SiouxSports.com Forum

2019/2020 Early Departures

cberkas

1 hour ago, franchise said:

What did he honestly contribute that any other guy can't step right in and provide?  

He was ok when he played.  Again, I'm speaking specifically for next year, being a senior and a veteran. 

1 hour ago, franchise said:

What did he honestly contribute that any other guy can't step right in and provide?  

Well, only 4 forwards on the team last year finished ahead of him in plus minus, and 3 of them were the line of Senden, Hain and Smith.  It isn't a foregone conclusion that new guys are going to be responsible on both ends of the ice from the get go.  On the contrary, guys like Adams were just figuring it out at the end of year two. 

1 minute ago, tnt said:

Well, only 4 forwards on the team last year finished ahead of him in plus minus, and 3 of them were the line of Senden, Hain and Smith.  It isn't a foregone conclusion that new guys are going to be responsible on both ends of the ice from the get go.  On the contrary, guys like Adams were just figuring it out at the end of year two. 

Agreed... his pts per game was consistent if not better than a decent amount of players.  Again, I'm assuming he'd get better into his senior year and provide good depth as a veteran in college hockey.

10 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Agreed, he never quite played like many of us thought he would.....but far from an addition by subtraction.  He would have been a senior, he's still developing.  Having another senior to play a 2-4 line role would have been a plus.

I agree Hoff leaving isn't an addition by subtraction. I put him in the "quality depth" category. I wouldn't have slotted him into the 2-4 line role if the roster was fully healthy, but he would be my first guy in, in case of injury. Having him play the first fill in type role would have been very helpful to this team next year. I do agree that he could have then fit almost anywhere on the roster (3rd / 4th lines especially) without a set back in talent. 

As far as addition by subtraction, there are a couple of players on the roster that would definitely fall into that category, but Hoff isn't one of them.  

2 hours ago, AJS said:

I agree Hoff leaving isn't an addition by subtraction. I put him in the "quality depth" category. I wouldn't have slotted him into the 2-4 line role if the roster was fully healthy, but he would be my first guy in, in case of injury. Having him play the first fill in type role would have been very helpful to this team next year. I do agree that he could have then fit almost anywhere on the roster (3rd / 4th lines especially) without a set back in talent. 

As far as addition by subtraction, there are a couple of players on the roster that would definitely fall into that category, but Hoff isn't one of them.  

I admit that I don’t know hockey but I would hope any player we brought in would qualify as a “depth” guy.

I would hope any player we have would be ,at worst, a “depth “ guy.

do we have current players who don’t qualify?

25 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I admit that I don’t know hockey but I would hope any player we brought in would qualify as a “depth” guy.

I would hope any player we have would be ,at worst, a “depth “ guy.

do we have current players who don’t qualify?

Everyone probably does it a little different, but I have always broken it down into the following categories: I'll use this years freshman class as an example as it fits pretty perfectly.

• Cornerstone (Top End): Pinto
  • Top 6 Talent: Blaisdell
  • Quality Depth: Caulfield
  • Depth: Albrecht

It's not an exact science obviously, but there's a difference between Quality Depth and Depth. Using last years team, I would put the likes of Hain, Senden and Smith (as well as Hoff as I stated) under the quality depth category. Guys who would fall into the strictly Depth category would be Johnson / Yon. 

You can be a Top 6 talent and not be in the top 6, depending on the structure of the team. Likewise as we saw last year, you can have guys play in the Top 6 that aren't true Top 6 talent. 

• Upvote 2