SiouxSports.com Forum

UND MH Sweaters ‘19-‘20

UND-MH-Fan

I find it funny the same people who dislike Kennedy for ruining relations with KEM are the same ones who want us to move on to the fighting hawks logo. With the englestad foundation still paying the bills we will see the hawks logo at a bare minimum if UND wants their money. Is the next administration going to bow to KEM?

9 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I find it funny the same people who dislike Kennedy for ruining relations with KEM are the same ones who want us to move on to the fighting hawks logo. With the englestad foundation still paying the bills we will see the hawks logo at a bare minimum if UND wants their money. Is the next administration going to bow to KEM?

So is seeing the Fighting Hawks logo "at a bare minimum" something that you would like to continue seeing at the Ralphm the Betty, or everywhere else on campus?  Is that something that UND and its Athletic Department want to continue to do?  Do you think that the REA doing that is best for the University?  Just wondering.

Making the logo more visible on campus is important.  And it is even more important at UND sporting events.  And is even more important at the most high profile sport at UND.  I am not saying that the logo has to be front and center on the jersey.  On the shoulders is fine.  Having a jersey that actually says "Hawks" on it would be great.  Were fans proud of the Sioux name?  Absolutely.  Can you be proud of the Sioux name and also be proud of the Hawks name?  Yes.  The University, the REA and its athletic teams need to be proud of its name and what it represents.  And that is the University of North Dakota, the school that they play their heart out for every night.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So is seeing the Fighting Hawks logo "at a bare minimum" something that you would like to continue seeing at the Ralphm the Betty, or everywhere else on campus?  Is that something that UND and its Athletic Department want to continue to do?  Do you think that the REA doing that is best for the University?  Just wondering.

Making the logo more visible on campus is important.  And it is even more important at UND sporting events.  And is even more important at the most high profile sport at UND.  I am not saying that the logo has to be front and center on the jersey.  On the shoulders is fine.  Having a jersey that actually says "Hawks" on it would be great.  Were fans proud of the Sioux name?  Absolutely.  Can you be proud of the Sioux name and also be proud of the Hawks name?  Yes.  The University, the REA and its athletic teams need to be proud of its name and what it represents.  And that is the University of North Dakota, the school that they play their heart out for every night.

Love the passion! But at the same time don’t care. We are suppose to be taking about what WE think they will look like or what WE hope they will look like. Not the people we suspect have a say in what little things can and can not be on the jerseys. Who cares who pays for them or gets to place what design where. Everyone of these threads starts out fun and enjoyable to read. Until somebody brings up all the political bull crap.

8 minutes ago, UND-MH-Fan said:

Love the passion! But at the same time don’t care. We are suppose to be taking about what WE think they will look like or what WE hope they will look like. Not the people we suspect have a say in what little things can and can not be on the jerseys. Who cares who pays for them or gets to place what design where. Everyone of these threads starts out fun and enjoyable to read. Until somebody brings up all the political bull crap.

This thread is about the new jerseys for next season.  Sorry if talking about thinks like logos and words on the jersey falls under "political bull crap.  It' may not matter much that much anyway as they will probably have the same jersey design as last year.

30 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

This thread is about the new jerseys for next season.  Sorry if talking about thinks like logos and words on the jersey falls under "political bull crap.  It' may not matter much that much anyway as they will probably have the same jersey design as last year.

Thank you. Also I’m sorry. Lost my cool there a little bit. Ok I’m back. Carry on. You are probably correct, same old jerseys different manufacturer.

11 minutes ago, UND-MH-Fan said:

Thank you. Also I’m sorry. Lost my cool there a little bit. Ok I’m back. Carry on. You are probably correct, same old jerseys different manufacturer.

All good.  I really just hope it it isn't the same design as last year.  They need to make a jersey that you can buy without having to personalize it with a number in the middle.  Hoping for a completely new design, expecting the same.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jdub27 said:

That needed repeating. Heck, I'll save folks the click: 

Earl Strinden, Engelstad Board of Directors: “He wouldn’t have been happy. Many of us are not happy. But Ralph would never do anything to do harm to the University of North Dakota.”

However, Ralph Engelstad was apparently aware the winds of political correctness were already changing. Strinden revealed today that during a meeting in the late 1990’s with then President Kupchella and Engelstad in Las Vegas, that Engelstad suggested the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo be kept for 5 years and then changed.

Ralph was businessman people. He changed with the broader market and the broader market is moving away from monikers like UND's prior. He knew those days were coming. 

I can't do the whole Ottawa thing, but putting the logo on a horizontal stripe might make it work on the chest. 

When folks put it in the circle motif they end up putting horizontal striping behind the logo. It helps widen it out so it's not so squarish on the chest. 

