SiouxSports.com Forum

2nd Bye Week, or should of this been a GDT?

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

For some this will be an exciting day of FB, others may take the day off from college FB.
One thing for sure, we get neither a W or a L.

Will this be the day our season will be remembered for, as NCAA allowed scheduling of 12 games?
Posters already starting posting playoff concerns regarding the 7-4 vs. 8-4 season record.
A potential loss today with a 12th game could of been detrimental, so we have that set aside?
Can we get the W (or quality loss on the road) in a week @ Weber St, this rest will have to figure into that result.

By some ratings, we started the FCS season with the toughest schedule, at this point in the season we have around the 7th toughest.
This plan of a 2nd bye may end up being a smart move for us. Considering results to date, I like were we are sitting.

I was a fan of the double bye week before the season began, and I still stand by it.  We just need to make sure that our bye week is indeed helpful to the team.  We should be the more prepared, better rested team come next week in Ogden.  It would be disappointing not to win that game.

24 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Illinois State would be helpful today (they play UNI)

I'm not even so sure...UNI took Iowa St to 3OT,  played Weber tough on the road, beat Youngstown, plus reputation usually gets them in. Games against WIU and Indiana St at home and @SDSU.  So if they lose to Illinois St today, they likely finish 2-1.  They're 7-5 with an FBS loss.

Meanwhile Illinois St has zero quality wins and schedule remaining after today @SDSU, vs Mo St, @Youngstown.  A win today finally gives them a quality win with no bad losses like ours. Say they split their next two that puts them 8-3 headed to Youngstown. 7-4 if they lose today, and 7-5 if they lose to Youngstown.

So both teams have very realistic chances at finishing 7-5.  If we finish 7-4, I think we're in over Illinois St but honestly bet UNI at 7-5 gets in over us, usually do.

Either way, let's just win out and take care of what we can control. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, SkoHawks said:

I'm not even so sure...UNI took Iowa St to 3OT,  played Weber tough on the road, beat Youngstown, plus reputation usually gets them in. Games against WIU and Indiana St at home and @SDSU.  So if they lose to Illinois St today, they likely finish 2-1.  They're 7-5 with an FBS loss.

Meanwhile Illinois St has zero quality wins and schedule remaining after today @SDSU, vs Mo St, @Youngstown.  A win today finally gives them a quality win with no bad losses like ours. Say they split their next two that puts them 8-3 headed to Youngstown. 7-4 if they lose today, and 7-5 if they lose to Youngstown.

So both teams have very realistic chances at finishing 7-5.  If we finish 7-4, I think we're in over Illinois St but honestly bet UNI at 7-5 gets in over us, usually do.

Either way, let's just win out and take care of what we can control. 

Very true:  This all becomes moot if they win out

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

The ISU loss looks worse now that UNC beat them........

Probably true. But I think a bigger concern could be EWU winning out to finish 7-5 with a win over us. 

Of course the ball is in our court to finish 8-3 and remove all concerns......

2 hours ago, F'nHawks said:

Probably true. But I think a bigger concern could be EWU winning out to finish 7-5 with a win over us. 

Of course the ball is in our court to finish 8-3 and remove all concerns......

EWU SOS is awful, I believe one of the wins was against a division 2 team so probably won’t count.  The only ranked team they have beaten is us.  

On 11/2/2019 at 10:21 PM, ND1 said:

EWU SOS is awful, I believe one of the wins was against a division 2 team so probably won’t count.  The only ranked team they have beaten is us.  

So if they played a division 2 team, wouldn't that be like playing 11 games, similar to us?
I would somehow love to see us play EWU at the Alerus in the playoffs?