't have a need to further explain my comments on this topic in open forum or in private messages. But the short answer is yes.

I don’t believe you that a player who came in and wasn’t overweight left the program as a senior having lost weight. I pay pretty close attention to this. 

3 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I don’t believe you that a player who came in and wasn’t overweight left the program as a senior having lost weight. I pay pretty close attention to this. 

How about the whole OL this year. And a player that came in at an ideal weight, Johnannesson, about 225 or 230, they inexplicably ran up to 250 pounds. JJ lost a step in speed and some quickness at 250 lbs. He was plenty powerful at 225 or 230 and had more speed and was much more effective than this he was this year. . 

11 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

How about the whole OL this year. And a player that came in at an ideal weight, Johnannesson, about 225 or 230, they inexplicably ran up to 250 pounds. JJ lost a step in speed and some quickness at 250 lbs. He was plenty powerful at 225 or 230 and had more speed and was much more effective than this he was this year. . 

What about the OL this year? They all trimmed down by design because for some stupid reason the coaches thought that would be a good idea. So you’re saying Baukol accomplished a goal he was given? JJ came in and Rudy wanted him at like 250 so he bulked up? I thought guys can’t bulk up under Baukol? And yea, that was another stupid mistake by a coach but it wasn’t Baukol’s idea. I’m seriously starting to question the critical thinking skills of a lot of people on this board. I’m all for an honest critique but please try and know what you’re talking about because this is gfhockey level logic.

33 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

What about the OL this year? They all trimmed down by design because for some stupid reason the coaches thought that would be a good idea. So you’re saying Baukol accomplished a goal he was given? JJ came in and Rudy wanted him at like 250 so he bulked up? I thought guys can’t bulk up under Baukol? And yea, that was another stupid mistake by a coach but it wasn’t Baukol’s idea. I’m seriously starting to question the critical thinking skills of a lot of people on this board. I’m all for an honest critique but please try and know what you’re talking about because this is gfhockey level logic.

Then maybe Baukol needs to grow a pair and tell the coaches a featured tailback is going to lose speed and quickness if he adds 25 pounds when he is already 225. I can see s 175 lb TB needing to add  some weight, but if you have a 225 pounder, maybe you drop 5 lbs to try to add a little speed and quickness. Maybe that is on the coaches.

9 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Then maybe Baukol needs to grow a pair and tell the coaches a featured tailback is going to lose speed and quickness if he adds 25 pounds when he is already 225. I can see s 175 lb TB needing to add  some weight, but if you have a 225 pounder, maybe you drop 5 lbs to try to add a little speed and quickness. Maybe that is on the coaches.

Rudy and logic going hand in hand? I think we all know better don’t we? The same guy who wanted Cloyd bulked up to 270ish so he could block and only block? That guy?

10 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Seems we went deep quite a bit this year though.

What part about me using a hypothetical on offense to compare the inability of the current D coordinator to adjust do you not understand? 

Let's try again: Rudy wasted Santiago because he didn't adjust to John's skills. Santiago was never going to be a run up the middle kind of back, yet how many times did we see just that? No adjustment for the skills, abilities and weaknesses of a player. The offense suffered and Rudy got fired. 

Compare that to the D, where Schmidt is playing a D that requires a big body up front. If you don't have that body, you need to adjust. How many times this year did we see the 3 linemen get eaten up a single block each, then 2 LBs both get covered by their linemen, leaving 10+ yard rushes over and over. Schmidt hasn't adjusted to the modern game and the D is suffering because of it.

• Upvote 2

• UNDBIZ changed the title to 2020-21 Football Season