Also, the words "North Dakota" are not required any more. When using the interlock the words "North Dakota" had to be nearby as Notre Dame has that trademark (even though UND used it first). No interlock means no required North Dakota wordmark. 

27 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I can't do the whole Ottawa thing, but putting the logo on a horizontal stripe might make it work on the chest. 

I think you are right on this, also I have had a lot of free time at work, that why I have been able to make a bunch of these mock ups, and ignore the player name please, it was the best example I could find....sorry

Panthers IDea.png

21 minutes ago, sethhag said:

I think you are right on this, also I have had a lot of free time at work, that why I have been able to make a bunch of these mock ups, and ignore the player name please, it was the best example I could find....sorry

Panthers IDea.png

1. The Hawk is ALWAYS white. Every presentation. ANY presentation. The Hawk is always white. 
2. I'd rather see the horizontal bands narrower than the logo, like the Habs, Wild, and Panthers here

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

1. The Hawk is ALWAYS white. Every presentation. ANY presentation. The Hawk is always white. 
2. I'd rather see the horizontal bands narrower than the logo. 

agree, the more I use the logo...the more I realize how hard it is to incorporate into a pleasing design on the front

Panthers IDea.png

5 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I’m sure there are uglier jersey concepts on the planet,.....I’ve never seen one, but the law of averages say that there has to be something worse.

but, maybe not. 

thanks! I am doing my best...glad someone noticed

(checking to see if there is a sarcasm font setting on my keyboard)

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

That needed repeating. Heck, I'll save folks the click: 

Ralph was businessman people. He changed with the broader market and the broader market is moving away from monikers like UND's prior. He knew those days were coming. 

If Ralph knew sometime in and around 2006 (5 years after the REA opened) the name would be changed why put logos that he knew would be impossible to remove and not be able to replace them with new logos. That makes no sense. 

1 minute ago, darell1976 said:

If Ralph knew sometime in and around 2006 (5 years after the REA opened) the name would be changed why put logos that he knew would be impossible to remove and not be able to replace them with new logos. That makes no sense. 

Click link, read article, find: 

Strinden revealed today that during a meeting in the late 1990’s with then President Kupchella and Engelstad in Las Vegas, that Engelstad suggested the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo be kept for 5 years and then changed.

It was an idea that was rejected and followed by more than a decade of nickname controversy. 

Ralph threw it out there. It didn't go anywhere; and, in went the logos.

But Engelstad did throw the idea out there. 

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Click link, read article, find: 

Ralph threw it out there. It didn't go anywhere; and, in went the logos.

But Engelstad did throw the idea out there. 

Did Miles Brand overhear that conversation before his sh*t rule in 2005. 

2 hours ago, sethhag said:

agree, the more I use the logo...the more I realize how hard it is to incorporate into a pleasing design on the front

Panthers IDea.png

Man that hurts my eyes. Not blaming you our logo just sucks. I think many people would move on if it wasn’t for that travesty..... for the record I do own and wear hawks hats and constantly get comments saying go eagles ...... facepalm

9 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I would actually argue it's the people who have blind loyalty to the Sioux logo that seem to be upset with MK and putting the blame on him, mainly due to the athletic department's insistence of the new logo being at center court of the BESC as being one of the issues that triggered KEM's visit to the GF Herald. The Sioux-for-ever crowd isn't going to turn against the Engelstad's because they are still convinced Ralph would have prevented any name change despite someone well respected within UND and close to Ralph stated the Ralph floated the idea of a process to retire the nickname over 20 years ago.

The Engelstad Foundation isn't "paying the bills" outside of the "donations" for upgrades. The large majority of the revenue from the REA comes from UND. 

As for a new president's relationship with KEM, considering she hasn't gotten along with the last 3, I'm not sure how anyone would expect anything different unless they are willing to give her carte blanche in all decisions.

Exactly my point. The sioux forever crowd is on the KEM side. Kennedy and the fighting hawk side on the other. You guys that want to move on to the hawks logo should be the ones vocally supporting Kennedy but many of you are just throwing him under the bus.

47 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Exactly my point. The sioux forever crowd is on the KEM side. Kennedy and the fighting hawk side on the other. You guys that want to move on to the hawks logo should be the ones vocally supporting Kennedy but many of you are just throwing him under the bus.

Well print off a picture of him, grab a bottle of wine and get a hotel room. Have yourself a good time. We are talking jerseys, not your infatuation with Kennedy. Unless they work for Adidas, we don’t care.

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Man that hurts my eyes. Not blaming you our logo just sucks. I think many people would move on if it wasn’t for that travesty..... for the record I do own and wear hawks hats and constantly get comments saying go eagles ...... facepalm

I have gear with both the old and new logos, I say go Hawks all the time, but the logo, in design, does not show well, it's too wide, and much too simple. while it looks great on letter head and in more formal settings, when it comes to sports and passion it falls short in inspiration

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1